New to FTA since June 2014, My Dish Farm & FTA Project.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christopher Cromwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Lexington, KY.
Most recent pic of the finished FTA project started in June and completed two weeks ago.
20140706_162200_resized.jpg

With added support in case of 60-70+ high winds added recently.
20140706_162234_resized.jpg

This is a better pic to show the LNB and dish heater taken before the added support was installed.
20140622_104120_resized_1.jpg

I installed these pieces of framing lumber to the other framing joists in the attic for the best roof mount I could come up with. It was blazing hot in the attic, and about did myself in from the heat.
20140622_111843_resized_1.jpg

I use the Manhattan RS-1933 Receiver
20140706_154348_resized.jpg

My Dish Farm includes the very active Directv Dish with dish heater.
20140622_104331_resized.jpg

The dish farm includes the since disconnected Dish Network antenna. But it could be reconnected if needed.
20140622_104356_resized.jpg

Above the satellite receivers and near the HDTV is this warning:
20140629_142913_resized.jpg

On the Directv 11 Satellite 99.2W recently, I came across a much sought after channel from Japan NHK World! :)
20140719_224002_resized.jpg

It is pretty cool getting all the news, weather (including U.S. weather) and lots of other very interesting stuff all from Japan in perfect english with subtitles in some cases. I watch this all the time now, it's so fascinating to watch. I hope I might get some channels from England or France this Fall or Winter when the leaves come off the big tall trees. I hope I don't lose this channel anytime soon!
20140719_230022_resized.jpg

Hello, I'm Chris Cromwell, I am new to the forum; this being my first official thread post. I became reacquainted with FTA early this past spring, by Google searching and visiting numerous sites, including this one to gather all the research I could. Once I found out all of the channels I could get on up to 100 different satellites, I wanted to get them all! By May or early June, I was ready to buy the items I knew I wanted to get started, including the dish motor. I made numerous calls to different vendors like Skyvision & The Satellite Shop. I took a 3 day weekend off of work driving a semi-truck when I was ready to get started on the project. The biggest aggravation was not being able to see or hear the satellite signals coming in. I finally resorted to many trips in and out of the upstairs window with extension cords, TV, cable, receiver, etc.. After I got everything hooked up on the roof, it was a quick 10-12 minute find to lock on to my southern most satellite 87W, and the first image I got was the Echostar Test Card interestingly. By that time is was getting pretty dark and my wife wanted me off the roof. Later that same evening, I shocked my wife when I asked her if she would like to watch football from Kuwait! The second worst aggravation that took up most of that weekend was trying to get the correct story on what the elevation is supposed to be set to on the motor. I finally got the correct answer on Youtube from Sadoun Satellite Sales, geeze....it was beginning to look like top secret information there for awhile!! Anyway, I did spend the next several weekends after that, to locate every Ku satellite and channel that I could, and improving the roof mount for added winds during a severe storm. I can always get another dish and motor if the winds jacks it over hard or worse, but I can't very easily get another large section of roof. At this point I wanted to move on to the C-Band and learning some people getting C-Band on a 90cm dish. So I bought a Titanium C1-PLL LNB with the separate Conical Ring. I spent another weekend with the TV and receiver all on the roof, but I could only get 11% quality on the strongest C-Band satellite with a known good transponder, as my dish was too small. It is looking as though C-Band will not be in the cards for me sadly, as my wife told me we have enough satellite dishes on the roof; and doesn't want a 6 foot C-Band dish out by the side of the house for all the neighbors to see. I still think it would look pretty awesome, as our house is looking more like a TV station with 3 dishes on the roof. I told my wife I would name the TV station after her: WMAR TV 48 Martha TV! She isn't convinced. If anyone knows of any other way to bring in 1 or 2 strong C-Band satellites that carry most of the local TV stations, without another obvious looking dish, I would love to know! If it could be undetected or small, like a C-Band Mobile Dome Antenna, maybe I could get away with it being on the roof. :) Just wanted to give everyone some good positive happy news about my first successful FTA attempt and very happy to finally join the forums not to mention this wonderful new hobby. I am not entirely new to satellite installation however. In 2001, I installed my first Dish Network Satellite system on my Semi-truck where it remained mounted for a good several years. At the same time as well as afterwords, I installed Dish Network systems at my folks house in Colorado, and later on Kentucky where I live now. That was back before installation techs came to be, and you were pretty much on your own when you bought the Dish Network system off the shelf at Sears. :) This post is pretty long so I will end here, I hope to hear from some of you soon.
Chris.

Thanks HamNerd for the welcome! :) I typed out a lengthy response earlier on my phone, to just have it all disappear on me after I sent it with an error, now I have to remember all that I said before and start over again. :-/ I was watching & listening to the Galaxy 19 satellite for a good long while when I first got things dialed in with the motor. After a while, I wanted to see what else I could get on Ku since the C-Band was looking to be not in the cards for me. So a lot of the times when I am surfing around, I will go to the Directv 4 101.2W, Directv 9 101.1W, Echostar 10 110.2W, Spaceway 1 102.9W, Directv 11 99.2W, Echostar 6 96.2W, Spaceway 3 94.9W, ICO G1 94.0W, Brasilsat 3 92.0W, TKSat 1 87.2W, AMC 6 72W, AMC 16 85W, SES 2 87W, Galaxy 28 89W, Galaxy 17 91W, Galaxy 3C 95W, Galaxy 16 99W (where NHK World HD is also on), and SES 3 103W. Since I have an 85cm dish, some channels won't come in at all on cloudy rainy days because the transponders don't transmit very strongly anyway. There are many other satellites to the east I want to dial in, once the leaves are hopefully out of the way in the fall or winter. What I can't figure out is for most channels, the audio sync is way off, no matter what settings I choose on the TV or receiver, or if I am using the HDMI cable or separate audio cable, any ideas? Or is that the way they come in? Like you I am a HAM myself, I just have my Technicians license KI4ALZ, but never really been on the air. My wife won't let me have a 6 foot C-Band dish out by the side of the house, so I already know that a large HAM tower is out too. She would frown on the additional expensive equipment I would buy for it as well, it was bad enough I spent twice as much on the FTA equipment, and wish I could have more. Any ideas on how to get C-Band using the existing C-Band LNB without the huge noticeable reflector, like a mobile dome for example? I might get away with something like that on the roof, if it can't be noticed too well. With all of the large tall trees right behind the house, I would only get a few C-Band satellites, there's two in particular that carry most of the local TV stations I want to tune in to, if I could. What satellites do you look at?

Maybe you get away with a 1.2M dish mounted next to that dish on the roof, and put a good C-Band LNBF on it like the Titanium C1-PLL and CS1 Conical Scaler. I hate dishes on the roof, the up and down like you have experienced, gets aggravating, but if you have wife factor involved.... :)
Anyway stick a 1.2 up there and fix it at 99W C-band, I assume that is the C-Band bird you are talking about. Although that size dish is not ideal for c-band it works pretty decent on 99W for the Puerto Rican Mux with the locals plus others.

I did want to buy the 1.2M dish originally at first, but the price for it at most websites was out of my reach with the added shipping costs. I was then told that the 1.2M dish would be too big and heavy for the roof mount I wanted to use with it, and the other roof mounts for that size of dish would have been a definite no-go for sure with the wife. I then asked her about putting it down by the west side of the house in the ground, but she has told me a few times already that we have enough dishes and wouldn't look good out there either. I could just do it anyway, but it's still out of my price range with the shipping and handling costs, and I would feel bad just going against her wishes. I do already have the Titanium C1-PLL LNB and CS1 Conical Scaler with multi-switch ready to mount, but nothing to mount it with at the moment. Maybe I could ask her again later about the smaller dish 1.2M if I have the money to do it with. :) Like you mentioned there's two satellites that carry the majority of the local TV stations, like WSET TV from Lynchburg, VA. where my wife is from. WSET is on the C-Band of SES 2 87W, which is where I would most likely point the C-Band dish at, if I could. She is interested, only if she could get her Redskins football games on that dish, but since I already have the NFL Ticket on Directv for all the other games, there's not much point.

Wow! Cool!! I finally brought in 20+ more channels by doing a blind scan of the Telstar 14 63W satellite. The signal comes in rather poor due to the large tall leafy trees outside, but it's watchable. :)

Wow! Cool!! I finally brought in 20+ more channels by doing a blind scan of the Telstar 14 63W satellite. The signal comes in rather poor due to the large tall leafy trees outside, but it's watchable. :)

I haven't seen anything on that satellite in years. Are you maybe picking up the Dish Network satellite at 61.5W?

Welcome to the Satelliteguys Home.
If your's looks like a radio station, mine must be looking like a deep space listening post.
Farm-fall-13.jpg

(Right in the front yard just off the sidewalk)
What satellite for a good chnnl selection? 99W on C and Ku. But unsure if the C is miniBUD friendly.
If you do find a 1.2 meter - I don't think I'd put it on the roof. But in the yard - and maybe paint it to blend in or stand out. Don't need 60 mph winds on a 24 sq ft sail up there.

I think I am actually, I noticed a channel for the Dish Network Internet service. But for all the channels I can get in the clear like the All Hero's Channel and FYI Channel or all the CBS and ESPN channels including Tennis channel; Im not complaining. :-D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My FTA Satellite from the ground level. The pole protruding from the LNB was for the extra C-Band LNB that wouldn't work with the dish being too small. I tried to put another Ku Band Standard LNB on there next to the other one as a backup, but I couldn't get a signal out of that either using the same satellite. So I just left it as it was for something in the future, or maybe for lightning to hit it first. :)
20140720_155446_resized.jpg

The dish has to look through all of these very tall leafy trees to the southeast, I will be lucky to pick up anything this fall or winter from here.
20140720_155541_resized.jpg

To the Southwest, it is easier to receive most satellite signals and channels, but on a windy day when the trees move around a lot, not so much.

20140720_155601_resized.jpg

Reactions: jorgek
Good evening. At me to steam of questions to the author of a theme.

This is a better pic to show the LNB and dish heater taken before the added support was installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And why heater Dish at you is pasted on a working part of mirror Dish?.? not from an underside of/end face / Dish.
From such label of a heater there will be a loss of a signal quality.
And the fixture ???????? / a pipe / of the aerial at you is rather weak. Metal thin, the pipe has caved in.
And that the pipe metal was not bent, I put inside a wooden peg.
Also is not present ???????? plastic on a pipe.
And so work correct on installation Dish with the motor.
56a93a689501e6762314369ee37d1189.jpg

4cbbee11a6ad8ec9dfdea083522e0b2a.jpg

I never understood the DSS vendors heaters on the front of the dish, but many were sold over here were meant to be placed on the front. I would never do it that way. If needed I'd figure a way put it on the back.
Agree on 2nd point- best to 'beef up' instead of crush. Any tune up will be tough, if not impossible, as it is.
On the Directv 11 Satellite 99.2W recently, I came across a much sought after channel from Japan NHK World!
That would be G16 @ 99W
http://www.sathint.com/america

Status
Please reply by conversation.