On CNN ch. 202 now showing local Albuquerque car ads!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
How they get the bandwith for local ads on CONUS beam maybe on Ka band with HD?

We got over 250 + or- DMA TV Markets so do they it by Ka band or Internet download?:coffee

Looks like everything going Star Trek modes now days!

Directv has been inserting local ads into national feeds for a while. As gdstout alluded to, you need a dvr for it to happen.

Directv has the ability to record commercials to their portion of the drive on HD-DVRs/Genies (not sure about SD-DVRs).

They then can insert these ads on channels that their agreement allows them to insert commercials sold by Directv. This is very common on cable but done at the head-end.

That said, DirecTV could do way more with this if they get aggressive in selling commercials, but to date it doesn't seem to be big yet.

I'm not sure if the commercials are delivered to the DVR by internet or satellite.

I see local Boston ads a lot of the national channels since I "moved" there.

I noticed the same thing when I was "moved" I seemed to get more Mankato commercials than Minneapolis (even though Mankato was considered SV for where I was)

I noticed the same thing when I was "moved" I seemed to get more Mankato commercials than Minneapolis (even though Mankato was considered SV for where I was)

It caught me off guard the first time, even though I had seen it on this forum. The commercials are 1080i, even on ESPN, causing the screen to flash.

the albuquerque ads have been around for a few months now - started with campaign ads and now progressed to car and new windows for the house, etc. ads. Good news is that they can still be skipped over just like normal ads.

The albuquerque advertisers should get their ad money back - the audio sounds POTS-telephone quality for some reason, so when you are watching something live or are too lazy to hit the skip 30 button, the ads really stand out as cruddy-sounding compared to the high quality audio from the tv program or national tv ads.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)