Nintendo Switch Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Other game companies have been tweeting, congratulating Nintendo on the Switch Launch:

I realize the days of the console wars are long over, but it's still weird for me to see these companies congratulating each other. Then again, I'm PRETTY sure that Sony and Microsoft didn't do the same thing when they launched their consoles. It's like they're treating Nintendo as a completely separate entity.

I think they know that Nintendo is not a serious threat to them in the same way that Sony, Microsoft, and Steam are to each other. At this point Nintendo is basically a completely different market segment than those other platforms.

The save thing is a bit of a bummer. I don't worry about making my own backups for my saves but every other system I play on has cloud save support so if I do play on another console or have a hardware failure all my saves won't be lost. This will be a bigger deal for media outlets and other people who play on more than one Switch console. Hopefully the Switch gets cloud save support eventually.

Also, digitally purchased games can only be played on 1 console at a time.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/3/148...eshop-purchases-digital-access-transfer-saves

This one makes total sense. There are ways to play Xbox One digital purchases on two consoles at once but I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting that to happen on their platform. If you bought a physical copy you would only be able to play on one console at a time too.

I think Cloud support may be like 10 years out for Nintendo. I wouldn't be surprised if they just had SD support, which for a portable system is okay.

Can't you just make a backup of the SD card onto another one, or a computer from time to time?
never mind, just saw where saves are on the console, not SD card.

But if I remember correctly, the Wii was the same way at first, and they have a later update that allowed you to move files onto an SD card. So I expect a future update will add that ability.

Is that really a problem?

You can only play disc/cartridge games on 1 console at a time. The only one's this inconveniences are the game sharers.

And since the system is portable, you really don't have the need to log into someone else's system at their house since you can bring your own.
It depends. To switch profiles on the Vita you had to factory reset it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Docked version of Zelda actually runs WORSE than when in portable mode, which is especially odd considering the docked version has a higher graphics processor clock speed.

According to a podcast I listened to today this happens because the Switch screen is only 720p. When you play in docked mode it renders in 900p and then upscales to 1080p to output to your TV. It would make sense that the game runs better in portable mode because it is rendering at a lower resolution.

Because there are framerate issues with this game it seems like they should have just rendered at 720p regardless of whether you are in docked or handheld mode.

You'd figure though that the higher clock rate would be able to compensate for the added resolution. Hopefully they'll be able to optimize the game as time goes on. I know I wouldn't be a happy camper if I basically HAD to play the game on the switch itself as opposed to on one of my big screen TVs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Think it's been done for a while, world think any optimizing would have been done by now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt that, especially for the Switch version. Everything about this launch has been rushed, and there's a world of difference between "works" and "works well." Nintendo has been all about just getting this damn thing out the door so it gets out before the end of this fiscal year, and I'm sure extra tweaking is one of those things that got sacrificed. And it also doesn't send a good message to the consumer that the best experience in playing will be in portable mode. The two should really be as close as possible, and in regards to Zelda there's a massive difference.

According to Target's website availability checker the Switch is still in stock at my local Target as well as all 10 other Target stores within 50 miles of me.

I'm temped to go buy one just because I can (and I have that tax refund just sitting in my bank account). I'm not going to do it though. I have no business buying one right now when the only current game I want to play is Zelda and I just started Horzion Zero Dawn and have Mass Effect pre-ordered for later this month.

M2nNSXkjT1urbyOy_QIY-a27PcfyH1Y6yEJ8vV-42zI.png

My thoughts were pretty similar to this yesterday. Luckily I was able to show a little more restraint than I usually am able to this time. Even by the time I was out of work last night there were a couple Target stores in the area with stock available and I managed to avoid buying one.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to hold out until next Fall but it just didn't make sense to buy one before I am finished with Horizon and Mass Effect. I could be convinced to grab one this summer, especially if there is a bundle that includes Zelda.

My thoughts were pretty similar to this yesterday. Luckily I was able to show a little more restraint than I usually am able to this time. Even by the time I was out of work last night there were a couple Target stores in the area with stock available and I managed to avoid buying one.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to hold out until next Fall but it just didn't make sense to buy one before I am finished with Horizon and Mass Effect. I could be convinced to grab one this summer, especially if there is a bundle that includes Zelda.
I say wait until Christmas. More games available and better deals to drive holiday sales. That's my plan.

I say wait until Christmas. More games available and better deals to drive holiday sales. That's my plan.

It just depends on what deals are available. I'm not too worried about the library because I would just be buying this for Nintendo exclusives and I know that they will support it well just like all their previous consoles. If I saw a good deal for the Switch and Zelda together I wouldn't hesitate to buy it even if it will probably go unused for months at a time just like my PS4 and Xbox One do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts