Ortho C-Band with Norsat 8115,s vs. C2PLL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
I am rewiring my FTA setup and want a honest opinion. Right now I have a ortho feed with a pair of Norsat 8115 DRO's and a power inserter between them and the Zinwell 4x8 switch. Would I be better off keeping that setup or switching to a Titanium C2PLL and eliminate the loss of the power inserter. I have always been old school and went with LNB's over LNBF's, but most LNBF's were poor quality before. Now that Brian has this out maybe I should try it. By the way my 1.2 already has a Geosat dual PLL for Ku and it works well.

Hard to beat quality legacy feedhorns and LNBs. I would stay with the ortho and 8115s, unless you are having problems with a LNB or not locking onto high FEC/narrow carriers. The price of single LNB will pay for the entire C2WPLL.

Reactions: scarecrovv
Hi Comptech. I agree a good ortho feed & LNB's is very hard to beat combination. I would stick with it. Can you modify the Zinwell to provide 18V all the time? That would eliminate the need for the power inserter & any losses associated with it. It will only save a couple cables but every bit counts.

I found some WNC SWA-48 switches & modified them as per pendragons wonderful idea http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/naughty-mods-ii-4x8-switch-with-all-18v-outputs.174802/ They are much harder to find now though in Canada. Not sure if they are harder to find in the US though. I have one running 4 Norsat PLL's (I did upgrade the power supply to a 3A though) & haven't had any issues for 3 years now.

I have two dual-orthos up. One with DROs and one with PLLs. I use Pendragon's switch mods also. However.. The WNC SWA-48 is only rated for 750ma and my PLLs draw 1030ma. Even with a larger power supply you are over-powering the switch. And the heat builds up. After a year I fried the switch. But Pendragon also modded a 6x8 Zinwell and that mod was perfect for the PLLs.
dang! I was going to link to the thread, but none of my saved satguy threads work anymore :(

Found it http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/naughty-mods-iii-6x8-switch-with-power-insertion.190889/

I run a setup similar to yours. Chaparral ortho, 3120 Norsats, WNC 4x8 modified to output 18V to both LNBs. I don't use power inserters. Works very well.

I actually tried C2PLL just to see if I can simplify my setup. I expected to see a small signal degradation, but was surprised. Signal dropped significantly.
Used sathero 300HD for taking measurements.

I immediately went back to ortho.

Get WNC switch, buy two 460 ohm 1/4W resistors and remove power inserters.

Nothing beats a quality feedhorn/scalar matched to a reflector and high performance LNBs. Add Phase Lock Loop LNBs to a servo controlled feed and complete the performance package.

LNBFs will always be a compromise for simplicity over performance, no matter the brand or model. I may develop and distribute quality LNBFs, but I would never suggest they provide increased performance over great build LNBs and feed hardware. :)

Reactions: Pixl and KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)