One Receiver Controlling Two Dish Movers: Help Request

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nothing wrong with using the connection that you outlined in your original post. As long as you use a high quality 22khz switch, it should handle the HH motor current and reliably pass the DiSEqC commands.

There are several other ways to connect the two dishes, but all would face the same motor control challenges as we have discussed.

Info on the SW-21: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/89670-Is-a-Dish-SW21-just-a-Diseqc-switch

I don't see how it would work for this application.

Your system probably would not benefit from using a SW21 switch.

SW21 switches are simply a robust DiSEqC switch which uses control commands that are unique to Dish Network. Some FTA receivers support this type of switch, but they were typically implemented for supporting the eye patch crowd. Not saying that it was a theft of service feature, but that was the history.

Dish Network installations typically no longer use this type of switch and usually use DP switches, which is another unique switch protocol to support DP LNBFs. Some hobbyist prefer the SW switches as they are robust, are/were readily available and often free.

my dg380 only responds to diseqc 1.2.

Curious why you suggest that the DG380 isn't controlled by USALS? Maybe a defective motor? That model supports "Go To X", so it does accept USALS commands.

There is no signal difference between DiSEqC1.2 and USALS. Both pass through an Ecoda switch. The signals are both identical modulated 22khz tone, just a different command sequence.

Charlie,

I question this, too. I have several DG-280 and DG-380 HH motors and they all work well with USALS. I use Coolsat 5K / AZBox / Pansat recievers here, some others at times, too. All of them control this DG motor via USALS. We're going to have to look into this sometime down the road when you have time to discuss it. I am quite curious why it is not operational for you.

RADAR

some DN switches are better than others

I never recommended nor encouraged the use of DN's SW21 switches, because a lot of receivers didn't support their protocol. .
Often in the release notes of eye patch firmware, would be a big list of (existing DN) switches supported. :)
Those had regular updates.
However, there were never any fixes to things useful to us.
So changing from a hacker-friendly receiver to a real FTA box could render your switch matrix inoperable.

But something Brian mentioned above reminded me of a really useful DN switch.
The DP-34 is a big robust diseq switch, often left behind or discarded at DN sites.
Most people wouldn't consider it as they would see it as overkill, and you'd barely use a fraction of its capability.

It's a diseqc switch with 3 inputs, 4 outputs, serious power-handling capability, wide bandwidth for bandstacked use, robust & burnout resistant, and free if you look for them. ;)
Used as a 2-in, 1-out switch seems wasteful, but it should work.

If your receiver won't power everything, feed the DP-34 on output 1 through a power inserter.

Every time I think of a new use for one of these beasts, it gives me chills. ;)

when i went to usals it gave me an error message. hmmmm. i am doing a complete new setup with the 1.2. i did scan 97w so i can scan 12115 for the latest update to install. then i will do usals. thanks, charlie

when i went to usals it gave me an error message. hmmmm. i am doing a complete new setup with the 1.2. i did scan 97w so i can scan 12115 for the latest update to install. then i will do usals. thanks, charlie

Make sure your receiver has your correct location so USALS can compute the right locations.

Did you enter your Latitude and Longitude? Making sure it is N and W.

yup. took about 12 minutes to program all k band satellites. then did a preprogramed scan and got all the k's scanned. that was using usals. for two months i was trying to get diseqc 1.2 on every one. the nice thing there was i could do the same position number on k and c band satellites. now i am putting in the c band satellites with diseqc 1.2. then i will save it as an up to date udf file. charlie

Two solutions:

1. Use USALS for KU-band and DiSEq1.2 for C-band
  2. Use USALS and/or DiSEqC1.2 for KU-band and DiSEq1.2 for C-band. Assign different motor positions for the C-Band and the KU-band satellites. Example: If programming DiSEqC1.2 for both C and KU satellites, program 97w-KU with motor position 1 and 97w-C position 51, etc...

Hint: Make sure the DiSEqC positions are first erased from both the HH and the V-box before programming. Both devices currently have duplicate have saved motor positions.

I'm currently using solution1 and it is working fine.

I use a DiSEqC 1.1 Uncommitted switch in place of the switch you are using. Only one dish moves at a time. Hint: the uncommitted switch defaults to port one when off. I don't use port one. This way the DiSEqC commands are not recieved by a device on port one unintentionally. The switch I use will pass enough power for KU motor operation.

The Chieta 4X1 DiseqC switch does that beautifully for my setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)