Post what DirecTV retention offered you!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Peds48: Thanks for the msg. Can you tell me why that is? Also, I think that I have had the 2 older ones for quite a while so I may actually have bought those vs. leasing. Does anyone know how long the leasing program has been going on? I know that I used to just buy my boxes up until a time. I just don't remember if these are 2 that I actually own.

the hddvr has 2 tuners and a hardrive, works without the genie
the mini, well, doesnt

sorry for the questions but I guess I don't understand the benefit of having the 2 tuners (other than being able to record 7 things at one time vs 5 with the genie/mini). I will try to hold on to them but my house wasn't previously wired for anything so there may be issues with wiring in 3 rooms. I am thinking that the wireless genie's will help solve the problem of too many holes in the walls and too many wires outside the house. I could just be obtuse as well... :)

sorry for the questions but I guess I don't understand the benefit of having the 2 tuners (other than being able to record 7 things at one time vs 5 with the genie/mini). I will try to hold on to them but my house wasn't previously wired for anything so there may be issues with wiring in 3 rooms. I am thinking that the wireless genie's will help solve the problem of too many holes in the walls and too many wires outside the house. I could just be obtuse as well... :)

More tuners is part of it, but more drive space, and if your genie dies at least you can watch TV while you wait for a replacement.

I would keep at least the HR24. Faster than the clients, extra recording space, keep your current recordings, and great to have a backup in the event of a failure so you aren't without TV for days. The clients require a working genie or they are a doorstop.

After 17 years with DTV and never a thought about switching about ready now. over the past few years i was getting discounts of $40+ a month. Dec 2013 i had a owned hr23 go bad when i called we worked out a deal for a hr44 for free with a 2 year contact. at that time i ask the guy will this mess up my discounts i have been getting for years ? he said NO.. you have been with us since 1997 we love you etc.
Over the past few months my discounts have needed renewed they will not give me a dime. he flat out lied to me or did not know better or the rules have changed. over my years I've got free NFL NBA NHL one a year on top of these discounts. only been under contract when i started then again in 2006-08. in the 06-08 one i still got discounts nothing like this. to me it looks like ATT already in the door.

I also noticed no new customer discounts on DTV site.
Finally
after calling begging 4 times the past 15 months. called to cancel NBA league pass (they sent a letter) and talked to my hero he got me $40 off monthly for 12 months with commitment for 12 months. back to normal.

I have called about 4 times over the last month trying to get something worked out and the don't wanna give up anything. Half off Sunday ticket doesn't do me any good. On the other hand I called for my dad's service and got him free Sunday ticket, 30 off for 12, 10 off for 12, and 5 off for 12. Damn it. Been with direct for 4 years now. Don't wanna switch

Doesn't the Csr record notes when people call in so other csr's can see account notes?
Or do they only record notes when there is an issue?

Peds48: Thanks for the msg. Can you tell me why that is? Also, I think that I have had the 2 older ones for quite a while so I may actually have bought those vs. leasing. Does anyone know how long the leasing program has been going on? I know that I used to just buy my boxes up until a time. I just don't remember if these are 2 that I actually own.
I believe it was 2006 when D* started leasing units.

Hey guys, I want to start off this thread so it can help others and see what type of deals people are getting, please post what DirecTV retention team has offered you when you called them to cancel your services...
I called on Monday(9/7/15)and asked "when does my contract end?". A very nice women from Boise answered the phone and asked why I wanted to leave, I told her I didn't really but my HR34 was driving me crazy and I received a nice offer from Time warner. She asked me what sort of issue I was having and she said that I'll send you a replacement right now. I told her I didn't want to get another HR34, so she said that she would roll a truck, does tomorrow work for you? I told her that would be fine, and she offered ST for free $30 off for 6 months and another $24 off for a year, $505 off for the year, I'll take it! The next day a tech came and asked what the issue with the HR34 was, after I told him he asked me if I wanted the HR44, yes please!! He insalled the new genie and replaced the power inserter and the LNB(?) on the arm of the dish and left a happy customer and he earned a nice tip. Best call and service that I've had with Directv, very happy.

Reactions: madmadworld
after 13 years of being with D* I called and cancelled last night. once I told the auto attendant I wished to disconnect my account I sat on hold 25 mins waiting for a rep at 930 at night! the rep asked if he could give me NFLST free for a year and 10.00 off for a year to keep me, I politely declined and he said ok let me just double check a few things. He asked would we lose any networks we currently watch and once I told him we have streamed most everything for months and exclusively for the last month he just gave up and said he would put me on hold for a moment. He came back on phone a few minutes later and said I have you all setup, your account will disconnect at midnight tonight. We appreciate your business and if we can ever help just give us a call.

I hated to cancel, but to be honest my budget needs that 98.75 a month more than I need a genie! I'll get a Tablo to record my locals and continue to use Netflix/hulu/network apps(parents' login) for all our shows.

Reactions: bmetelsky
Retention offers went out the window since att bought out directv... All my discounts expire this month and my next bill gonna suck, I'm thinking about scheduling a cancellation and then calling them back .

Reactions: pattykay
I haven't had any 'good' offers from DirecTV in about 3 years. I've had a few small things, $5 off for 6 months, free redzone, and buy Showtime get Starz, etc. Nothing real special.
I've been with them 10 years but only out of contract for a year or so, as I bought a HR44 to upgrade from HR34 a while ago.

I've seriously been thinking about Dish, given the Hopper 3 and it's 16 tuners and better interface. Today Dish launched a 3 year price lock. I could get Top 200 (like xtra) for $80 with hopper, plus $7 per extra receiver which matches DirecTV. DirecTV is about $110 ($82 xtra, $23 HD/DVR/MRV, $2 RSN Fee), so moving to Dish would be a $30 savings guaranteed for 3 years, which would end up being $35 savings in year 2, $40 in year 3 with the typical $5/mo price increase each year.

I called this afternoon to verify my contract ended and see if they would do anything competitive to Dish, ask about the cancellation process, notice that needs to be given, etc. They asked about lowering my package and I said I wasn't interested in that. She then asked me to wait a minute and started going through some discounts. I don't remember everything, but the main things she was able to offer me was:
- $20 off for 24 months
- $30 off for 12 months
- Waived DVR fee for a year ($10 for 12 months)
- Free showtime for 4 months

This brings this year to $30 less than Dish, and next year to about $15 more that what I would have gotten with Dish.
I was very satisfied with this offering and accepted. I like the picture quality and Full-Time RSN channels on DirecTV, which Dish cannot offer due to compression and bandwidth limitations.
While the 16 tuners would be nice, I rarely use more than the 5 my Genie has and my wife has her own DVR with the HR24 that meets her needs.

I wish they would improve the interface, it is very dated, but the shortcoming in hardware is overcome with the picture quality and "always there content", as programming disputes are very rare on DirecTV, something Dish can't say.

The rep did say it was a 2 year commitment for the offer but I was never asked to verbally agree or anything, she just said it is discounts for agreeing to stay with Directv. That said, I doubt it is an actual agreement as no terms were discussed.

I'm happy for the next couple years, and hopefully they will stay competitive in the future, as switching providers is a significant pain I'd like to avoid.

Retention offers went out the window since att bought out directv.
I would say this is not the case, rather they are more conservative than they have been in years prior, something that really started before the AT&T acquisition.

I think discounts are very much account based now, including tenure, programming package, autopay, credit, extra services (like NFL), etc, even more so than in the past.

I called a week ago to cancel (was seriously considering it, i.e not just threatening to leave, and thinking about going to SlingTV for awhile until CFB starts again in Sept). The rep offered me $41/month credit (technically $31/month for something and additional $10/month credit for auto bill pay, which was I already signed up for) + free NFL Sunday Ticket Max and no contract required. Plus my two current $10/month credits ($20 total) that were added back in November will remain for the next 10 months until they expire. I'm on the Choice package with 3 TV's, all SD receivers, no HD, no DVR. Next bill *should* be $25.13 + tax, and then in Feb (after the rate hake goes into effect) $31.52 + tax through October.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts