Pac-12 Network

Having the PAC-12 channel would be a fantastic addition! I assume I would get a lot of blackouts though being on the west coast...

Why, I'm on the West Coast and get all the Big 10 games with no blackouts..... It should be the same, you'd get all the Pac12 games....

Having the PAC-12 channel would be a fantastic addition! I assume I would get a lot of blackouts though being on the west coast...

Very few blackouts anymore with college games. The Big 12 has (had?) an archaic blackout model for their third tier basketball games. The ACC and SEC will also occasionally black out some games out of region. But picking up the DISH or DirecTV sports packs will usually get you most of the college games being televised on RSNs. I would assume the Pac 12 Network(s) would operate in the same manner.

bschulte said:
Very few blackouts anymore with college games. The Big 12 has (had?) an archaic blackout model for their third tier basketball games. The ACC and SEC will also occasionally black out some games out of region. But picking up the DISH or DirecTV sports packs will usually get you most of the college games being televised on RSNs. I would assume the Pac 12 Network(s) would operate in the same manner.

Great! Now I want it even more!!

The Pac-12 Network will not black out any games. The driving force behind having the national network (and the regional networks) is to INCREASE exposure for virtually all sports - not to prevent them from being seen.

The Pac-12 Network will not black out any games. The driving force behind having the national network (and the regional networks) is to INCREASE exposure for virtually all sports - not to prevent them from being seen.
If a local channel or RSN is televising the game in your area, you can be sure it will be blacked out on Pac12 Networks. It's the nature of the beast.

If a local channel or RSN is televising the game in your area, you can be sure it will be blacked out on Pac12 Networks. It's the nature of the beast.

That's just it, a local network or RSN will never be televising a game that is on the Pac12 Network. It's the nature of the beast...

Well, if it's a similar beast to BTN, I've seen some BTN games blacked out where it happens to be locally aired.

Pac12 Network is a little different than BTN - primarily that it is 100% owned by the conference. There is no ESPN/FOX/RSN joint ownership. They set their own rules. They also partner with ESPN and FOX for the rights to every game. Before the football season, ESPN/Disney, FOX, and Pac-12 networks held a "draft" to pick up broadcast rights for each and every game (they will do the same thing for each and every Men's basketball game, too). Each game "belongs" to the broadcaster that drafted it. There will be no other broadcasters (i.e. local networks, RSNs, etc.) with rights to a game - these are the only places you can watch Pac-12 sports. The days when individual schools in the conference had their own local broadcast deals are over, and so are the blackout situations.

Pac12 Network is a little different than BTN - primarily that it is 100% owned by the conference. There is no ESPN/FOX/RSN joint ownership. They set their own rules. They also partner with ESPN and FOX for the rights to every game. Before the football season, ESPN/Disney, FOX, and Pac-12 networks held a "draft" to pick up broadcast rights for each and every game (they will do the same thing for each and every Men's basketball game, too). Each game "belongs" to the broadcaster that drafted it. There will be no other broadcasters (i.e. local networks, RSNs, etc.) with rights to a game - these are the only places you can watch Pac-12 sports. The days when individual schools in the conference had their own local broadcast deals are over, and so are the blackout situations.

That may well be the case but,sooner rather than later each conference will have its own network with exclusive games and the only way to watch will be to purchase said channel.That could get very expensive.

That may well be the case but,sooner rather than later each conference will have its own network with exclusive games and the only way to watch will be to purchase said channel.That could get very expensive.

Completely agree. That will probably happen; each conference having it's own network. Maybe other sports, too. Looks like the LA Lakers are doing just that. Personally, I'd love the chance to see what I want to see no matter where I live, Yes, it will probably cost more, but that's how the business is changing. What the cable/sat people need to realize is that live sports will be what saves them in the end. Most television programming is available from more sources than ever before. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and YouTube to name a few. As the internet gets faster, cloud storage gets cheaper, and compression technologies improve, people will have more ala cart choices for how they receive their programming. I downloaded the whole Breaking Bad season 5 from iTunes and barely missed AMC.

Live sports is their ace in the hole for keeping customers. Offer it and I will pay for it. If they don't offer it, the sports channels will find new digital ways to distribute their content and cable/sat will lose their last big draw.

The OK State/Arizona game won't be on tv anywhere in Oklahoma this week. I can see this starting to affect scheduling if the opposing teams fans can't watch the games. The PAC 12 is gonna have to pony up a lot more money for opposing teams or no one is gonna agree to continue playing them out of conference.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The OK State/Arizona game won't be on tv anywhere in Oklahoma this week. I can see this starting to affect scheduling if the opposing teams fans can't watch the games. The PAC 12 is gonna have to pony up a lot more money for opposing teams or no one is gonna agree to continue playing them out of conference.

Thus the nature of carriage negotiations. The Pac-12 fully plans on being a nationally available network.

If they really want to be a nationally carried network, they should drop this 7 channels crap and work deals for carriage of the main channel only for the 90% of us outside the PAC 12 viewing area that have no interest in watching the Stanford polo team or the Oregon timber team.

Until then they are nothing more than another group trying to force 7 over priced niche channels upon every body in America.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

And subscribers to said channels will be enormously below expectations and their little "networks" will go belly-up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)