NIT search?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
Just curious but has anyone played with the NIT seach option to see how it works?

Just curious but has anyone played with the NIT seach option to see how it works?

Mr3p,

I don't think we can test this feature very well. The satellite provider must present a NIT for it to operate at all and I don't know if there are any providers in North America that offer this. It never worked as far as I could tell with my Coolsat box and it doesn't seem to do anything with my AZBox either. If any provider in N.A. does offer this, I would suspect they are encrypted services and therefore of no benefit to us FTA'ers.

I think it is one of those perks that we will never be able to use here, but they may be able to use it in Europe/Asia, etc.

RADAR

What is NIT (Network Information Table) SEARCH?

When searching channels using this method, the receiver will first Auto tune the TP’s in the receiver’s database. Then, it will search for any NIT information, which may be broadcast by the satellite service provider, from the signal available and subsequently tune those TP’s which are not included in the receiver database.

What is NIT (Network Information Table) SEARCH?

When searching channels using this method, the receiver will first Auto tune the TP’s in the receiver’s database. Then, it will search for any NIT information, which may be broadcast by the satellite service provider, from the signal available and subsequently tune those TP’s which are not included in the receiver database.

Hi Sadoun,

If I may, I would like to add to your description above with a description of my own understanding of the NIT search that I got through bits and pieces of reading over the years. I won't say that my interpretation is totally accurate, but it seems to explain the NIT fairly well for my own satisfaction.

For example: Satellite provider "XYZ Sat" owns or leases many satellites around the world. They have a big fleet of sats and provide many signals to multiple locations. For certain regions, more than one satellite is viewable to "XYZ's" customers.

If their customers were to scan one specific XYZ sat and one specific transponder, they may have access to "XYZ's" NIT (Network Information Table). Within that transmitted NIT, XYZ maintains an updated list of all their satellite fleet and all the active transponders on those satellites. Therefore, if your receiver has the authority (privileage) and capabilities to disseminate the information, you need only perform a scan of that one TP that transmits the NIT and your receiver will acquire the entire list of their satellite fleet and all the transponders and possibly even the current channel list for everything.

So, rather than moving your dish to scan XYZ's other satellites, you scan once on one satellite and obtain the information for ALL the other XYZ satellites from that NIT.

I view the NIT as a downloadable satellite/transponder/channel list from the satellite itself. Is this roughly your idea of what the NIT is supposed to be and do as well? This is the best explanation that I can muster, but as I say, I don't know if I am correct in my assumptions.

RADAR

The only problem is that just about the only networks that keep accurate NIT info are Dishnet and Bell EV. There may be one or two others, like one of the G19 networks like Globecast and one of those religious networks. But for the most part a network scan isn't going to do much for you. Most of the transponders up there don't have NIT streams, and most of the NIT streams I've seen had bogus info in them, and most of the transponders up there aren't part of a network.

Globecast does work with the NIT scan but its only the Globecast TP's..the rest wont show up. You have to manually enter them

The only problem is that just about the only networks that keep accurate NIT info are Dishnet and Bell EV. There may be one or two others, like one of the G19 networks like Globecast and one of those religious networks. But for the most part a network scan isn't going to do much for you. Most of the transponders up there don't have NIT streams, and most of the NIT streams I've seen had bogus info in them, and most of the transponders up there aren't part of a network.

Globecast does work with the NIT scan but its only the Globecast TP's..the rest wont show up. You have to manually enter them

I believe that we have covered the subject of the NIT search pretty well here and I am sure that most of us agree that it is not a well utilized or offered perk for North American FTA services.

I was going to mention Globecast as being one provider that might offer a good NIT, but I couldn't verify that. They would be the most likely candidate, in my opinion.

It is interesting and neat that it is available (as an option in our receivers), but it doesn't work because it isn't a service that is offered from our FTA providers. Well, not as far as I know anyhow and difficult to verify.

RADAR

I tried it today on the Azbox. I removed the 97W satellite from the list and re-entered a new one. I put in one of the Globecast TP's and did a YP scan with NIT search on
(I had a azbox that had a bad sat list in it)

It logged like a dozen transponders.....all Globecast but no others

I tried it today on the Azbox. I removed the 97W satellite from the list and re-entered a new one. I put in one of the Globecast TP's and did a YP scan with NIT search on
(I had a azbox that had a bad sat list in it)

It logged like a dozen transponders.....all Globecast but no others

Ice,

That appears to prove that it does work, at least for Globecast anyhow. Pretty cool, indeed! :)

RADAR

yeah Globecast seems to work fine. Havent found really any other service other than Dish & Bell that work with NIT

Like BJ said, there are a lot of bogus NITs up there. I remember finding a lot of them with TSreader one day when I was bored and looking at all the data. Somebody (Microspace on 103w maybe) was evidently using old Dish encoders because they had NIT entries for 119w! Then there are tons and tons of TPs that are evidently encoded by European-made equipment that nobody has bothered to change the default setting on, because they point to 19e.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)