PS4 as a Blu-ray Player Thread

Sony adds User's Guide. Wow, no 3D Blu-ray support right now with the PS4, either.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/index.html

S~

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/09/xbox-one-ps4-3d-blu-ray-playback/

According to engaget Sony has confirmed that this isn't the case. They say it is part of the day one patch along with regular blu-ray playback. My PS4 will be here in an hour or two and I do have 3D blu-rays on hand so I will test it for myself. However, That same article says Microsoft confirmed that 3D isn't supported at launch on Xbox One.

Last night Sony also confirmed that CD and MP3 playback will be patched in at a later date.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/13/ps4-adding-mp3-and-cd-support-post-launch

Well I just tested this and it really doesn't support 3D Blu-ray. I got an error message saying my player was not supported when I tried. That is a bummer for me because I was hoping the the PS4 would be my primary Blu-ray player now. It looks like that duty will still fall to the PS3 until this is patched in. I did test a 2D Blu-ray and that did work as expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No CD support at this time. You'll probably get some sort of disc not supported error. They felt the pressure on this one and DLNA support. Wonder how long until they are added?

S~

What happens when you try playing a CD?

This.

IMG_0490.JPG

Ok here is another problem with Blu-ray playback. I threw one of my random Blu-rays in to test it out. Everything loaded up faster than the PS3. The lip sync was off by quite a bit. I have never experienced this on the PS3 during blu-ray playback and I have never had this problem with any other piece of hardware attached to my Onkyo 609. This was in LPCM mode tested on Inglorious Bastards. I didn't have time to test bitstream mode or other Blu-rays to see if it was an isolated incident or not. I will do some more testing tonight.

For right now I really can't recommend picking up a PS4 strictly for blu-ray playback. Right now the PS3 is better for that purpose except for system noise and loading speed. I posted a link to an $89 Sony 3D bluray player with lots of streaming apps and DLNA support. If you aren't a gamer, something like that is a better choice for movie playback.

On the lip sync issue: are you running HDMI straight to the TV set? Or is it going through an A/V receiver? Do you have the issue when connected straight to the TV set?

When it happens again. Try pausing the playback for a few seconds. See if it helps.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

On the lip sync issue: are you running HDMI straight to the TV set? Or is it going through an A/V receiver?

When it happens again. Try pausing the playback for a few seconds. See if it helps.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It's PS4 to Onkyo and then Onkyo to PS4 all via HDMI. This is the same way my PS3 and all other components are hooked up and this is my first lip sync issue. Hopefully it was a one time thing. I will try out some different settings and movies tonight. If I have the same issue I will try pausing like you said.

After playing around with blu-ray again tonight I'm not seeing lip sync issues anymore. It looks right in both PCM and Bitstream modes. I might have just needed a reboot earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So how is PQ on Blu and Netflix?

I haven't tested Netflix on the PS4 and I'm not an expert on picture quality. I don't really see any difference between my PS3 and the free toshiba player that came with my 3D TV. I didn't actually watch a movie on the PS4. I just checked out a few scenes to see the loading time and to make sure everything worked properly. The picture looked good but to my eyes it wasn't a noticeable improvement over the PS4 or toshiba. Once these systems are in the wild I'm sure people with better trained eyes can give you the answers you want.

Rather than starting a new thread to ask my PS3/Netflix-related question, I thought I'd try here first: does anyone know why I wouldn't be getting 5.1 DD on certain TV shows and movies, even though the listing in the PS3 Netflix app says it's available in 5.1 and other shows that I'm watching are giving me 5.1 audio? For instance, Sons of Anarchy is only 2 channel audio for me on my PS3 (using HDMI straight to Yamaha receiver), but House of Cards is always 5.1. I thought the "5.1" might just be false advertising for Sons of Anarchy (and a few other shows and movies I've tried), but last night I fired up SoA on my bedroom smart blu-ray player (a Sony 3100) and was getting 5.1 (coaxial to 10-year-old old Panasonic receiver). I had my PS3 set to PCM, but changing to bitstream didn't seem to make a difference. Any other settings I could check?

EDIT: Nevermind. I think it's false (or misleading) advertising after all, as I see I'm getting 5.1 now starting with season 4 of SoA on both my PS3 and smart BD player.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)