Nintendo Switch Thread

M2nNSXkjT1urbyOy_QIY-a27PcfyH1Y6yEJ8vV-42zI.png
simple solution

wiiu-retail-edition.png

You'd figure though that the higher clock rate would be able to compensate for the added resolution. Hopefully they'll be able to optimize the game as time goes on. I know I wouldn't be a happy camper if I basically HAD to play the game on the switch itself as opposed to on one of my big screen TVs.
I've been playing it on a 55" tv. Don't see any issues with it.

Are you intentionally looking for bad things on the new nintendo product?

After a weekend of playing around with the switch, I pretty much only have 2 complaints. Both control related.

When using the controller holster, the sticks are directly above (or below) the buttons, as opposed to being offset. And the plus & minus buttons are way at the top, resulting in more thumb movement than I'm used to. The pro controller would probably alleviate this, but didn't feel like paying $70 for one. All in all, the controller holster setup was easy to get used to though. My biggest screwup (ie, hitting wrong buttons) with games is how Nintendo has A & B functions opposite Xbox and Sony of America, I wish they'd swap them for the NA market the way Sony does.

The biggest peave though is with the strap connector. It goes on easy enough, but it is a major PITA to get off. It's on very stiffly, and I feel like I'm going to break something trying to get it off.

I have a 3rd issue with the joy-con, but it's minor and probably a consequence of it's main role to fit in the holster. In SNES mode, the thumb stick and buttons are in different places from the left to the right joy-con. Just weird from what I'm used to, plus the joy-con by itself is very small.

On the pluses to the system. Starts up really fast, and is very seemless between tv and handheld mode. At first the table looked like it would be too small, but with the joy-cons attached it's at a good size.

We played 3 different games over the weekend. Zelda, which me and the kids all liked. The kids had a lot of fun with 1-2 switch. It's a good party game, but about $20 more than a game like that should be. My youngest played Skylanders. It's basically skylanders, nothing real different from the playstation version he already has, except that he loves being able to take it portable.

Also, something sorta cool. Due to how the controller holster is designed, with the joycon's attached, it will remain standing up by itself.

An afterthought, the kickstand open up too easily. I guess that's good, in that you don't want it to open too easily. Tested this when I added micro USB cards to the unit.

I've been playing it on a 55" tv. Don't see any issues with it.

Are you intentionally looking for bad things on the new nintendo product?
No, I'm pointing out the fact numerous people have reported the same finding that playing Zelda docked has worse performance than playing in portable mode. That's a LEGITIMATE problem. Ideally, it should not matter if you have the system docked or not. Nintendo is pushing this as a console and handheld hybrid, meaning that you're really getting 2 devices for the price of 1, and doing this while still supporting the 3DS line of systems. If the difference between docked and portable mode is so obvious that numerous respected reviewers like ProJared, Jim Sterling, Laura K Buzz, and Jeff Gertsmann are acknowledging it, then it's a problem. The system should run as close to the same as possible regardless of the conditions. This is compounded by the fact that I can't find anything in the Nintendo marketing of the Switch that explicitly and openly stated that performance could be affected by what mode the system is in.

Some Sources:

Now obviously it's too early to flatly declare that all games play better in portable versus docked mode, but when "the" launch title of the Switch has these performance issues, then it's a big deal, especially when Zelda is so obviously the System Seller of the bunch. Lord knows people aren't buying the Switch to play 1-2 Switch, a tech demo that should have been a pack-in game. And yes, there's still time for Nintendo to do more optimization and tweaking of the game to improve performance, and I hope they do because I'd like to think that this was just a special circumstance of inefficiencies due to learning the hardware, as opposed to a fundamental problem in the Switch's Design.

Besides, I don't need to seek out bad things about the Nintendo Switch. It's been well documented elsewhere.

And also, don't buy a wrapper/skin for it yet:

Just to clarify, I am NOT a Nintendo hater, nor do I wish them any ill will nor do I want the Switch to fail. In my own discussion video I did when the Switch had its big reveal, I pointed out that I definitely see myself getting a Switch in the future, so why would I throw unwarranted venom towards something that I see myself not only buying, but using as a proper gateway to get my own children into gaming? I feel like it's a case of shooting the messenger where I'm targeted as a "hater" simply because I post things that don't put Nintendo in the best light. Nintendo is the one doing it, I'm just pointing it out. There's also nothing wrong with being critical of decisions Nintendo makes. If a company like Nintendo does something crappy and no one is vocal about it, then they'll just keep doing it.

simple solution

wiiu-retail-edition.png
Yes, assuming someone has a Wii U. king3pj does not, so it makes more sense for him to play it on the Switch as opposed to buying a whole new system for what is the last game Nintendo (and likely everyone else) is going to ever make for it. I'm lucky enough to still have mine so I'll be playing it on there as opposed to the Switch (hopefully tonight BTW.)

No, I'm pointing out the fact numerous people have reported the same finding that playing Zelda docked has worse performance than playing in portable mode. That's a LEGITIMATE problem. Ideally, it should not matter if you have the system docked or not.
You keep posting lots of links about how bad it is. Here's an idea, try to use it yourself and do a real review of it, instead of always posting bad links you dredge up from youtube.

Otherwise it makes you appear like a troll hoping the system does bad, and gets tiresome to those of us looking for real information instead of someone's youtube search of "switch sucks".

