Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Get rid of many of these ads and be part of our community! Registration is FREE!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!

Protection Plan Price Increase

Discussion in 'The DIRECTV Forum' started by PMKS, Aug 18, 2012.

1. PMKS

PMKS Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

Got a letter today:

The DIRECTV Protection Plan is going up to $7.99 a month effective Oct 4, 2012.

But I'll get a $2 credit on each monthly bill until my "initial" 12-month period ends?
    I've had the protection plan since at least 2003/2004, :confused: unless it automatically renews every year?

New to the protection plan effective Oct 4, 2012:

New Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional costs**
    **requires a 24 month agreement and you have to be "eligible" whatever that means

New Unintentional and accident damage from handling of the DIRECTV System

Just passing this along.....

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214 SatelliteGuys Guru Pub Member / Supporter

Thank you for sharing :)
  3. Iceberg

Iceberg We're here....RUN!!!! Supporting Founder

thanks for sharing
  4. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek SatelliteGuys Guru Pub Member / Supporter

Dang. Guess I gotta pay for those new HD channels they just added ;)

Or maybe its Viacom LOL
  5. detroit_fan

detroit_fan Active SatelliteGuys Member

well that stinks. seems kinda high for the basic protection plan
  6. viclovr

viclovr Member

a birdy told me thats in texas only, for now.
  7. Jimbo

Jimbo NW Ohio - Buckeye Country Pub Member / Supporter

D* doesn't usually change prices in the middle of the year, typically it's only in Feb/March
  8. KasumiX

KasumiX Member

Hm... aren't upgrades generally $199? $7.99 for 2 years is $191.76... seems like a pretty slim savings for something you may not even do.
  9. gadgtfreek

Upgrades and PP really have nothing to do in my eyes. PP is for when I need a repair, and I dont need as much to pay to roll a truck.
  10. msmith198025

msmith198025 The Baby Sitter Pub Member / Supporter

Personally I have never seen the point. The box is theirs, I am simply leasing it, so they will replace it for free. All you are really left with is a tech visit, and the one and only time I needed one it was easy enough to get them to waive it. Even so, isnt the tech visit $50 or so at most? (may be wrong on that).
  11. Mo Fly

Mo Fly Member

i just got the same letter. it just reminded me that i need to cancel it :rolleyes:
  12. gadgtfreek

Tech visit is $70 IIRC. Also, $19.95 S&H has been charged before on a leaser receiver exchange for failure, and I think PP waives that. Generally, waiving of a fee requires you to sign up for the PP for 30 days, but hey, what do I care. I pay it knowing if I need something fixed, i dont have to worry about it.

As I think about, Im also seeing it worth it to pay $191.76 for 2 years, just to get the free upgrade every 24 months. Granted it's only a $8 savings from the general $199, but if I need anything else in the 2 years ive saved more money. The 24 month free upgrade, if you are someone that does it, kinda makes it a wash.
  13. goober22

goober22 Active SatelliteGuys Member

This December will be 5 years with D* for me. I DON'T have the PP. I self installed, have a meter, and take care of any issues (I haven't had any BTW). This past year I was notified that I had a free upgrade to a HD/DVR (a $199 value) for a 2-yr commitment. Since I already have 6, I passed.

If I had the PP I would have paid about $336 and seen no results. If I had a failed receiver = $20 shipping, or $70 tech visit - still ahead. So... if you know what you are doing, the PP is kinda worthless. If you don't have a clue, then maybe it's worthwhile. Everyone is different.
  14. Aridon

Aridon Active SatelliteGuys Member

Upgrade to what? Most of us here already have all the equipment we need and once the contract is up you'll get the same deal plus some anyways. Seems a waste to me.
  15. cbjbs

cbjbs PIT MEMBER

i would like to think they will pass some of that money on to their installers and the techs. that help on the phone.