Punctuation in Search on Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bob Violence

Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I want to do a search on the Hopper for "NFL:" (without quotes) so I can then create an ongoing recording for all NFL football games (as they are all titled NFL: awayteam vs hometeam).

I can't figure out how to enter a colon after NFL.

With the remote, I've tried repeatedly pressing the number 1, however a colon is not in the list of punctuation that comes up. I have also tried plugging in a USB keyboard into the Hopper, however that gets me nowhere as the device isn't recognized.

How do you enter a colon in the search criteria?

He's trying to even further filter the results he'll get. Yes, it will surely work without the semicolon, but he'll likely have more results to sift through.

I'm not at home but presuming the Dish remote uses fairly standard "T9", isn't it one of the bottom-row buttons, either the 0, # or *, that you press repeatedly and it cycles through punctuation ?

Go to one of the games, and press search. Then only delete the teams portion of it. See if that works.
That was a great idea and I just tried it out of curiosity. It doesn't work. The cursor lands on the game in the description area and when you move it over to the keyboard area the entire search term (that actually had the : in it) vanishes.

Try putting the cursor on 'delete' then press green 'Search History' button to get the game back into the search box.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The * button is delete letter by letter. You do not even have to highlight the text. Just hit search, then ****** how ever many times you need to

Press 1 repeatedly to cycle through special characters. A semi colon isn't needed and isn't in the options.

I think the best option us to hit search when you have the show in the guide.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There's no specific "show" he's searching for though. He wants ALL of the NFL games that are broadcast and he's determined that they all appear in the guide with the text string "NFL: (team A vs team B)".

Even with the colon ( : ) in the search area it doesn't work. Through search history I managed to get it there and delete everything but the NFL: before it all disappeared. It still found all shows that start with NFL. I guess since a colon is not a usable character it ignores it during the search.

Search_zpsaa5a51f5.jpg

Reactions: TheKrell
Even with the colon ( : ) in the search area it doesn't work. Through search history I managed to get it there and delete everything but the NFL: before it all disappeared. It still found all shows that start with NFL. I guess since a colon is not a usable character it ignores it during the search.

Yep, that is exactly what I found as well. Through the methods previously mentioned in this thread, I was able to get "NFL:" in the search box, and even set up a recording for it, however the Dish software seems to ignore the colon completely, and just uses "NFL", which in turn records a lot of stuff, not just the games.

Looks like I'm back to just manually recording every game.

I tried it at DishOnline to see if it used or ignored the semicolon:

nfl2.png

Looks good, huh ?

Sadly, it returns the exact same results as this search:

nfl1.png

(35) results from both searches and (for my location) only 4-5 are the actual games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts