OPPO UDP-203 4K Blu-ray Player

I'll mess around with both TV and player settings this weekend and post some pictures both here and AVS. I'll also send them to Oppo support for feedback. Simply using the strip metadata was unwatchable.

S~

Reactions: gadgtfreek
Dave Vaughn with Sound and Vision posted some good pics and his red issue was mitigated by a different gamma setting on his FP, same way mine acts standard vs wide color gamut. I may be able to get away with a little off, hell in HDR mode mine was WAY off and I still watched it LOL. He also posted this in the FP thread:

The colors are over-saturated a bit. Check the post a few above this for pictures of what I'm seeing.

I'm in contact with Oppo and sent the pictures to them and I'm confident this is something they can fix. We have to remember that the "Strip Metadata" feature is really a Beta product that they decided to include on the player. Frankly, the HDR picture is superb to me and I can use HDR on my smallish 88" screen without major issues, but those with larger displays and AT screens really want the strip metadata feature (or HD Fury).

I am going to watch the new Bourne tonight with the Oppo set:

HDR strip
Normal gamut on my OLED
444 color space (I figure let the Oppo do the sampling from 420 vs the display doing it from 422)
10 bit (I still dont get why you would send 12 bit from a 10 bit source to a 10 bit display device, so I am going 10 bit and not using the Auto feature)

Those are my settings. gamut doesn't change when the 940C kicks into HDR. Hopefully it will be something they can fix. I tested Ghostbusters on purpose because HDR is pretty horrible with that movie. Verified by a founding member of ISF. All I can say about that.

There was a few oompa loompa orange scenes in Bourne, gonna watch 1080p blu until this gets sorted out. I dont think I have ever been this frustrated with a format...

Got my Roamio OTA hooked up to the HDMI In this morning and the scaling from 720/1080i looks great. Had a slight sync issue but +30 seems to have dialed it in. I hate fine tuning lip sync, it sends my OCD into over drive.

I've settled on turning HDR off since strip metadata results in red push and the constant color change in the letter box bars is annoying on my Sony X850C with HDR on. Everything else seems to be OK except for unreliable 4K disc playback. I suspect that the Oppo is having read issues when it has to read from the 3rd layer of a disc. I'm only seeing A/V sync issues, stuttering, and audio dropouts towards the end of any movie I watch. Extended Info confirms that the bitrate drops to below 10mb/s.

Cinavia infection extends to external/network streaming and makes streaming from a NAS useless. I'll be keeping my 103D to stream from my NAS and the 203 will just be for 4K movies.

I know Oppo has moved the HDR Strip feature to the front of the line, so Id expect at least a public beta with improvements coming sooner than later.

They got in my B v S UHD disc and it played right off the bat, so they mailed me their copy last week. Be curious to see if it plays in mine when the other one would not.

203 will be Oppo's last player I guess.

Farewell
It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

This is truly sad news. I guess they couldn’t make money at it.

I’m tempted to go buy one, but I have no UHD TV and have no near term plans to buy one. I already have more BD players than I can use.

Too bad. Despite what there release says, I would worry about ongoing support. DVD players used to get frequent updates for specific disks. Does that even happen anymore for Blu-rays? I have several less expensive players but they are all set to update automatically.

Wow! I was hoping it was an April fools joke... :(

This is truly sad news. I guess they couldn’t make money at it.

I’m tempted to go buy one, but I have no UHD TV and have no near term plans to buy one. I already have more BD players than I can use.

With HDMI 2.1 on the way I don't think I would invest in an Oppo at this point.

OPPO exiting the market can only mean one thing: the end of the physical digital media is coming! And sooner than we expected!

Nah. Their phone market is much larger, and they dealt with a lot of 4K unit returns. All the fanboys fought it, but there were drive issues. They made this call last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)