Pete Rose

Gambling goes to the integrity of the game. I agree that the man hada n absolutely incredible career . Maybe putting him with a plaque that describes the circumstances. I don't know. It is a sad chapter in the history of the sport.

I've said this for years (I grew up a Reds fan, starting with the Big Red Machine era, including Pete) that they will reinstate him .... after he has died. :(

Look at my picture. I think he deserves to be in the HOF, but I do not think he deserves to be back in baseball due to his breaking the #1 rule in baseball.

Reactions: Rey
I've said this for years (I grew up a Reds fan, starting with the Big Red Machine era, including Pete) that they will reinstate him .... after he has died. :(

Thats probably whats going to happen. The man's 73 year old... let him have his day in sun one last thing.

The Montreal Canadiens legend "Boom Boom" Geofrion died the morning of his jersey retirement...

IMNSHO, he should only be allowed back in if "Shoeless Joe" Jackson is also allowed his rightful place, albeit posthumously.

Reactions: Albiondon
Gambling goes to the integrity of the game. I agree that the man hada n absolutely incredible career . Maybe putting him with a plaque that describes the circumstances. I don't know. It is a sad chapter in the history of the sport.
Steroids are OK with the Integrity of the game ?

IMNSHO, he should only be allowed back in if "Shoeless Joe" Jackson is also allowed his rightful place, albeit posthumously.
Putting someone in after thier gone is too easy for them ... Shoeless could go in and no one would know.

Putting people in after they are gone is cowardly and probably what will happen with Pete.

Pete Rose, with other legal troubles (the IRS made him an example for going to baseball card shows and being paid in cash, something which everybody was doing at the time) signed a deal which banned him "for life" with the right to reapply after one year. Eligibility to the HOF was never mentioned in the document. Then they changed the rules after the fact. But they banned Steinbrenner, a convicted felon before he ever got into baseball, for (his story) paying a bookie and drug dealer to "dig up dirt" on Dave Winfield to get out of paying him money he owed him or (the other crook's story) kill Winfield. But he was let back in after 2 years. Then you have all the dope heads and all the steroid cheats. And the guys from the past that were all sorts of things. Like Cobb for example.

Rose should be eligible for the HOF in the next ballot.

Reactions: Jimbo
As for Rose being eligible for the HOF on next ballot, thats gonna depend on if the new Commish likes Pete or not.

I knew as soon as Selig got in, Rose would not get anywhere.

As for Rose being eligible for the HOF on next ballot, thats gonna depend on if the new Commish likes Pete or not.

I knew as soon as Selig got in, Rose would not get anywhere.

Manfred is part of the "good old boy" network, just like Selig. It's probably not going to happen.

No. they are not. I do not recall ever saying that they were BTW. Not sure ehy you quoted me and then asked that question.
Sorry, I took it with the way you posted that Gambling was against the Integrity, that you were thinking that Steroids wern't.

Maybe just the way I read it.

I finally agree with Keith Olbermann and he makes some very valid points about what baseball does when money is dangled in front of them.

He does NOT deserve to be reinstated or allowed in the HOF, he cheated end of story. What he did was just as bad or even worse than people who used steroids. Steroids wasn't against the rules when they used them gambling was.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How exactly did he "cheat" ?

As a player, he still holds the record for hits, he played on three World Series winning teams, won the batting title three times, he batted .300 over the course of his entire career (if a batter has a .300 average in one season, that's considered excellent - Rose did it for 20+ years), and more. If your definition of "cheat" is somehow wrongly tied to betting, how would betting impact those records.

He does NOT deserve to be reinstated or allowed in the HOF, he cheated end of story. What he did was just as bad or even worse than people who used steroids. Steroids wasn't against the rules when they used them gambling was.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
This all said by a true Pirates fan. All hate for the Reds no matter what.

How exactly did he "cheat" ?

As a player, he still holds the record for hits, he played on three World Series winning teams, won the batting title three times, he batted .300 over the course of his entire career (if a batter has a .300 average in one season, that's considered excellent - Rose did it for 20+ years), and more. If your definition of "cheat" is somehow wrongly tied to betting, how would betting impact those records.
Exactly. I wouldn't feel like he deserved to be in if baseball would not keep dragging Pete back every time a company throws out millions of dollars in front of MLB to bring him back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts