PS4 Owners Thread

A quick look at all the Steam ratings of these games presents a mixed bag. While I am happy that Indie Devs are getting a new place to shine on PS4, a few more AAA releases would be nice.

A quick look at all the Steam ratings of these games presents a mixed bag. While I am happy that Indie Devs are getting a new place to shine on PS4, a few more AAA releases would be nice.

I like indie games too. The problem is that most of them are pretty cheap and often go on sale for $5 or less before they are offered on PS Plus. Now, if you want to play all of them paying for PS Plus still works out in your favor. The amount of these indies I actually want to play that I haven't already grabbed in a humble bundle or some other sale is really low. For me there is no question that PS Plus on the PS4 is not the same great value it was on the PS3.

For purely selfish reasons as someone who plays most of my games on PC I would prefer PS Plus to have as many PS4 exclusives as possible. I'm totally fine with indies if they did that more often. The last PS Plus game I played was Journey.

In general both my consoles are only used for exclusives these days with a few exceptions. If both PS Plus and Gold would prioritize exclusives I would use my consoles much more often.

Recently there's been a disturbingly large number of basically sh*t games getting into the Playstation store. Now, you may ask what is my definition of sh*t? And I have gotten into disagreements with some people over the idea that stores being gatekeepers can lead to problems where deserving games may not get in due to various reasons such as a game not being liked by a reviewer or something along those lines. I have been of the mindset that a LITTLE curation is needed to make sure that a certain quality level of games is allowed in a store. We've seen what has happened to Steam because of this. The once proud hallmark of PC game sales is now overrun with crap that belongs as work in progress projects in GitHub as opposed to things that are trying to be monetized.

Console game storefronts have been rather immune to this problem, as MS and Sony have (or at least had) stringent certification requirements, and they had to be met, since unlike PCs there's no alternative to PS Store or XBL Marketplace. However, it appears that Sony is taking the Steam laissez faire approach of just letting ANYTHING in. And it's not like these games are just hidden away or put in an independent storefront, similar to what XBL had with their Indie store. Some of these have been advertised on the official Playstation YouTube Channel!

Rather than link all the individual videos I put together a playlist.

Again, I'm not saying that there needs to be STRICT curation of games in storefronts, but stuff like what's been put up recently is just inexcusable. These aren't just misunderstood games or things that are just too "different." These are games that have no business on really any storefront IMO. The most insulting is the Firefighter Simulator video, which costs $30! Take a look at what you can get for $30 from PS store then look back at that.

Details about the 4.50 PS4 Firmware have been revealed. This is quite a significant update. Features include EXTERNAL HDD SUPPORT, Custom Wallpaper, 3D Blu Rays on PSVR, and more.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

This is actually a pretty nice update. It won't really effect me much but external HDD and 3D Blu Ray support are things that a lot of people have been asking for. I've already replaced my internal HDD and I don't care about 3D Blu Ray even though my TV and AVR support it but this will make some people really happy.

The Last Guardian just got a permanent 33% price reduction. I'll let you figure out the math to keep your mind sharp. Apparently I should do this more often because when I first typed this my math was wrong and wrote 25%.

Just a FYI, this game came out 8 weeks ago..

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14479040/the-last-guardian-price-cut

I do have some interest/curiosity about this game. Once it goes on sale for 50% off this new price I'll probably give it a shot.

Still no CD playback support. WTF? I know it's not something a lot of people ask for, but how hard, really, would it be to enable? And I'm not even talking about including all the capabilities the PS3 had with CDs (ripping discs to the HDD, pulling track info/cover graphics off the web, folder and playlist management, etc.) I just want to stick the disc in the machine, like a DVD or blu-ray, and have it play. That's it! I hate having to keep an extra disc player in my HT setup just for that purpose.

External HDD will be nice, but I put a 2 TB into mine the day I bought it, and still not nearing filling it yet.

Plus only having 2 USB ports will making having the external HDD suck (especially since the PSVR and Camera take a port each). Maybe I should use that as an excuse to get the PS Pro. :D

Let's just remember though that the Wii U had external support at launch, and the Xbox One has had it since June of 2014. Hard to understand what took Sony so long to implement a simple feature such as this.

The PS4 Pro is getting a "Boost Mode" in firmware 4.50, which will basically throw more power at unpatched Pro games to provide better framerates.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/14499188/ps4-pro-boost-mode-firmware-4-50

Maybe with this, Bloodborne will finally get a steady 30 FPS.

This is a good idea but it seems like something that should have been there since the launch of the PS4 Pro. If the power is there why wouldn't you use it for games that have framerate dips.

Still no CD playback support. WTF? I know it's not something a lot of people ask for, but how hard, really, would it be to enable? And I'm not even talking about including all the capabilities the PS3 had with CDs (ripping discs to the HDD, pulling track info/cover graphics off the web, folder and playlist management, etc.) I just want to stick the disc in the machine, like a DVD or blu-ray, and have it play. That's it! I hate having to keep an extra disc player in my HT setup just for that purpose.
You still play CDs?

The PS4 Pro is getting a "Boost Mode" in firmware 4.50, which will basically throw more power at unpatched Pro games to provide better framerates.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/14499188/ps4-pro-boost-mode-firmware-4-50

Maybe with this, Bloodborne will finally get a steady 30 FPS.

Well what do you know..

(First clip is standard, 2nd is pro)

It's a little sad that in this day and age that this extra processing power is needed for games to reach a steady 30 FPS, as opposed to 60. That Bloodborne clip was almost painful to watch, because it lets me know what I get to look forward to when/if I ever get back to that game.

Hopefully by some miracle the PS4 exclusivity deal is just time based and we'll eventually see a proper release on PC.

You still play CDs?

I have racks of CDs in my living room, and I can find any one CD I'd like to play within five seconds--then another five to ten seconds to open the case, pop into the player, and press play. With network streaming on the other hand, I have to first launch the PS4's media player, connect to my network, and then scroll through hundreds of folders to find what I was looking for... sometimes not finding it because I forgot the exact wording of the album title or spelling of the artist's name.

Beyond that, touching on what yourbelief's said, it's just mind-boggling that Sony's flagship media device (that I paid $400 for at one time) cannot play a CD, but a $25 Philips DVD player at Walmart can.

EDIT: Not to mention, the sound quality is noticeably better, by a wide margin, for CD playback compared to MP3 streaming.

I have racks of CDs in my living room, and I can find any one CD I'd like to play within five seconds--then another five to ten seconds to open the case, pop into the player, and press play. With network streaming on the other hand, I have to first launch the PS4's media player, connect to my network, and then scroll through hundreds of folders to find what I was looking for... sometimes not finding it because I forgot the exact wording of the album title or spelling of the artist's name.

Beyond that, touching on what yourbelief's said, it's just mind-boggling that Sony's flagship media device (that I paid $400 for at one time) cannot play a CD, but a $25 Philips DVD player at Walmart can.

EDIT: Not to mention, the sound quality is noticeably better, by a wide margin, for CD playback compared to MP3 streaming.
Hmm. I just say Alexa, play xxxx and it comes booming out of my system.

Reactions: Zookster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)