new receiver time

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
so i just got new 4k TV (55" samsung 6500)

the sound just isnt up to the old tv, and my receiver bit the dust

requirements
5.1 min(more is better of course)
35w channel (more isbetter)
4k passthrough

im looking at these
Denon AVR-S510BT
ONKYO TX-NR535
Denon AVR-X1100W
Marantz NR1604

what about harmon kardon?
other?

edit it was 1604, not 1504 for the marantz

Last edited:
I love my Onkyo TX NR 609. I've been using it every day for about 4 years and it's a solid product. I know some people don't like Onkyo but I think a lot of that is based on older receivers that used to overheat. They put out a great bang for the buck product now.

They only thing I don't like about the Onkyo you posted is that it doesn't have any form of Audyssey setup or EQ features while mine does. Instead they are using something called AccuEQ Room Calibration that I've never heard of. Now, I haven't researched AVRs since I bought mine so for all I know this could be as good, or better than Audyssey but I doubt it.

Many people here really like Denon receivers but the AVR-S510BT would be out of contention for me for the same reason as the Onkyo.

That narrows it down to the Denon AVR-X1100W or Marantz but it's no coincidence that these are the two most expensive options you listed. Since I don't have any experience with either of those brands it would probably make more sense for someone else to chime in. I gotta say, I really like the slimmer look of the Marantz though.

i know nothing about Audyssey or the alternative, off to do some research.

and yeah that marantz does look nice

With your new UHD TV, you need to make sure you get a receiver that supports HDCP 2.2. Most on that list do not.

The audyssey thing might be a bit of a smokescreen. Both Denon and Onkyo decided to stop paying licensing fees to Audyssey and developed their own proprietary calibration algorithms. This just started with the current generation, so there isn't a lot of review data yet. However, if you consider these calibration tools as a starting point and then adjust to taste, I expect that both of the proprietary systems will do a competent job.

Basically, I wouldn't let A different name for the calibration software scare me away.

The audyssey thing might be a bit of a smokescreen. Both Denon and Onkyo decided to stop paying licensing fees to Audyssey and developed their own proprietary calibration algorithms. This just started with the current generation, so there isn't a lot of review data yet. However, if you consider these calibration tools as a starting point and then adjust to taste, I expect that both of the proprietary systems will do a competent job.

Basically, I wouldn't let A different name for the calibration software scare me away.

This is good info. I had no idea that Denon and Onkyo weren't using Audyssey anymore.

Like I said when I brought it up, I haven't done any research on AVRs since I bought mine 4 years ago. I just know that at the time I bought mine that was one of the things I was told to look for. That may no longer be relevant in 2015.

Onkyo may well be the best choice for UHD at this point with existing support for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

It isn't clear that "passthrough" guarantees 18Gbps support required for HDR. Now is probably too early to be shopping for UHD equipment but since you're forced, you should probably go with what is certified to work.

I think it would be a costly mistake to buy a receiver without HDCP 2.2. It may work today, but it will become obsolete in no time. Unlike earlier versions, HDCP 2.2 requires ALL components to be compliant, even those that are just passing the signal through.

HDCP 2.2 is required for all content providers (D*, Comcast, NF, Amazon, Sony, etc.) and of course UHD Blu-ray. All of the receivers coming out now are full HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. My Pioneers have 3 inputs (VSX-45 and SC91) and my upcoming Yamaha processor has 7. 2015 Denons are full HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 on all inputs. The S series doesn't support HDR, but the X series does.

S~

Last edited:
Denon still uses Audyssey as does Marantz. The version will depend on which level of receiver you choose.

HDCP 2.2 is required for all content providers (D*, Comcast, NF, Amazon, Sony, etc.) and of course UHD Blu-ray. All of the receivers coming out now are full HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. My Pioneers have 3 inputs (VSX-45 and SC91) and my upcoming Yamaha processor has 7. 2015 Denons are full HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 on all inputs. The S series doesn't support HDR, but the X series does.

S~

I'm assuming you are just talking about 4K content when you say HDCP 2.2 is required for all content providers. There is no way Netflix, Comcast, Directv, etc... can be forced to require copy protection that didn't exist when any of the current set top boxes, game consoles, and streaming devices were released.

Even still, 4K is a long way off for me. It's going to require an expensive TV upgrade while my current one still works great and a new AVR even though nothing is wrong with my current one except for its HDMI 1.4 ports and outdated HDCP.

That's a bitter pill to swallow and it's not going to happen until I can afford something 60" or larger. If I'm going 4K it's damn well going to be big enough to see the difference.

HDCP 2.2 is required only for UHD content, and those providers require HDCP 2.2. All other resolutions/HDMI versions use an earlier version of HDCP.

based on the replies, im now thinking onkyo tx-nr636

I think you'll be happy with that choice. Like I said, I really like my TX-NR 609. This looks like the modern version of that with all the new specs you wanted added in.

Go for the 646. Newer model, same msrp with HDR support. 636 doesn't support HDR. Plus it only has 1 HDMI 2.0/HDCP input and output.

S~

Reactions: harshness
doing some research, and it seems like onkyo has had a lot of hdmi issues in the past 4 or 5 years
retkinking this

If you want to spend a little more, the Denon X1200 will have everything and all HDMI posts support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 with HDR support and Audyssey MultiEQ HT. Still better than Onkyo's new room correction. It will also be getting a firmware upgrade in the fall for DTS:X. Pretty future proof.

S~

Reactions: Foxbat
Yeah, Crutchfield almost had me with their Labor Day sale until I noticed all the Denons on-sale were the 2014 models (x1xx vs. x2xx). That could have been a pricey oops if I hadn't picked up on the non-HDCP 2.2 compliance on the 2014s.

Since I still have older analog sources (Pioneer DVL-909 for Laserdiscs!) I also want/need upscaling composite/component to HDMI. That bumps the minimum price I'm looking at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)