New Star Wars Battlefront game by EA

I did it from my tablet and must have hit the wrong forum.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Can't wait. I'm looking forward to getting back into one of my favorite original Xbox franchises. I hope they do the old games justice. I almost bought Battlefront 2 during the Steam Star Wars sale over the weekend. It was cheap enough but I suspect that there can't be many people still playing an online multiplayer game from 2005. I was also worried a game that old would be full of cheaters and it might not hold up well 9 years later anyways.

I just went to the Steam page again and see this at the top.

"Notice: We are currently out of keys for this title. We've requested more from the publisher and will have those soon. Should you purchase this title, your key will be delivered as soon as we receive it."

I've never seen that before. It looks like a lot of people must have jumped on this over the weekend.

Can't wait. I'm looking forward to getting back into one of my favorite original Xbox franchises. I hope they do the old games justice. I almost bought Battlefront 2 during the Steam Star Wars sale over the weekend. It was cheap enough but I suspect that there can't be many people still playing an online multiplayer game from 2005. I was also worried a game that old would be full of cheaters and it might not hold up well 9 years later anyways.

I just went to the Steam page again and see this at the top.

"Notice: We are currently out of keys for this title. We've requested more from the publisher and will have those soon. Should you purchase this title, your key will be delivered as soon as we receive it."

I've never seen that before. It looks like a lot of people must have jumped on this over the weekend.
Well if you want to play this at all, you better hurry. I suppose you missed this more important message:

As of May 31, 2014, online functionality, including network multiplayer and wireless chat, will no longer be available for this title. We regret any disappointment as a result of the shutdown of the services supporting these online features.

This is likely due to Gamespy shutting down, and while some games are being transitioned to newer supporters, I don't see Lucasarts spending the money to convert this to Steamworks.

Well if you want to play this at all, you better hurry. I suppose you missed this more important message:

As of May 31, 2014, online functionality, including network multiplayer and wireless chat, will no longer be available for this title. We regret any disappointment as a result of the shutdown of the services supporting these online features.

This is likely due to Gamespy shutting down, and while some games are being transitioned to newer supporters, I don't see Lucasarts spending the money to convert this to Steamworks.

Yep, I totally missed that part. Funny how they put an orange box around the part I copied over but let the part about online functionality shutting down blend in with the rest of the description. LucasArts is essentially shut down itself so there is about 0 chance of them moving over to steamworks.

There are third party servers like gameranger that can be used for many PC games if you don't like the official servers, you get banned, they shut down, etc... I would think the player base for a 9 year old game like this would be so miniscule that it wouldn't be worth the hassle though. Even the official servers probably don't have many players. The amount of people willing and able to find a third party solution would be a tiny fraction of that.

It looks like the owner of GameRanger is saying that and not whoever owns Battlefront 2 at this point. The game will probably unofficially work using GameRanger as your server just like lots of other PC games do but I doubt the game will natively redirect to those servers. People will probably still have to seek out a way to play BF2 online and install the GameRanger software to use it.

I'll wait for reviews to make sure this game isn't broken when it launches but it's pretty much a guaranteed week 1 buy for me. The only real question is what platform should I get it on? For some reason this seems like a game you should play on PC but I'm much more likely to have friends with the game on PS4 or Xbox One.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)