Program to edit TS format video from DVR on a PC?

I loaded Win7 on the Dell computer at church. It works well. I also loaded Roxio. All new and different. The salesman said it would convert .ts and .flv. I liked that idea to do all the things I want in one program... WRONG!!. It won't convert either format. So.. since Freemake worked well at home, I will just use that at church too. I wasted my money on Roxio. Roxio does capture from live feed (s-video) and files it in many formats. I will be concerned with the issues discussed above about file size. It is a considerable compromise between resolution and archive resources required. I did one clip at 720x480 AVI and it took much more disk space than I want to use. BTW, Roxio dosen't have a 640x480 choice for frame size. 352x480 took a reasonable file space.

Not to nitpick, but TS isn't a format like MPEG2, WMV, etc.
More accurately, it can (in theory at least) be any of it but the acronym stands for Transport Stream. (as opposed to Program Stream, PS).
The best example would be Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD, the first is TS, the second - PS.

TS is a bit similar to ethernet, i.e. packetized traffic. All packets the same size even if some are empty.
This sacrifices size for the transport efficiency. Native satellite, cable, etc. transmissions are TS.

To convert TS to PS often a null packet stripper is enough Index of /stuff/NullPacketStripper
It leaves the underlying video stream as is, just removes null packets.
And it is better to recode (change bitrate, resolution, aspect ratio, etc.) PS than TS.

But since there is such a variety of flavours (not unlike DivX, XviD, etc.) there are no universal tools capable of handling every TS file.

Diogen.

Thanks, Diogen.

The more I read, the more I know I don't know!

The Roxio folks assured me this am that it will do .ts... and since "there are no universal tools capable of handling every TS file.", I will just have to find one that manages the .ts files recorded on the GeoSat 1100c. I know FreeMake does some and will try it on the 1100 hdd.

The Roxio capture device and burn software work fine.

Another question about the 1100c. Historically, I have been able to view a program on Dish DVR and if the channel hasn't been changed, go back to the beginning and record the entire program from there. Can the 1100c do that? I tried when I first got it set up and remember that it would not. It is common to be viewing something and say "Wow! I would like to have this program recorded."

At church, I want to do 3 things:

1. Capture live video of services as well as live satellite programming to the computer's hdd.
2. Convert .ts and .flv files
3. Burn selected programming to dvd/cd.

Brian is probably right that VideoRedo is the best overall software to do all 3. There are freeware programs that do all, but not in one program. Freemake converts and burns. I did one dvd the other day in FreeMake and it took hours!!

Thanks for all your patience and support!

Bill

Dr. Pepper 6044 said:
Another question about the 1100c. Historically, I have been able to view a program on Dish DVR and if the channel hasn't been changed, go back to the beginning and record the entire program from there. Can the 1100c do that?/QUOTE]

Time Machine function automatically records programming on the channel being viewed to enable reviewing the programming. You set up Time Machine to record a specific file size. I.E. 512 = approx. 1/2 hour of TV recording, 1GB = 1 hour, etc.

Time Machine does not allow the programming to be automatically committed to a recording. There is a trick shared by users where the USB hdd can be disconnected from the receiver before changing channels and then connected to a computer. Copy the TM file to the computer hdd and then archive for future viewing.

I played the converted an adtv file from ts to AVI common in 640x480 iwisoft, on both laptop and dvd player with usb in and it's slightly choppy slow motion, noticeable especially when the camera moves, audio is fine. I don't understand why this is happening.

Thanks for the work around, Brian.

I just looked at a youtube file of a group of homecoming singing featuring John Lomacang. I selected the hightest resolution and it was slightly choppy during highest camera motion. I kinda think it is just holding digitally rather than blurring as it would have done in older analog video recording. I did convert a 720x480 and it plays great on my compter. Also, I converted .ts files from a Fountainview Academy disk and it plays out of sync (audio with video) on the computer, but burned a dvd and it plays perfectly in the dvd player.

Also, I have used FreeMake and liked it up until it refused to launch. I went to the registry and search for about 12 different fragments of the file left. Deleted all of them and re-downloaded and installed. So far, it is working fine again. Do you suppose they have a built in stop after a few uses?

I played the converted an adtv file from ts to AVI common in 640x480 iwisoft, on both laptop and dvd player with usb in and it's slightly choppy slow motion, noticeable especially when the camera moves, audio is fine. I don't understand why this is happening.

Maybe the computer speed? I know if I play a video on an older computer it is choppy, another possibilty is it could be your video card drivers need updating? Try a smaller aspect ratio maybe like 352x288 and see what it looks like-- it should still fill a TV Screen at that AR with a slightly reduced picture quality sort of like a VHS tape. If your computer is not up to playing at 640x480 it should play fine with the reduced AR.

Maybe the computer speed? I know if I play a video on an older computer it is choppy, another possibilty is it could be your video card drivers need updating? Try a smaller aspect ratio maybe like 352x288 and see what it looks like-- it should still fill a TV Screen at that AR with a slightly reduced picture quality sort of like a VHS tape. If your computer is not up to playing at 640x480 it should play fine with the reduced AR.

I noticed in iwisoft if I even play the original ts file straight in the 'add' window, it's choppy. But if I play the original in media player classic, it's fine, but it's unedited.

Freemake closes itself when I click on edit, after it opens the edit window.

I will try reinstalling both.

I uninstalled iwisoft, and reinstalled, same thing, choppy playback in the add window. I used Freemake and just converted to avi, it kept all the original settings and playback isn't choppy in MPC, or 'Any video converter' (another utility I used before, but it didn't have ts format options, but I didn't update it to the latest either). Perhaps I don't have enough available RAM for iwisoft, or freemake editing, I will do a fresh reboot, and see if it will work without anything else running, so most RAM is available.

Hello again.

I am now experiencing what you have. I loaded FreeMake on the church computer. It seemed to work, but I cannot find the files it converts from the 1100c hdd. It does convert from .ts files on a dvd and I can find/play them.

Also, I didn't change any channels.. and took the hdd to the computer usb and it had no running recorded data. It must have been lost. I programmed it to record it.

Who knows?

Is there any help questions for FreeMake?

I was successful in converting a .ts file from the 1100c hdd with FreeMake to an mp4 file. It converts in Roxio, but has no audio.

Still unsuccessful.

Also, I looked for the time machine file to convert and it isn't displayed in Win7's explorer.

I reinstalled freemake and that works to edit files, and there is no chopiness that I have in playback on the pc like I do with iwisoft. However, the 1100dvr was not able to play back mp4, avi from iwisoft, or mpg from freemake, I will try avi through freemake. I did format (on dvr) the 8gb stick before copying files and testing on the dvr. My phillips dvd player usb port was able to play all files, with the same characteristics as the pc playback, meaning iwisoft choppy and lower quality (shading/ghosting), while freemake was very good.

I believe 640x480 is standard 4:3

You should be able get a much smaller file size when converting by adjusting the parameters. I was able to get the 3 hour documentary from ADtv which was 2.5 gb down to 1 gb with excellent picture quality

I have not found that the case with my set up-- I have taken the video from the DVR drive edited out the commercials and renamed it and copied the edited video file back the the DVR drive and it worked with no problems--but that might not work for every one

I guess I misunderstood/assumed wrong from the end of Gary's post in regard to format, evidently he was inferring ts format. So what program can I use to "edited out the commercials and renamed it and copied the edited video file back the the DVR drive and it worked with no problems".

So what program can I use to "edited out the commercials and renamed it and copied the edited video file back the the DVR drive and it worked with no problems".

Gary will need to clarify what program he uses to edit DVR recordings then playback using the DVR.

Video ReDo allows you to edit files and save back for playback with the DVR

fyretech,
I assumed you wanted to edit the TS files for playback on the computer-- sorry for the misunderstanding.

Video ReDo is the only program for editing out the commercials I know of that will allow playback on the DVR because it inserts the GeoSATPro/Conaxsat header-- once the comericals are edited out you can then rename it and copy the edited video file back the the DVR drive. I have edited the TS files in Freemake then saved as an mpeg file then loaded it in to Video ReDo and saved it has a TS, the reason Freemake TS files do not play when copied back to the DVR drive is because of the GeoSATPro/Conaxsat header is missing. Video ReDo will insert this header if the GeoSATPro/Conaxsat header is selected in the options of Video ReDo, Freemake goes not have an option to add this header.

I have a Visionsat IV200 Satellite receiver that the TS files edited with Freemake will play from the DVR I assume because it uses a standard header.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts