Non penetration roof mount on slant

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I added a vip 211 receiver for my barn and I don't want to put any more holes in my roof. Could I put a non penetrating mount on my roof without it falling? I'm putting a dish 1000.4 on it.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1440802921.123154.jpg

Yes! Just put some weight across it, such as a couple 80lb bags of sand, straddle the mount with and lay the bags slightly over the ridge to give it holding power (so it doesn't start sliding). You can't leave it the way it is in that pic with no weight holding it down.

Thanks! I'm sure the boss will let me have a rubber mat from work. I've seen some that straddle the peak of the roof that won't slide but why spend the extra money. Could I use cinder blocks on the top and sand on the bottom to help with the sliding? We get viscous winds.

Cinder blocks can work, but if one somehow started rolling due to high winds (and on a peaked, instead of flat roof), it might end up being tragic for anybody underneath if it makes it over the edge.

It wouldn't be easy for that to happen with sand bags.

Cinder blocks can work, but if one somehow started rolling due to high winds (and on a peaked, instead of flat roof), it might end up being tragic for anybody underneath if it makes it over the edge.

It wouldn't be easy for that to happen with sand bags.
Sand bags at the top will also conform to the ridge to give a little more holding power.

Reactions: papachops
Does the mount have to be on the roof? If you can 'see' the satellites, a pole in the ground or even mounting to the side of the barn means no damage to the roof.

I added a vip 211 receiver for my barn and I don't want to put any more holes in my roof. Could I put a non penetrating mount on my roof without it falling? I'm putting a dish 1000.4 on it.View attachment 109462
depends on the pitch....What you can do is add asphalt tape to the underside of the sled mount. This will help the mount stick to the asphalt shingles.
What's the roof pitch? E g ( 6/12, 7/12, etc)......6/12 is 22.5 degrees. 12/12 is 45*
http://roofgenius.com/roof-pitch-degrees.asp......
here's a good guideline..If you can safely walk along the face of the roof laterally and from the peak to the gutter line without any undo effort, it is unlikely the sled mount will slide...

Do you have a masonry chimney on the roof nearby it that's solid? Maybe you could install a chimney antenna mount onto the chimney and then run a chain from that to it for extra peace of mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)