otard?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
Does extension panels violate otard rules since they are not a dish but can make your dish over the 1 meter rules? Whats your thoughts on extension panels or petals?

Technically yes, if they put you over 1-meter than you would be exceeding the allowance by OTARD.

OTARD you are protected UP TO a 1 meter dish unless you live in Alaska
If the dish is larger than that then you are no longer protected.

I agree with Michael & Iceberg, 1 meter is 1 meter no matter how you get there. I'm also thinking of FCC rules for various other antenna like for ham radio or 15b transmitters. They aren't going to care what you rig up to get to (or past) whatever the regulation is. All they care about is that end number. With OTARD its flat out 1 meter.

I'm also thinking of FCC rules for various other antenna like for ham radio or 15b transmitters.
I know with TV antennas its 12 feet above the roofline. When I had my house I was 11 feet 6 inches above the roofline with the antenna farm :)

Ham Radio I think is completely exempt from OTARD (as in your SOL)

When I mentioned Ham stuff I meant as a comparison/generalization for how the FCC looks at things rather than a direct OTARD example.

Off topic @Iceberg : Don't know where your mobile carrier thread is but Jen & I are/were kinda in your neighborhood. My fancy EU Dookie Phone has been gathering tower data the whole time. Will have to go through it all to sort it but I'll say I'm glad I'm not stuck on Tmobile out here. ;)

When I mentioned Ham stuff I meant as a comparison/generalization for how the FCC looks at things rather than a direct OTARD example.
no I understand. I just remember when I was in my townhouse one of the neighbors saw my 6 foot dish outside and we started talking (both of us were on the HOA board at the time) and he knew about OTARD. He asked if he needed permission to put up a ham antenna (it was to be pro installed) and we looked through OTARD to see if there was a "safe provision" and there wasn't. He did get approval though (which is funny as when the one lady was on the board I had issues with her and my dish farm)

Off topic Iceberg : Don't know where your mobile carrier thread is but Jen & I are/were kinda in your neighborhood. My fancy EU Dookie Phone has been gathering tower data the whole time. Will have to go through it all to sort it but I'll say I'm glad I'm not stuck on Tmobile out here. ;)
I ended up with Cricket which uses the AT&T towers. Works fine in Duluth and fine in Minneapolis suburbs (in most spots)

I ended up with Cricket which uses the AT&T towers. Works fine in Duluth and fine in Minneapolis suburbs (in most spots)

My initial thought is AT&T rocks up here. Been solid 3G and 3G+ the whole way. Last time I was on AT&T was 20 years ago when I traveled the country a lot and they were pretty much rock solid everywhere. I actually dumped virgin/sprint and went "FTA" with my phone. It is spoofed as a nexus7 tablet so i run an at&t straighttalk data SIM for primary and tmobile "free data for life" secondary. Most of the time I'm on wifi so it amounts to unlimited calling. :)

In Duluth before AT&T bought them out it was Cell One up here which kicked major ass. They had COVERAGE here. Had them when I lived in Duluth back in 2000-2002

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts