No Signal from SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SeaWolf34

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Greenville, Wisconsin
I've setup my SWM5 (SL5 LNB) system at a Campground. It took 8 days to get here. Problem: The HR44 IRD is not seeing the SWM satellite LNB's. Also it's giving me an error; 775.

I set up the Slimline using an OTM 500 Sat Tracker. Have over 90% sig, and 100% Quality on 101.1 W ; 70%+ sig, 80%+ Quality on 119.0 W.

Initially I did not use a SWM 8way splitter, since only 1 line goes to the power inserter. No other IRDs. The LNB out cable goes from the inserter directly to the IRD. IRD powered by 12v converter. After powering the IRD on, it essentially said my SWM dish didn't exist! Instructions for solving the problem were useless (to me).

Final attempt was to insert an SWM 8way splitter on the line out of the LNB and connect to the line IN to the inserter. No change. My LNB,s are still non-entities to the HR44.

I am in need of help. Is there a way to recover without grovelling to D*?

I'm wondering more about the IRD being powered by a 12v Convertor.

I'm wondering how close you are to 110 or 120 volts .... and how accurate the line voltage has to be for the Power Insertor to work.

IF you had access to a Non SWM lnb, I would go that route and see if that works.

IF you had access to a Non SWM lnb, I would go that route and see if that works.

Not with an HR44.

I am also concerned about your power inserter connections. Power to SWM goes to the LNB and signal to IRD goes into the HR44, right?

Not with an HR44.

I am also concerned about your power inserter connections. Power to SWM goes to the LNB and signal to IRD goes into the HR44, right?
Your right.

Like I think your saying, do we know for a fact that the PI is working properly and getting the correct voltage to the LNB.

I know you need a SWM to run the Genies, it slipped my mind at the time.

Like I think your saying, do we know for a fact that the PI is working properly and getting the correct voltage to the LNB.

If possible disconnect the coax from the LNB and measure for voltage, it should be 19-22 volts. Worst case if you don't have any other way, short it by connecting the center copper and shield and you should see a small spark.

I'm wondering more about the IRD being powered by a 12v Convertor.

I'm wondering how close you are to 110 or 120 volts .... and how accurate the line voltage has to be for the Power Insertor to work.

Converter is labeled 120v, 1.1a, 60 Hz converted to 12v, 4a. My 5th wheel has a reliable voltage in. The converter was powering my HR44 at home.

If possible disconnect the coax from the LNB and measure for voltage, it should be 19-22 volts. Worst case if you don't have any other way, short it by connecting the center copper and shield and you should see a small spark.
Thanks. Never thought of that. I have a volt meter onboard (somewhere). I'll check it out.

Converter is labeled 120v, 1.1a, 60 Hz converted to 12v, 4a. My 5th wheel has a reliable voltage in. The converter was powering my HR44 at home.
Your converter is probably not the issue, but trying to narrow it down, most times you don't have a convertor, I was not sure how finicky the PI is.

Reactions: raoul5788
Have you checked all of your connections? I'm thinking you have a loose cable or connector.

Thanks. Never thought of that. I have a volt meter onboard (somewhere). I'll check it out.
Have you checked all of your connections? I'm thinking you have a loose cable or connector.

All connections are tight. Had one finger tight one, which I tightened. No difference.
The LNB is new. I moved the LNB output line from the far left to the far right. Same response. Checked the Pwr inserter voltage at the inserter and at the dish. Voltage 20.2 to 20.5 (depending on splitting hairs where one marked interval represents 0.5 volts)
I am going to pull the LNB off and read the voltage at the end point. Not expecting much though. Still getting 775 error!

Last thought. Is it possible D* just shut me down because I traveled 8 days before setting up where I am now? And, if so, what must I do to get reinstated w/o unpleasant dialog:coco?

Your lnb isn't a swm type If it has more than one port.

Your lnb isn't a swm type If it has more than one port.
Well, isn't that a kick in the tukus! Would you (or anyone so disposed) tell me exacly which 5 LNB unit I need. Still might be able to get it today at a local sat shop.

And, thanks for your interest and help (all y'all) in solving my problem. I didn't know that I didn't know!

Dennis

Since you are using an HR44, you have to have a swm setup. That means either a swm lnb, or four cables from the lnb you have to either a swm8 or swm16 switch to the HR44, with a power inserter, too.

You should be able to ask the Sat shop for a 5 LNB SWM LNB.
I don't know the model numbers.
I did, and they had one, and I bought it. It has only one line out. No more 775 error. Instead a 771 error. That I can handle. Gots to take a break or I'm SOL with #1. Thanks everyone:bow.

Reactions: raoul5788
I did, and they had one, and I bought it. It has only one line out. No more 775 error. Instead a 771 error. That I can handle. Gots to take a break or I'm SOL with #1. Thanks everyone:bow.
Ok, if it only has 1 output, its a SWM, thats good, its either a SWM 3 or 5.
Are you running the Repeat Sat Set Up ?
It should automatically pick up the SWM and switch from Multiswitch to SWM, but this is where you can check.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts