new guy - direct tv SWM aiming help.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bkoso85

Original poster
Aug 19, 2014
Hey guys. I have been reading on here. But I'm very new lol. I have the SWM and the DVR HD receiver. We have the same dish at home also.

I'm using this in our travel trailer so we have the tripod. I have been trying to aim this at our home before our trip so I can learn how it all works but it's not working. I have it aimed just like the dish on our house. But can't get any reading what so ever on the single screen. Not sure If I'm over looking something. Thanks for the help

:welcome to Satelliteguys bkoso85!

Are you using the same type of dish and lnb that is on your home? Is it a swm or non swm type? What coordinates are you using to aim it?

If you are using SWM in your travel trailer, some things to remember:

If SWM, Ensure you have a power supply between the receiver and dish, and it's powered.
Redo satellite setup in the menus and ensure you have the right LNB selected - very important if you aren't using SWM.
Ensure you are connected to the SWM port on the receiver, usually #1, if it is a DVR.
If not SWM, you'll need a BBC connector at the receiver but won't need a power supply. If desired on non-swm you'd need two lines.

Then, if still struggling reboot the receiver.

For aim, start with a compass and ensure you have accurate aim directions for your zip code where you are presently.
You want the instructions for satellite 101.
Go to the signal meter screen for 101 on the receiver, the first transponder is fine.
Use the compass to get the right location, set your elevation, and turn very slowly giving the signal meter on the receiver time to respond (3-5 seconds between turns).
Your turning should be in 1/2 inch increments or so.

If still struggling watch some youtube videos on aiming to kind of see it in action.

Thanks for the reply's. Here is what I'm using for my address:
Satellite: 91W GALAXY 17 (G-17)
Elevation: 30.2°
Azimuth (true): 147.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 133.2°

And as far as dish, I'm using this dish and tripod. And yes I have the power adapter for the SWM. And yes using SWM in my trailer. I took the H24 Box out of the house and put it in the trailer.

Attachments

• 10578935_695674853802472_1609999986_n.jpg
    10578935_695674853802472_1609999986_n.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 10588043_695674887135802_1543370735_o.jpg
    10588043_695674887135802_1543370735_o.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 322
you're aiming at the wrong satellite. You should be aiming at directv 101.

OK. For starters, you are aiming a the wrong satellite. You do all the main alignment on sat 101. I suggest that when you use dishpointer.com you go down the scale of satellites until you find DirecTV 5LNB. This will insure you have the right settings. If you include a zip code it would help insure that we can double check your numbers. Since you are copying your home setup I have to assume you have the elevation set correctly. This is one of the typical mistakes a first-timer makes.

Anyway, getting setup on the correct bird is a good first step.

On edit: I see jam3s noted the same thing.

Here is what it says now:

Satellite: DirecTV 5 LNB (99, 101, 103, 110, 119W)
Elevation: 33.5°
Azimuth (true): 160.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 145.5°

My Zip code is: 83849

I was aiming it at 101 from the info on the Direct TV screen.

Here is what it says now:

Satellite: DirecTV 5 LNB (99, 101, 103, 110, 119W)
Elevation: 33.5°
Azimuth (true): 160.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 145.5°

My Zip code is: 83849

I was aiming it at 101 from the info on the Direct TV screen.

What about the tilt/skew?

Sorry, not the bottom of the page, bottom of the map.

Attachments

• Map.JPG
    Map.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 341
103.3 skew on dishpointer.com. But, even if OP puts skew at 90 for 101 he should get all the SDs just great. (Stupid me, I did not look at the pic in Chip's post. Same as what I saw.)

So, bkoso, is it working now?

Nope. I'm not at the rv park and I can't get anything. Here is my address for the rv park. A bunch of other guys have there dishes up and working.

1560 Port Drive, Clarkston, WA 99403. I can't get anything on it.

If I were you I would look for someone that has a setup similar to yours and ask them if they could give you some help setting up yours. People at RV parks are usually more than willing to help someone else with RV issues. You seem to be doing everything correctly, so it is really difficult to understand what might be going wrong.

Are you sure you are using the correct mark for the elevation setting? It's the edge of the metal slider, not where the bolt is....

That is the one I don't understand. What part of it do I look at ? Some of the others that are the same as mine are lifted on blocks. I wonder if I need to tilt mine ?

Check the picture I posted. Some have a line making it easy to tell how to adjust the elevation. Others use the edge of the bracket, but don't have the line on them.

AU9-Slimline-DirecTV-Dish-Bracket-3.jpg

Chip's picture shows the correct elevation marking. And no, you don't need to lift it on blocks. Make sure the post is completely plumb, and then set the correct elevation to the edge of the bracket.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)