No Man's Sky Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well those are just my impressions. Other people seem to be enjoying it, but if you're not into that sort of game, NOTHING about this will make you a convert.

Off of the NMS talk, looks like Sony is FINALLY starting to roll out the 2 step verification. When it goes live, make sure you all get it, given Sony's ATROCIOUS record with security and then f*cking people over who have the gall to dispute and refuse to pay for stuff they didn't actually buy.

This made me laugh..

It definitely doesn't look anything like that E3 video even on PC. The dumb thing is that video is still the first one that automatically plays when you visit the No Man's Sky store page on Steam. They show you this video with lush grass and nice textures everywhere but most planets I have seen only have small patches of grass. Most of the ground is bare rock textures in varying colors and those textures don't look very nice on a big 2560x1440 monitor. Barren rocky planets are probably more realistic in terms of what actual planets would look like but it's not what I was expecting from their presentation footage.

I'm still enjoying the game and I have played it every single day since release. I've got 14 hours in now and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. I've also come across some more interesting story elements the last two nights and I wasn't even aware that there would be a story going in. I do wish the actual planets looks a bit more like the marketing material though. I went in expecting to take tons of screen shots of these amazing looking planets but I haven't found many landscapes worth saving.

Well I've finally written up my thoughts on No Man's Sky.

http://yourbeliefs316.blogspot.com/2016/08/no-mans-pie-in-sky.html

I sent it back today in order to secure my copy of Dues Ex, as I'm nowhere near done with my other game Odinsphere.

One last note about NMS. So apparently some guy on Reddit posted something that is a either a work of brilliant satire or amazing insanity. Regardless, Jim Sterling did a dramatic reading of the post verbatim and it requires your attention.

Edit: Here's the post being referenced. Apparently it's some copypasta, but it still is quite the laugh.

Last edited:
I didn't want the PS4 thread to keep getting filled with posts about this game, especially since it has it's own issues on PC.

A couple of people on Reddit did a very thorough and in depth analysis on the No Man's Sky that was advertised to consumers and the NMS that was eventually released. It's rather jarring the differences between the two. I mean it's not uncommon for games to change from development to release but it's quite apparent that the hype the game got was a vicious cycle, and that while the company may have wanted to deliver on a bunch of its promises, it looks like they eventually realized they just couldn't deliver on it and instead just threw together what they could. It should be noted that the development team was very small, and the last thing they were known for creating was basically a modern remake of Excitebike.

So people have been hard at work on No Man's Sky mods on PC since it came out. When I first looked at a website dedicated to them a couple days ago after yourbeliefs posted a link I didn't see anything I really wanted to use. Checking again today I see that there is a lot more stuff. I will be testing out a couple of the mods tonight.

http://nomansskymods.com/

The first one I want to try is the internal resolution multiplier mod. I mentioned in the other thread that I thought the textures looked bad. Well it turns out that if you play at any resolution other than 1080p the game has a bug where it renders internally at a lower resolution and then upscales to your monitor's resolution. This is one of the main reasons the famous DSFix mod for Dark Souls exists. Since I play at 1440p I have most likely been getting a lower resolution render upscaled to 1440p. This would explain why I thought the textures were so ugly. This mod fixes this bug so the game renders at your native resolution.

The second one I want to try is a mod that removes the chromatic aberration, vignetting, and scan lines from the game. This is something I have been looking for in the options since day one. I hate the way they mess with the image quality with these effects.

The vignetting is particularly annoying to me. This is when developers make the artistic choice to make the edges of the screen darker than the middle. You can see this effect if you look at the upper corners of this screen shot I took. It might not be what the artists intended but I just want the image to be clear and sharp.

5487ADA6324D3DBD54BEC423FE31AFFDC048C338

Well I installed the two mods I mentioned and tested it out tonight. I am really happy with the results and the game looks much closer to what I imagined from the pre-release marketing. I got rid of the the vignetting, chromatic aberration, and scan lines that were hurting the imagine quality in my opinion.

I also got the game to render at my native 2560x1440 resolution instead of rendering much lower than that and upscaling to my resolution. If you compare the screen shots I took tonight with these mods to the one I posted earlier today I think you'll see what I'm taking about. I'm really looking forward to seeing what modders can do with this game over the next several months when they have already done this much in the first week.

To be fair, it doesn't hurt that the planet I explored tonight was the most lush and pretty planet I have seen yet. From my first 14 hours with the game I was starting to think these grassy planets from the E3 demo didn't actually exist.

4394E9E6EA1CC1485A8C5B5BA1D9103972B4D81D

52E1C20E5AD06206B6533D4D133CFDEDF417B0E5

45CE075298A616059D4F89621232BBB4F53054EC

DDC08B0DA5C8C4B9E7810FC1A77B48FE61ED7AD1

Last edited:
Can a Mod pull all the No Man's Sky posts from the PS4 thread and put them here?
If I do that it will move them up above yourbeliefs post #1 here. If he and the others are fine with that, I will work on it later today.

Wow, those screenshots almost make the game look interesting. ;p

I know you're kidding but between the mods and visiting a planet full of stuff I had never seen before I had a much better time with the game last night. It wasn't only the lush landscape. There were also resources I hadn't found on other planets, ruins all over the place, a huge river system, and two different types of plants that tried to kill me if I got too close to them. One is a plant that shoots poisonous gas at you. I had seen these before. The other was a pink ball that looked like something that you should check out. When you get too close it shoots spikes out in every direction and you take damage.

I think a lot of people would have stuck with this game longer if they saw planets like this one earlier on in the game. I had already played over 14 hours and visited quite a few planets and this is the first one I have seen like this. I'm hoping lush interesting planets are the norm as you get closer to the center of the galaxy and not the exception like they have been so far.

Reactions: lakebum431
I know you're kidding but between the mods and visiting a planet full of stuff I had never seen before I had a much better time with the game last night. It wasn't only the lush landscape. There were also resources I hadn't found on other planets, ruins all over the place, a huge river system, and two different types of plants that tried to kill me if I got too close to them. One is a plant that shoots poisonous gas at you. I had seen these before. The other was a pink ball that looked like something that you should check out. When you get too close it shoots spikes out in every direction and you take damage.

I think a lot of people would have stuck with this game longer if they saw planets like this one earlier on in the game. I had already played over 14 hours and visited quite a few planets and this is the first one I have seen like this. I'm hoping lush interesting planets are the norm as you get closer to the center of the galaxy and not the exception like they have been so far.
Well that's another issue with a completely procedure-generated system. If there's no guidance in terms of experience that means that people can get thrown off early very quickly. It was like the time my game crashed and I rebooted in a new game and I started off and it put me on a planet with acid rain. It probably would have been smarter for them to truly script the first dozen or so objectives and present the best possible experience from the start. I mean I doubt even if I had been presented with a lush area like that from the start that I'd still be playing but it also didn't help in this day and age of Lets Play where most people just saw these desolate barren planets. I mean what good is exploring a huge galaxy if you just keep finding desolate places?

Wow, so evidently the "ending" of the game (when you reach the center of the universe) is bad. Really really bad. I won't spoil here, but it is easy to find if you use google. Makes me more happy that I didn't play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)