Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christopher Cromwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Lexington, KY.
*=Depending on where you live.
Continuing from Part 1, we are going to see if the 3"OD U-Bolts will fit a 2.5"OD pole, because I have some kind of misunderstanding about everything. Holy Reindeer Danish On A Windshield From 30 Feet Batman, It doesn't fit snugly!!! Let's see if I can make these fit another way, maybe I am not understanding how this works..........
20140803_083349_resized.jpg

Nope!! Won't fit that way either!! I guess I could use these if I had to, but I much rather use the U-Bolts that better snug around the pole like............
20140803_083337_resized.jpg

The ones I bought at Lowe's a week before I got the dish at the house!!! Amazing the things you figure out before hand! :)
20140728_120025_resized.jpg

These measure 2.5"OD, the same diameter of the steel post I bought. These will snug and clamp much better around the pole, than the larger ones will. Per Titanium, I am using washers I had laying around my tool chest. :)
20140802_123819_resized.jpg

So I will use the 2.5"OD U-Bolts I bought at Lowe's, with more tread tape applied to the bracket, where it will meet the other tread tape on the pole; per Titanium. The assembled dish is now ready to be set on the pole mount.
20140802_125227_resized.jpg

With a little bit of help from my wife, I got the dish to sit on the pole; without teetering over backwords taking the whole garage with it. :)
20140802_154115_resized.jpg

I now need to locate the Galaxy 16 Satellite. In order to do this easier, as a **TEMPORARY** measure, I used zip-ties to secure the Ku LNB to the C-Band bracket, and the old existing Dish Network cable. I brought out the receiver and spare TV to listen for signal tones to come in. Why did I use zip-ties? Because!!! When I am working so close to the edge of the roof, reaching over the edge of the roof, I can't very well afford to lose screws, tools, or myself on the ground. Why did I use the existing Dish Network cable? Because!!!! I do not want to start cutting into the new spool of cable I bought, without knowing how much I would need. The Dish Network cable didn't have any loss despite looking weathered, so it was good enough to use for a signal locator.
Ku LNB.jpg

The Galaxy 16 Satellite is located here, just above the roof peak. Sorry for the lousy pic.

Galaxy 16 Sat 2.jpg

I located the Ku Band Galaxy 16 Satellite and got it tuned to the best signal I can find, which is already great news for the Titanium C1 PLL LNB.
20140802_205828_resized.jpg

At this posting, the C-Band footprint for the Galaxy 16 satellite is super strong where I live, I am practically in the middle of the bulls eye. A 1.2M dish is all I need!
C-Band Footprint 2.jpg
So I removed the **TEMPORARY** zip-ties and Ku LNB and installed the Titanium LNB which is a beautiful work of art in itself. :) I am still using the old Dish Network cable until I get the C-Band Signal tuned in.
20140803_091226_resized.jpg

20140803_092818_resized.jpg

I moved the LNB closer to the dish to obtain a better signal. I'm sorry if I duplicated pics, the website is giving me problems.
20140803_092209_resized.jpg

This Titanium really lives up to it's name and promises to deliver. I get the best signal possible, so if your on the fence to pick up a Titanium LNB, don't delay anymore! I even bought this on Titanium's website, if he did some checking, he would find my invoice. :-D
20140803_092818_resized.jpg

After I got the best signal I could, I ran the new cable out to my other motorized Ku Band dish, and tightened up all the bolts and U-Bolt brackets.
20140803_100328_resized.jpg

20140803_083410_resized.jpg

As Titanium did correctly mention, the 2.5"OD steel post did not crush or cave in! :)
20140803_100254_resized.jpg

After everything was tightened down, I removed the old Dish Network cable to retire it to the trash. I ran all new cable from the C-Band LNB out to my other motorized Ku Band dish and set up at 4 port switch.
20140803_121305_resized.jpg

I then added on an additional LNB mount for a future science experiment, if it goes well, I will post everything on a new thread. :) I hope to experiment with attaching the old Dish Network reflector to the side of the 1.2M dish reflector and try to maybe pick up the Galaxy 17 satellite C-Band with the two working together as one.
20140809_132045_resized.jpg

My updated motorized Ku Band Dish now looks like this.
20140803_122613_resized.jpg

I also have a functioning Directv Dish to round out my dish farm at the moment. I now have 30+ new channels off of the C-Band dish, that I listed all in another thread by another member. There's only 2 channels that don't come in too well, but 2 out of 30+ is excellent! The important thing is that I managed to solidly put up a new functioning mini-BUD C-Band Dish with an excellent signal, I didn't injure or kill myself from the roof, and I did the very best I could. I am very happy with the job I did and very happy with the result, which is what matters most. I have Titanium to thank for all of his advice and help, and I want to thank him for selling me a very beautiful C1 PLL C-Band LNB, I could not be more pleased with it. It's almost a shame to leave it out to the elements. :)

Attachments

• C-Band Dish 2.jpg
    C-Band Dish 2.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 261
I forgot to mention earlier, that after I installed the 4 port switch, I did notice a 3% drop in Signal Quality. Not a big deal, since this LNB just draws in the signals hard, but I have read that switches tend to have some loss to them; plus with all the cable I have running all over the roof may not help things much. :) I don't remember exactly the length of cable I used, but I used most of 70 feet of cable on one leg, and a better portion of 90 feet of cable on another leg.

Galaxy 17 Sat 2.jpg
The Galaxy 17 Satellite is located here above the house for my next experiment. Again I had to use a camera phone to take a pic of another camera phone, I didn't mean to include me in it. Lol!

20140803_122526_resized.jpg

With 3 large satellite dishes on the roof including the Directv dish, with maybe another one to make it 3-1/2; I am looking like a TV station that I would name after my wife: WMAR TV 48! Martha TV! :)

Congratulations Christopher. You are moving up! :)

Thank you very much for the kind positive words ke4est! :) I do feel encouraged to move up even further with my next dish experiment. :-D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks for the nice pics, now is time for you to move to something LARGER like a C Band dish.

Thank you very much Titanium, I couldn't have done the project correctly without your input. I did apply the thread tape to the pole as well as the inside of the bracket too, to give it the best grip. Like you said, the LNB placement was critical, and it turned out to correct for both LNB's. I would have tweaked with the dish angles a little if I had to, but found out I didnt. I love you LNB so much, I may buy another if my experiment goes well. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Titanium
Find some channels that your wife really likes, and show her how to get to them. Once you get her hooked, you'll likely be able to put up a larger c-band dish.

I personally have a preference for using ground poles as it makes it easy for service. I wouldn't recommend a BUD being mounted on a regular house roof without extensive re-engineering of the roof.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)