No Picture with HDMI--there is sound

dlharm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 5, 2009
So. Central Nebraska
Hopefully someone here can help with this issue. I have a Sony Bravia tv and a Pioneer A/V rcvr--Model vsx-1019 plus a blu-ray player and DVD recorder. I run the HDMI out--to the TV and from the A/V I run HDMI's to the HD recorder and Sony Blu-Ray player and a Hopper w/Sling and have used the set-up for years this way. Here recently when I turn on the system the picture does not come in but I do get the sound. Sometimes if I shut off and on again the pic will come in.
Is one of the HDMI inputs going bad and could it be the one out from the A/V rcvr to the Hopper?
Both the TV and the A/V rcvr are 2009 models.
Right now I by-passed the rcvr and am running the HDMI from the Hopper directly to the TV.
Any help would be appreciated and if I need to supply more info please ask.
Thanks!
I wonder if I should have put this in the Dish thread.
Duane

It could be an HDMI cable that is failing, or the HDMI port itself. Also possible is that since the receiver is about 7 years old, some changes in HDMI/HDCP have occurred that the AVR doesn't understand.

So the easiest way to check cable or port is to swap the current cable from the Dish unit to one of the other HDMI ports. It if works there, then the port is bad. If it doesn't then the cable might be the issue. To test that take a cable from one of your other units and use it with the Dish unit. If it works then the cable is bad.

If doing both those things doesn't fix the issue then it is probably a HDMI/HDCP issue and you might want to go shopping for a new AVR! :)

In doing the suggestions mentioned --and not getting much for results I'm thinking the HDMI out on my AVR that goes to the TV is the culprit. So I may need to look at a new a/v receiver.
I had a firmware up-grade on the a/v rcvr done at a certified Pioneer service center to address HDMI issues --and this was maybe 4 yrs. ago. I'll check with Pioneer and see if another update is available, by chance..
I'm not sure if I can do anything else at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)