Except he's not, and you know that. Maybe keep the name-calling in the Pit.
Then what is it? He's posting several videos to rip on a system he has no experience with.

Sorry, but constant (it sucks) videos get tiring to wade through. If your going to post comments on a system, then comment on experience with the system. We don't need several videos by youtube "celebrities".

And I didn't call anyone a name, I just said that the constant negativity on something he's never used appears to make him appear to be one (btw, namecalling isn't allowed in the pit either).

Then ignore him and contribute to the discussion. There's much more negative than positive out there for a reason, the system is half baked. It's crazy how only in the last day or so we're hearing about things like losing all of your saved game data if you have to replace it, despite having expandable storage. Because you know, we need to make sure people cheat, even if it's at one of the biggest possible expenses to our customers.

Him and King go back and forth on all sorts of topics at length, and often in a 'write a novel' format. Just how the video games section goes. There is a flurry of news because it's a console launch.

You keep posting lots of links about how bad it is. Here's an idea, try to use it yourself and do a real review of it, instead of always posting bad links you dredge up from youtube.

Otherwise it makes you appear like a troll hoping the system does bad, and gets tiresome to those of us looking for real information instead of someone's youtube search of "switch sucks".
You honestly think I spend time during my day actively looking for negative things about the Switch? I WISH I had that much free time on my hands.

To address the accusations leveled at me, just because you've had great experiences with it doesn't mean the experience is universal. You mentioned that "I've been playing it on a 55" tv. Don't see any issues with it." Well good for you, but LOTS of other people say otherwise, so either A: You're one of a lucky few that isn't experiencing it, or B: You just haven't noticed that there is an issue. Reporting on inconsistent performance is not me taking a sh*t on Nintendo, but rather its me letting people know about a VERY REAL PROBLEM with what is the biggest release on this system, and will likely remain to be the biggest release until Super Mario Odyssey comes out. And as I've mentioned NUMEROUS times, the performance issues may be the result of unpolished code, and not that its a bad game. As a programmer myself, I can tell you that a developer almost NEVER releases something in a perfect state, or even the most ideal. You get something that is as good as it can be out the door and then go through your "TODO" list later on. Of course, that's assuming you're not swamped with bug fixes at the same time.

The fact that Zelda was released in such a relatively good state to begin with is a testament to how GOOD the developers were. Remember that this was arguably the biggest game Nintendo has EVER made in terms of scope and ambition, which is already a massive task. Then the higher ups told the developers that they had to not only finish development on the Wii U version, but also at the same time port it over to a completely different system, AND it HAD to be ready as a LAUNCH title. Kudos to Nintendo for releasing such a polished product at launch.

Having said all that, people DESERVE to know before they spend $360+ of their hard earned money how the game performs in various conditions, and at this point it's basically a FACT that the game has more noticeable performance hits in docked mode than it does in portable mode. For someone like me, who will be playing every game in docked mode more than in portable mode, that's a serious issue. Time will tell if this will happen more often, but when it happens on the biggest release of the launch, it's news.

I don't hate on things nor am I a troll, nor do I think I'm acting as such by posting negative news about something. It's not MY fault that the Nintendo Switch is a RUSHED system that was released simply to appease stockholders with a nice end of fiscal year bump to sales/profits. This is made evident by the lack of games, lack of basic system features, lack of full online service, and lack of virtual console. Speaking of VC, just because YOU don't play Virtual Console stuff doesn't mean a lot of other people don't. By your logic, if your local McDonald's doesn't have fish sandwiches anymore, as long as you don't eat them, WHO CARES?! Well, everyone ELSE who DOES eat them cares! And to not have the VC up at launch likely affected a number of people and made them NOT want to buy the system at that time.

BTW, no one is FORCING you to watch the stuff I post, and I'm not posting videos that say "HUR HUR SWITCH SUCKS WATCH THIS."

Just to refresh your memory, the videos I have posted here are:

Switch Reveal
Jimmy Fallon Debuting the Switch on The Tonight Show
My own thoughts on the Switch and Game lineup revealed (A video you Liked, BTW)
A Super Mario Odyssey Parody Video
Nintendo Switch Unboxing
A link to a video from someone who illegally got a Switch early and showed off the UI (Not a YT link)
Introducing the eShop and News
A video from Digital Foundry documenting that Zelda runs better in Portable mode than Docked Mode (BTW, DF does visual and frame rate analysis on ALL major releases, as you can see on their channel.
An iFixit teardown of the Switch
Finally this post from earlier where you accused me of intentionally looking for bad things about Nintendo, where I provided evidence to my point that Zelda has some performance issues.

So the only "Switch Sucks Video" I posted seems to be from an independent company that provided hard evidence that Zelda has performance issues, unlike you who just provided anecdotal evidence.

To finally put this to bed because I refuse to waste anymore of my time "defending" myself against baseless accusations questioning my bias and/or credibility, me reporting bad things about Nintendo is simply me reporting stuff that has been reported elsewhere. I'm not about to go out and spend hundreds of dollars to buy my own Switch and games to confirm every single issue that others have with their system. I'm just relaying information. Rather than focus on my reporting of these things, instead just enjoy your Switch. And once again, I am NOT a Nintendo hater. You can like a company but also point out when they do crappy things or things that don't work out perfectly, and Nintendo is experiencing that right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: meStevo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts