Post up your gaming PC rigs!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm not going to put up video or pictures of mine because there isn't much to see. I purposely built it in a plain looking black tower case with no windows or lighting so it would look like a normal office PC in my home office. I did kind of break that illusion when I bought a Razer mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse with RGB lighting to replace the office style Logitech wireless M/K I was using before though.

Instead I will do a little break down of the parts I used in my build. I have an i5-4690k overclocked to 4.0GHz (up from 3.5GHz stock). I was able to get this clocked up to 4.5GHz with stable performance and safe temperatures but I haven't found this to be necessary for the games I play yet so I bumped it down to 4.0GHz to reduce temperatures and stress on the hardware. Now that I am playing on a 144Hz monitor maybe I will look into this again pretty soon.

My GPU is a Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070. I had this overclocked to 2.1GHz, but again I didn't find this to be necessary on my old 60Hz monitor so I put it back to stock. Now that I am gaming at 1440p 144Hz I am probably going to do some testing again pretty soon.

I'll quickly run through the boring parts.

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Storage - 240GB SSD and 500GB SSD
CPU cooler - Hyper 212 EVO
Power Supply - EVGA G2 850W (the high wattage came from my old SLI 970 setup)

I have dual 24" 1440p monitors. The one I play games on is a Dell 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor. I also have an Oculus Rift.

Last edited:
I have 2 PCs.

One is a gutted/modded old Alienware case from about 10 years ago. Used to be my gaming PC but is now basically a HTPC:

i5 2500k
16 GB Ram
240 GB SSD, 500GB & 2TB HDD
I THINK 700 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GTX 960 (which replaced a GTX 460 which replaced a GeForce 7800)
Panasonic 50" HDTV
Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

The other is a pre-built (Don't judge, I was in a weird emotional state and the price was REALLY good) that I use as my new gaming rig

i7 6700
16 GB RAM
240GB SSD, 1TB HDD
600W PSU
ASUS GTX 1070
Dell 27" 144 Hz G-Sync monitor
Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse

Last edited:
Here is the parts for my system:

LCD Monitor: ASUS 144Hz 24"
CPU: Intel i5-6600k
Graphics card: Asus Rog 1080 GTX CPU Case: Corsair Mastercase Maker 5
CPU Cooler: H100i V2
Motherboard model: Asus Maximus Hero VIII Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 PRO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200 MHz
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / OCZ 120GB / CRUCIAL 250GB
PSU: Corsair HXi 1000
Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent red cherry keyboard
Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite

This thread inspired me to do some overclocking tonight. I bumped my CPU up to 4.3GHz. The maximum stable overclock I have been able to get without bumping the voltage up too much is 4.5GHz. At 4.3GHz I am able to get a pretty good boost over the stock 3.5GHz while being able to stay pretty close to the stock voltage.

I also overclocked my GPU to 2025MHz. This is just about the highest stable overclock I was able to achieve without increasing the voltage. Other people have been able to get the Gigabyte G1 1070 up to around 2100MHz by increasing the voltage but I'm happy with the increase I got.

Considering that Nvidia's advertised boost clock speed for the 1070 is 1683MHz my 2025MHz overclock is a pretty significant bump over the stock speeds for this card. To be fair, my Gigabyte G1 was already boosting to about 1950MHz with just the factory overclock though. Because I didn't increase the voltage I haven't seen any increase in temperature from this overclock.

I did some testing with Overwatch and it's hard to tell for sure because the framerate varies so much based on what is on screen but I would guess that I'm seeing about a 10 FPS increase. This isn't noticeable (at least to me) when we are talking about the difference between 120FPS and 130FPS but since I have a 144Hz monitor it makes sense to take advantage of the free performance gain. It might make a more noticeable difference in more demanding games that hover between 55 and 80 FPS.

I'm running the 6600k i5 at 4.5Ghz, I could push it further since I have liquid cooling, but for my needs 4.5Ghz works just fine, plus the video card running at 2.1Ghz and no bottle necks...ill take it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)