New to 4K. Dumb question incoming...

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
So I just got this Samsung 4K TV. I'm looking at rearranging my AV connections and started looking at HDMI cables. There are some newer, very fast cables out there. 18Gb/sec. Made for 4K and (I think) 3D.

I don't have 3D (Samsung UN50HU6950F) and I don't have any sources that output 4K.
The TV upscales.... and does it pretty darn nicely.

So far, the only 4K content I've actually seen on this is some stuff from NetFlix.

So here's the dumb question:
If I don't have anything feeding this TV 4K source, do I really need the super duper high speed HDMI cables for everything?
I mean, I'm buying a couple of them for the 2 most important HDMI devices (sat box and a BluRay player I haven't bought yet), but for things like the AppleTV, I can't see getting crazy when that device doesn't need that kind of high speed HDMI cable.

Right?

Here's my thought...
I was going to run all HDMI into the TV. The only COMPONENT connection I have right now is from a DVD changer that I am hoping to replace with the BLuRay Player.
Then run a single optical audio out from the TV to the AV receiver. So basically the AV receiver will handle the sound and the TV will do all the switching.

I just really like the AV receiver and all the speakers all over the place, but if I can push everything from the TV through that one optical audio out to the receiver, it would sure clean up a lot of cable mess in my entertainment center.

The optical audio from the TV will not pass along the higher quality audio from your Blu-Ray to the AVR. You need an HDMI connection for that. I could be wrong but I don't think it will even pass Dolby Digital that originated on an HDMI input to the TV.

These are excellent flexible moderate cost HDMI cables and are all you need. I got tired of worrying about different specs and pitched about 15 cables a couple of months ago and bought these. They are great. Also 4k on Netflix is only available with the 12.00 option but it is worth it. With a 10 mbp connection I still got 4k with the 8000 bit rate. Mediabridge Flex available on Amazon

The optical audio from the TV will not pass along the higher quality audio from your Blu-Ray to the AVR. You need an HDMI connection for that. I could be wrong but I don't think it will even pass Dolby Digital that originated on an HDMI input to the TV.

I just got off chat with Samsung tech support and they're telling me that the optical audio out port will deliver 5.1 digital audio to the AV receiver from the TV using any source that provides digital audio. So.... I guess I'll give it a go and see.

I have to see how I have things hooked up now because I don't remember. :) If my satellite box is connected direct to the TV now.... then the audio out is passing at LEAST Dolby Digital as that's what the receiver is telling me. But I can't remember if the satellite box is going to the AV receiver and THEN the receiver is passing it to the TV..... so... I'll have to check on that. :)

What AV Receiver? You can try. I take anything a CSR tells me with a grain of salt. I have seen very few TVs, yes there are some, that will take an HDMI signal and out put it in 5.1 DD. You also run into problems with Blu-ray running into the TV, for I don't believe Samsung accepts DTS audio. LG does. It's usually best to run all external devices through your receiver and then run an optical out from the the TV for the TV's internal apps (i.e. NF, Amazon).

S~

Not to mention that there is not yet a receiver that can do full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 yet (Denon's top of the line is supposed to be upgradeable). If you are using short runs, probably any decent HDMI cable will probably work just fine.

What AV Receiver? You can try. I take anything a CSR tells me with a grain of salt. I have seen very few TVs, yes there are some, that will take an HDMI signal and out put it in 5.1 DD. You also run into problems with Blu-ray running into the TV, for I don't believe Samsung accepts DTS audio. LG does. It's usually best to run all external devices through your receiver and then run an optical out from the the TV for the TV's internal apps (i.e. NF, Amazon).

S~

So all components to AV receiver and then like... a single HDMI from the receiver to the TV?
Receiver is Yamaha RX-V667

So all components to AV receiver and then like... a single HDMI from the receiver to the TV?
Receiver is Yamaha RX-V667

Yep, make sure you use the HDMI input on the TV that is labeled ARC and turn on ARC on the receiver. That way audio from apps on the TV will get sent to the receiver over the same HDMI cable.

