Problems with SA 8300 HD cablebox

nbc

Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'm on my third SA-8300 HD DVR box (quality control stinks), and now I've got a new problem. After two trouble-free months, last night when I pushed the DVR button on the remote I got a message saying DVR Unauthorized. I called Cablevision and they went through their usual tricks (I gave them the serial number of the box, they tried reprogramming from their end, had me unplug and remove cablecard, etc.) and still no luck, so they are sending out a technician tomorrow morning. The box is otherwise working fine for both SD and HD broadcasts. I am afraid that they will just swap out the box, and I'll lose all my recorded shows. (Since I can't get access to the DVR, I can't export them to VCR.) Any ideas as to either (i) how the problem can be fixed or (ii) how I can somehow get access to my shows?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I've pretty much given up expecting the thing to actually do all of what it's supposed to. I have dealt with CV trying to figure out (mainly) why I cannot for the life of me have it record just first run programs--ANY first run programs. In order to get all of the shows of any show I want to record I must record ALL shows on that channel at any time. It gets the job done but rather annoying having to ALWAYS go through and delete all of the repeats.

CV basically says they don't know why and I would need to return the box for exchange. Since I asked them to take care of this when I moved recently and they DIDN'T I just don't have the time to go down and exchange boxes. More importantly, I don't really care to lose the stuff I already have recorded. One of these days if I don't have much there I just may waste, er ah, spend my time going down and exchanging the box but, until then, I've got little choice except just dealing with it.

I still like the box (overall). Some of the quirks are a little annoying but I can deal with them. This problem is the only problem which REALLY annoys the heck out of me.

Does Time-Warner offer FOX-HD?

Insight announces ESPN 2 HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)