Personal Computer Game News

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01...-free-weekend?abthid=5874ede1ebfc53931e000004

Blizzard is having a free weekend for Heroes of the Storm. Yes, a free to play game is having a free weekend. What this actually means is that all heroes in the game are going to be unlocked for everyone.

Normally there are about 10 characters on a free rotation that changes every week. If you want characters unlocked for use permanently you have to buy them with real money or in game currency. I'll probably end up playing a bit this weekend just to try out a few of the characters I haven't used before.

http://steamed.kotaku.com/none-of-2016s-most-played-steam-games-came-out-in-2016-1791048654

None of the top 5 most played games on Steam in 2016 came out in 2016. This is the top 5 games in terms of average players per hour.

1. Dota 2 / 636,607 avg. players per hour (#1 in 2015)
  2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 360,600 avg. players per hour (#2 in 2015)
  3. Team Fortress 2 / 50,802 avg. players per hour (#4 in 2015)
  4. Grand Theft Auto V / 40,258 avg. players per hour (#5 in 2015)
  5. Sid Meier’s Civilization V / 37,885 avg players per hour (#9 in 2015)
When you look at the top 5 in terms of peak player count you do see some 2016 games make the list.

1. Dota 2 / 1,286,617 peak players (#1 in 2015)
  2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 845,806 peak players (#2 in 2015)
  3. No Man’s Sky / 212,321 peak players (new)
  4. XCOM 2 / 132,834 peak players (new)
  5. Dark Souls III / 129,922 peak players (new)

Right, but that's Civilization V on the list. I can see how it would look like a VI but that is actually just a slash they put before the average number of players.
Ah, ok. I thought that was VI. :)

Lucio is headed to Heroes of the Storm

Cool. I've been thinking about getting back into HotS anyways, and this gives me a reason to do that.

I gotta say the Overwatch characters in this game look pretty ridiculous in fights with WoW and Diablo characters and on maps based on those games. For some reason this didn't stand out to me when I played as Starcraft heroes but it did immediately when I used Tracer for the first time.

Seeing Lucio roller blade around that map and then yell "Lets break it down!" when he used his ultimate made me laugh.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,33775.html

Nvidia announced the GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB of VRAM which will be available next week for $700. That may seem like a lot of money but it's actually a pretty good deal considering that the Founders Edition of the standard 1080 was $700 at launch. The Founders Edition 1080 has been dropped to $600 with this announcement to match the price point of third party cards from companies like EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI.

Last generation the 980 Ti was the same GPU as a Titan X with some parts disabled and half as much VRAM sold for a much lower price ($650 vs $1200). In practice the 980 Ti actually performed better than a Titan X because it was sold with factory overclocks from third party vendors while Nvidia doesn't allow anyone else to sell Titan cards.

Expect the 1080 Ti to also get better gaming performance than the new Titan X it is based off. Unlike the 980 Ti all of the shader modules and CUDA cores are left active on the 1080 Ti so those numbers are identical to the new Titan X. It also has higher memory bandwidth and even the Founders Edition of the 1080 Ti comes with a higher stock clock speed than the Titan X it is based off. Third party cards will push this even higher with factory overclocks. The Pascal Titan X does have 12GB of VRAM vs the 11GB on the 1080 Ti but this won't be much of a factor for gaming.

Anyone who recently bought a $1200 Pascal Titan X has to be kicking themselves seeing this 1080 Ti come out for $500 less that will have very similar, and probably slightly better performance. People who bought a 1080 probably have a similar feeling, especially if they bought the Founders Edition for the same price as this card. I'm still comfortable with my $400 1070 since I was never in the $700 GPU market anyways. This might be the first, semi-affordable true 4K gaming card though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)