PS4 Owners Thread

Hmm. I just say Alexa, play xxxx and it comes booming out of my system.

Funny you should mention that. Last week I learned there's a FireTV Android app that turns my first-gen FireTV Stick into an Alexa device. It gives me access to Prime Music content and whatever CDs in my collection found their way into my Amazon cloud storage. I'll have to play around with it to figure out how to play an album in track order because the default mode seems to be "shuffle" no matter what I ask it to play.

Yep. Everyone seems to love it. I was planning on holding out for a sale but I think I might just take advantage of Amazon's 20% discount for Prime members so I can play it until Mass Effect Andromeda comes out. I already thought this looked like my kind of game before the reviews. Seeing the almost unanimous 9s and 10s has me wanting to play it on launch day.

I'll be getting mine via Gamefly, although I do find it amusing that its coming out the same week as Zelda. I get the feeling that it's going to be a duel between the 2 for my attention. I have a hard enough time paying attention to ONE open world game, let alone 2 that are very similar to each other. Might make for a fun comparison video.

This joke tweet made me laugh. It's a parody account of game journalist Laura K Buzz.

Yeah, I completely forgot about Zelda. That's probably only because I don't have a console to play it on though. I've kind of decided to put it out of my mind until we start seeing some good Switch bundles.

Most of the discussion about Horizon: Zero Dawn came from people who are using PS4 Pro consoles. Everyone says the game looks great and runs well but as someone with a standard PS4 I was curious how the performance is on that platform. Luckily Digital Foundry has done a performance analysis for both systems.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

If you don't want to watch the video, the short version is that the game looks great and runs smoothly on both consoles. They say the biggest difference is that the PS4 renders it at a native 1080p while the PS4 Pro renders the game at 4K checkerboard.

The game is locked to 30 FPS on both consoles, which is understandable for an open world game that looks this good. Digital Foundry says it is a very consistent 30 FPS with very few dips on both consoles. The PS4 Pro version is supposed to have a patch available around launch that gives people the option of 4K rendering with a locked 30 FPS or 1080p rendering with higher framerates.

Most of the discussion about Horizon: Zero Dawn came from people who are using PS4 Pro consoles. Everyone says the game looks great and runs well but as someone with a standard PS4 I was curious how the performance is on that platform. Luckily Digital Foundry has done a performance analysis for both systems.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

If you don't want to watch the video, the short version is that the game looks great and runs smoothly on both consoles. They say the biggest difference is that the PS4 renders it at a native 1080p while the PS4 Pro renders the game at 4K checkerboard.

The game is locked to 30 FPS on both consoles, which is understandable for an open world game that looks this good. Digital Foundry says it is a very consistent 30 FPS with very few dips on both consoles. The PS4 Pro version is supposed to have a patch available around launch that gives people the option of 4K rendering with a locked 30 FPS or 1080p rendering with higher framerates.

I hope for PS4 Pro owners that they do a 60 FPS frame cap and not just unlock the frame rate. Final Fantasy XV had this and DF found that the game actually ran worse with the higher frame rates.

After a couple of days of thinking it over and watching trailers, game play videos, and reading reviews I decided to pre-order Horizon: Zero Dawn via Amazon Prime.
Something to look forward to on Tuesday. :)

Reactions: king3pj
I hope for PS4 Pro owners that they do a 60 FPS frame cap and not just unlock the frame rate. Final Fantasy XV had this and DF found that the game actually ran worse with the higher frame rates.

I think they will if the PS4 Pro is actually capable of running the game at a consistent 60 FPS. In FF XV's case it was not so they couldn't lock the FPS at 60. In that video FF XV seems to be at around 45 FPS most of the time with pretty wide variations.

This is the reason some PC gamers chose to lock PC games at 30 FPS if they can't maintain 60. A constant 30 will usually feel smoother than wild swings between 40 and 60 (unless you have G-sync).

I have my doubts that Horizon will run at a constant 60 in performance mode on a PS4 Pro though. If it did I think they would have used that as a selling point for both the game and the PS4 Pro instead of just saying higher framerates.

This is actually a decent month. My PS Plus subscription is set to expire on Friday and I was strongly considering letting it run out. I think I will start looking for some discounts on yearly subscriptions instead.

I've played a few hours of the Disc Jam beta and it's a pretty cool game. You can tell from their menus that they are trying to emulate Rocket League even though it's a different kind of competitive sports game. Seeing it also follow Rocket League's example and coming to PS Plus at launch is not all that surprising.

Teraway was a cool game on the Vita and the PS4 version of it is probably pretty decent too. Lastly I have heard lots of good things about Severed. It's just a question of whether I am willing to dust my Vita off and play it.

This is actually a decent month. My PS Plus subscription is set to expire on Friday and I was strongly considering letting it run out. I think I will start looking for some discounts on yearly subscriptions instead.

I've played a few hours of the Disc Jam beta and it's a pretty cool game. You can tell from their menus that they are trying to emulate Rocket League even though it's a different kind of competitive sports game. Seeing it also follow Rocket League's example and coming to PS Plus at launch is not all that surprising.

Teraway was a cool game on the Vita and the PS4 version of it is probably pretty decent too. Lastly I have heard lots of good things about Severed. It's just a question of whether I am willing to dust my Vita off and play it.
Perfect timing: You can get a year of membership for $44 via Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-Plus-1-Year-Membership-Subscription-Card-NEW-/121345728193

Reactions: king3pj
Wouldn't you know the month I finally drop my Plus sub they would offer a game I was really interested in, Tearaway Unfolded. And the PS4 version expands quite a bit from what the Vita version included, from what I understand.

You can now install titles to USB hard drives as large as 8TB, sparing you from having to perform surgery on your system (or buy a new console) when the included storage no longer passes muster.
Has this person ever replaced a PS4 HDD? It's hardly "surgery". And it's simple enough that you don't need a new console when you need a bigger drive.

The big 4.50 firmware update (ext HDD support, Pro Boost Mode) launches tomorrow.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/08/ps4-4-5-update-arrives-march-9/?sr_source=Facebook

I would consider grabbing a external HDD if there was a USB port on the back. I try to keep my entertainment center as clean looking as I can and I don't really like the idea of a USB cable permanently attached to the front, center of my console. I guess I will just have to manage the storage if the 1TB drive i put in the PS4 gets full. It hasn't been a problem so far.

Has this person ever replaced a PS4 HDD? It's hardly "surgery". And it's simple enough that you don't need a new console when you need a bigger drive.

Yeah, that person is definitely making it sound worse than it is. I understand that lots of people aren't comfortable with tinkering with their electronics but if I remember correctly from when I replaced mine at launch you only have to remove a single screw, slide the original drive out of the tray, put the new drive in the tray, and put the screw back in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)