Obama wants to delay the transition to DTV

On the digital interference with analog, just an added point: when I'm in analog mode and stop at a digital channel, the screen flickers as it tries to interpret the signal, presumably the analog content transmitted at that frequency. I can tell it's a digital because the screen flickers in a particular way, and I see letterbox bands. :D

I don't agree about the LOS, either. Most of the Portland DMA is not LOS. I'm 1 edge, 15 miles away and with indoor antennas get all full power digital stations plus an LP whose analog I can't receive. Digital cable PQ was not good for the locals, they had ghosts (way fewer than with analog, but really, ghosts on digital cable) and cable carried only 1/3 the local content. My neighbor has satellite, they lose service ~2 days/year. Last month when they 2 lost days from freezing rain coating the dish, all I lost OTA was the digital station that took a power hit. Cable loses total service ~1 day a year. To lose all OTA, I suppose I'd have to have a roof antenna, and even then, a paperclip would save the day.

1 millon watts???? satellites are only 240 watts!

Our analog UHF is close to 4 million watts. (That is ERP.. the actual xmtr power is 120kw. The one million is ERP, also, which is about 25k - 50kw, depending on antenna gain.

Our digital VHF is at the FCC's highest power, 30kw erp with just under 4kw delivered to the antenna. Big savings in the power bill for us come shutdown.

BTW: The delay, if there is one, is not mandatory. There is so much interaction that the FCC's mandated Digital Nightlight (which says analogs stay on with a message and emergency messags for 30 days after shutdown) does not apply to all stations due to interference to digitals. We have 2 stations at our site, one is NBC and the other CBS. THe NBC can't stay on for the nightlight due to interference to WNBC's digital, but the CBS is on the list to stay on.
This mandate is only if you have equipment to do this. We do not.

It's even more laughable that the delay is not mandatory. Basically all that does is stick the hard decision to the local TV stations. They're stuck with paying the bill to power a DTV signal and a legacy analog signal. And they're also stuck with having their phone lines flooded with angry calls from crotchety old coots and other hold outs who didn't want to bother preparing for the DTV switch ever at all.

Pretty slick job of the government passing the buck and hard choices to the little guys. The local TV stations have spent the last few years building up to this change. And now here only 3 weeks out from the deadline the government chooses to screw up everything. Great job!
:rolleyes:

From : http://commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=84452e41-ca68-4aef-b15f-bbca7bab2973&Month=1&Year=2009

Key provisions of the legislation approved by the Senate include the following:

· In order to better educate consumers about the transition, and to provide consumers with ample opportunity to utilize the converter-box coupon program, the digital transition will shift from February 17, 2009 to June 12, 2009.

· Over-the-air broadcast television stations may voluntarily switch from analog to digital service before June 12, 2009. Stations that are fully prepared for the switch can make the transition early through a Federal Communications Commission process. In addition to the several markets that already have made the transition, many additional markets are expected to be prepared to make the transition prior to June 12, 2009 – this bill will permit these stations to transition early and bring consumers the advantages of digital service as quickly as possible.

· In the event a broadcast station switches early to digital service, public safety services may start using the vacated spectrum.

· Consumers with expired coupons may apply for new replacement coupons. This provides relief to consumers who, because of natural disasters, retail or mail issues, were unable to redeem their coupons.

..... the FCC's mandated Digital Nightlight (which says analogs stay on with a message and emergency messags for 30 days after shutdown) does not apply to all stations due to interference to digitals.....

So on 2/18/09, when we all do channel rescans, we'll still be picking up some analog stations transmitting the "nightlight." Lovely.

....flooded with angry calls from crotchety old coots....

We have a few of those here. And some young ones, too.

So much for rescanning everything on Feb 17th. Now we'll have to pay attention to every station the is changing it's digital frequency for the date the it will change.

I'm sure they will try again to delay it, but they'll have to re-work the bill wording etc. Hopefully it will take too long and be too much bother to actually try to delay again.

The US Senate blocked one legislation attempt at the beginning of this month. It took 3 weeks for Senate Democrats to reach a compromise with Senate Republicans.

Right now we have 20 days left until those analog signals go dark.

They need to go ahead and make the switch. People have had long enough time to get ready. Some people will never be ready, so leave them behind and forget about them. That will be the only way to get them to make the switch, FORCE them to change!!!!!

Government screwing up DTV conversion

So one of our local stations have been saying they would be doing the analog shut off on Feb 17 as planned. Well late today the FCC comes back and says they can't shut off the analog until mid March. Great 4 days before the shut off.

If nothing else this delay the government decided to do will cause more confussion for the people. The thing I find really funny is a quote from the paper "The FCC told KLKN it must continue airing its analog signal through mid-March, saying it couldn’t allow every station in a market to go digital because viewers need access to information in cases of an emergency." I guess the radios don't broadcast any type emergency information just TV's.

In case anyone want to read the article click here.

This delay to help has done nothing but add more questions and confussion.

Shawn

Obama saved my TV! This is a no brainer and excellent political move for Obama. The slugs that are to lazy to plan ahead and get their coupons will remember he gave them more time. The millions that have already moved over are enjoying free digital TV right now. Nobody is hurt but perhaps the TV stations and people that rushed to comply are a bit annoyed.

Does anyone really believe that the same people who are not ready now will somehow get off their butts and be ready in june? :rolleyes:

Does anyone really believe that the same people who are not ready now will somehow get off their butts and be ready in june? :rolleyes:
i personally belive the people who are not ready are either living in a carboard house or watch the tv and say HE HE duh purty colors!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)