OPPO UDP-203 4K Blu-ray Player

I ordered mine today but haven't gotten a ship date yet. I believe the initial batch has been sold out. Folks with order number starting with 289xxx have been getting theirs. Mine starts with 292xxx and is awaiting fulfillment.

Bad news is that Cinavia is live, so don't expect all of those MKV rips to work streamed over Ethernet. Glad I didn't sell my 103D.

Reactions: Ilya
I got a personalized invite, but by the time I checked the link it was too late...

My understanding is that if you got an order number, you get one from the first batch of players. Orders shipped is all over the map because Oppo doled them out to all their folks in shipping. I think the folks that paid for standard shipping will be the last to ship. Seems folks that paid for express shipping are getting their players regardless of order number. Not in any big hurry since I won't have time to enjoy it until after the holidays.

Yeah, I expedited my shipping because I did not want to go after this weekend, with Bourne and Suicide Squad sitting here. Will be delivered tomorrow. Standard shipping from Cali to here is horrible.

• Only problem so far is Batman V Superman in UHD not being recognized, disc wont play. All other UHD movies I have tried (5) work fine and the discs load very quickly. Problem reported to Oppo.
  • Love the remote back light and how it works
  • As usual, a simple yet very good looking front faceplate. Classy!
  • Came with 1209 FW disc which I installed first
  • Connected to my 5ghz wifi easily
  • Menu's look GREAT
  • The extended info screen while playing a movie is outstanding
  • No red smear found on Star Wars Part 7 Blu-ray, was well documented with Samsung and something I had a problem with
  • A few recent flicks I watched in UHD/HDR that I noticed issues on my display with (mostly how gamma looked and dark scenes) were not that way with HDR stripped mode (Star Trek Beyond, Warcraft and Ind Day Resurgence).
  • TMNT 2, one UHD movie I watched with the Fury and 900, that sold me on that combo, looks just as outstanding on the Oppo with HDR stripped
  • All of the above was dark room viewing on my LG OLED.
  • IMO, running my Tivo Bolt set to 720p/1080i thru the Oppo and it scaling to 4k/60, is obviously more sharp than the Tivo doing 4k/60, and I think it may even be better than the LG doing it

Reactions: navychop and Ilya
gadgtfreek-

I have a question about "HDR stripped mode" I see you are using an LG OLED TV. Do you not have a way to remove HDR for 4K BT2020 UHD inbound content with your TV?

I have a projector, Sony VPL VW665ES and in the menus, I can shut off HDR when it is present on UHD content and that content is very dark or problematic and just view with the 10 bit BT2020 color. In fact I have set a single button preset that if the content looks bad, I just switch to a different UHD calibration that has all UHD except HDR shut off.

Its good, if your TV doesn't have such capability, that you now do with the OPPO. I believe the present state of the art, that capability is definitely needed.

Some interesting details from OPPO's FAQ:

Does the UDP-203 support Dolby Vision?

At release, the UDP-203 will have support for HDR10. The UDP-203's hardware was designed with Dolby Vision support in mind, however, and customers can expect a firmware upgrade in early 2017 that brings Dolby Vision support to the player.

Does the UDP-203 have any built-in streaming services such as Netflix or VUDU?

In order to provide a premium user experience with quick start-up times and fast response, the UDP-203 is designed with a purist approach in mind for disc and file playback, and so it does not carry internet video and music streaming apps. Instead, an HDMI 2.0 input port that supports UHD resolution is available for users to connect an external streaming device. This approach affords users the flexibility to choose from a wide range of streaming devices and easily upgrade as streaming technologies evolve, while still taking advantage of the UDP-203's audio and video processing capabilities.

Is the UDP-203's main HDMI output 2.0, 2.0a or 2.0b?

In our documentation, we are not distinguishing the a/b revisions of the HDMI 2.0. We simply use the HDMI 2.0 term to show that the player can output video at the 18Gbps data rate. If we must use a revision number, currently the main HDMI output on the UDP-203 is HDMI 2.0a since the difference between the 2.0a revision and initial 2.0 is the support for HDR, and the player support HDR. When we upgrade the player to support Dolby Vision in the future, the output will become HDMI 2.0b compliant since supporting HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR meta data is the difference between 2.0b and 2.0a. The HDMI input and output are HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Can the UDP-203's HDMI input support 4K?

Yes, the UDP-203's HDMI input is capable of receiving a 4K signal. However, at this stage it is not currently able to accept HDR. There is a possibility that a firmware upgrade may provide this functionality in the future, but there is no tentative date for such an upgrade. If you have a newer streaming device such as a Roku Ultra or Chromecast Ultra that supports 4K with HDR, and you want to view HDR content, it is recommended that you connect these devices to an HDMI input on your display or AV receiver that supports HDR.

Can the UDP-203 strip HDR metadata from 4K discs and media files while maintaining the BT.2020 color space?

Yes. For customers using projectors or older 4K displays that do not support HDR, yet still want to take advantage of the BT.2020 color space, the UDP-203 is capable of stripping the HDR metadata from the signal while still maintaining the BT.2020 color space output.

Will there be a UDP-205?

Yes, the UDP-205 will be released in early 2017, around 2-3 months after the UDP-203. Details for this particular model will be available at a later date.

Source: http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?ProdID=UDP-203

gadgtfreek-

I have a question about "HDR stripped mode" I see you are using an LG OLED TV. Do you not have a way to remove HDR for 4K BT2020 UHD inbound content with your TV?

Yeah, with the OLED I just have to take it, and when the '15 models go into HDR mode, you lose cal control and your Rec 709 cal does not apply (reminds me of early days of 3D modes on displays). I had the Panny 900 for a bit with the HD Fury, that essentially does the same thing the Oppo has built in. I found I consistently enjoyed the PQ vs using HDR. So 4k/24 SDR BT 2020 for me!

Response from Oppo today after offering up my Batman V Superman UHD disc (this is another reason you buy an Oppo).

We will then test the disc and see if we have the same observations. If we do not, then we will look into replacing your player. If we do, then we will look into replacing your disc and keeping your disc for compatibility testing.

Reactions: navychop
Tried out some scenes in Ghostbusters. There is a definite red push when selecting strip HDR for my 940C. I had to turn it back on.

S~

I def see what may be a tinge. I dont use WCG because it blows everything out. Chad and I tested my set earlier on and its DCIP3 coverage was not really better in WCG which is funny, it just made colors less accurate. So I can live with it vs using HDR, but hopefully they will fix it soon.

I saw way more than a tinge. Totally blown out. I'll mess with it more this weekend when I have more time. For now, it is not working as intended.

S~

I wonder if how me not using WCG is affecting me differently, or maybe what it is doing reacts different with certain display devices.

Should not be very hard for them to reproduce, and not sure why it slipped thru testing because they have FP guys as beta testers.

I noticed that strip metadata was part of the firmware upgrade. Not there on the original firmware. Just Auto, on, off.

S~

If you note in these, my SDR 2020 with standard color gamut is more red than it should be, but the SDR 2020 with Wide is HORRIBLE. SDR 709 from a UHD disc looks good, and you at least keep the cloud detail vs the 1080p shot. 2160p vs 1080p resolution advantages are obvious in certain shots.

Ill prob try my first movie at SDR 2020 with the OLED in standard color gamut, and if it annoys me Ill just set it to HDR off and SDR 709 until they fix it. At least I can enjoy the added resolution.

Attachments

• 1080p Blu.JPG
    1080p Blu.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 209
  • SDR 709.JPG
    SDR 709.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 220
  • SDR 2020 Normal.JPG
    SDR 2020 Normal.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 218
  • SDR 2020 Wide.JPG
    SDR 2020 Wide.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 211

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)