Yep. Exactly as klang stated. You'll also need to enable it in the Samsung setup. I also run a set of component and audio from my D* box to my TV for those times I don't want surround sound.

S~

It's funny how every 2-years I buy a new laptop or phone and the technical landscape has completely changed. The same goes for TVs. I used to know everything about the latest technologies and widgets, but I went into a Big Screen store last week (it has been 4-5 years since I purchased my last HDTV) and I had to learn everything I could about the latest offerings. Anyway, I've decided to hold-off on purchasing an UHDTV sets simply because there is not much 4K material out there right now. But I think things will change by the Holidays. We shall see.

Buyer beware .... HDMI cables that Claim to be able to do 4K ... some can, most can't.

Standards are being worked out as we speak.

Not true. HDMI 1.4 cable is and will be compatible to carry all specs 4k. No need to get rid of current HDMI cables.

Not true. HDMI 1.4 cable is and will be compatible to carry all specs 4k. No need to get rid of current HDMI cables.
OK, you keep yours ...
I'm not saying to go out and buy all new cables.

I'm saying, the new 4K standards are changing ... or never made to begin with, seeing it's as new as it is.

The NEW 4K stuff will require better than the HDMI 1.4 cable your talking about.

Like I said, I wouldn't go out and buy cables yet ... period.

Thanks for the link, it explained exactly what I was talking about.

How many out there have HDMI 1.4 or less cables now ?
Looks like the 2.0 and higher are the ones you need.

HDMI 1.4 supported 4K resolutions, yes, but only at 24 or 30 frames per second. That works fine for movies, but isn’t useful for gaming and many TV broadcasts, which require 50 or 60 fps. Also HDMI 1.4 limited 4K Ultra HD content to 8-bit color, though it is capable of 10 or 12-bit color. HDMI 2.0 fixed all of that because it could handle up to 18 gigabits per second — plenty enough to allow for 12-bit color and video up to 60 frames per second.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/#ixzz3YRsDURI3
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Like I said, I wouldn't go out and buy cables yet ... period.

Thanks for the link, it explained exactly what I was talking about.

How many out there have HDMI 1.4 or less cables now ?
Looks like the 2.0 and higher are the ones you need.

HDMI 1.4 supported 4K resolutions, yes, but only at 24 or 30 frames per second. That works fine for movies, but isn’t useful for gaming and many TV broadcasts, which require 50 or 60 fps. Also HDMI 1.4 limited 4K Ultra HD content to 8-bit color, though it is capable of 10 or 12-bit color. HDMI 2.0 fixed all of that because it could handle up to 18 gigabits per second — plenty enough to allow for 12-bit color and video up to 60 frames per second.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/#ixzz3YRsDURI3
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

It explained too that you do NOT need to change your current cable!

It explained too that you do NOT need to change your current cable!
Note the highlighted portion of the post above.

My whole point was to those that have already got thier set ups and are not doing 4K , no problem, however, if you are doing 4K it might be a good idea to make sure you have the correct cables.

This is from HDMI.org FAQ:

Can existing HDMI cables support the higher bandwidths of HDMI 2.0 Specification?
Yes, existing High Speed HDMI Cables (wire only) will support the new higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps)
HDMI 2.0 specification defined a new, more efficient signaling method, for speeds above 1.4b limits (10.2Gbps), to allow higher bandwidths (up to 18Gbps) over existing High Speed HDMI Wire Cables.

Does HDMI 2.0 require new cables?
No, HDMI 2.0 features will work with existing HDMI cables. Higher bandwidth features, such as 4K@50/60 (2160p) video formats, will require existing High Speed HDMI cables (Category 2 cables).

The funny part is that HDMI cables are actually the only components that you won't need to upgrade for HDMI 2.0!
Everything else needs to be upgraded (primarily because of the new HDCP 2.2 standard): TV sets, source components, A/V receivers, even HDMI switches, since they all now need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant!

Ilya

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)