Qatar TV Schedule?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
I have seen some good movies on this channel. Just finished watching the end of Road to Perdition starring Tom Hanks. Has anyone seen a usable schedule for this channel?

OK Thanks. I will see what I can come up with. Hopefully I can contribute something to the forum. I can pull up something halfway usable through Google translate I see. Any Perl programmers among us? I have done some automated html dumps then parsed out data from web pages in the past that worked pretty well. I'm thinking I could try something like that. Wish me luck I am going to try it.

Reactions: FTA4PA
This URL:

http://translate.google.com/transla...dbox=0&usg=ALkJrhgr7npV8qqa5tpk_Jp4yupHYl9nIw

Will yield this:

QatarTV.jpg

The film was on at 7:00 AM EDT. Qatar is 8 hours ahead or 15:00.
So the schedule is not accurate, oh well. Am I doing something wrong or is this inaccuracy common?

Thanks for reminding us about this channel.
I´ve also watched some good documentaries there. Some of them from the History Channel.

As I see today Qatar is 7 hours ahead of EDT, tomorrow it will be 8 hours ahead (of EST).
But I don´t think that would be the problem with the schedule, from what I remember about schedules from Kuwait TV, they´re usually not updated, maybe same thing happens with other Arab channels.

From what I gather from KTV and Saudi now, and I remember some good shows on Qatar tv, I think they are running the same feed they are airing live in that part of the world, therefore their prime time is usually on our afternoons, and the kids shows air on our late evenings.

After working with the schedule for Cubavision on 30W, I have some serious doubts about Google translate also which may be part of my difficulties with the Qatar schedule. The movie titles for Cubavision came back so whacky that I did not recognize the titles at all.
Hypothetical example would be the documentary "How its Made" may come back as "There is an apple on my foot" or something ridiculous. There is an Arab speaker where I work. I may enlist his help in this endeavor.

After working with the schedule for Cubavision on 30W, I have some serious doubts about Google translate also which may be part of my difficulties with the Qatar schedule. The movie titles for Cubavision came back so whacky that I did not recognize the titles at all.
Hypothetical example would be the documentary "How its Made" may come back as "There is an apple on my foot" or something ridiculous. There is an Arab speaker where I work. I may enlist his help in this endeavor.

Ok with the cubavision schedule it´s always tricky,

You see the problem with that schedule is that they list a show not translating its original title. But rather they use another title sometimes similar sometimes very different. same thing they do with the movie titles.

I remember when Stargate SG1 was on cubavision they listed it as Puerta a las Estrellas, which literal translation on google would render Door to the Stars.

In Latin America most movie titles are changed.
There was a movie on Cubavision, "Hanky Panky" with Gene Wilder,

which Cubavision listed as "Fuga para Dos" which means "Escape for Two", sooo... you can imagine what a mess that makes when trying to translate their programming schedule :D

That reminds me when years ago I would watch an american movie with spanish subtitles, the character would say something like: son of a bitch, and the subtitle in spanish would show as translation "sorpresa" (i.e. surprise).

Thanks, I had no idea about the titles being totally different in other countries. I am starting to see the difficulties involved in coming up with a simple and understandable schedule for foreign fta channels.

Yep, even when I speak Spanish I sometimes need to play detective by checking the actor´s names, in which movie these 2 or 3 names are together, google it to come up with the answer, look for the year of the movie, any other clue on cubavision´s schedule,

Case in point. the movie Hanky Panky appeared like this on CV schedule, no year, that weird title in Spanish, so I´d have to check in which movie Gene Wilder co-starred with Gilda Radner and was directedy by Sidney Poitier, takes a little time to do that. unless you´re an expert on movies. :wink

upload_2014-11-1_13-45-6.png

Yep, even when I speak Spanish I sometimes need to play detective by checking the actor´s names, in which movie these 2 or 3 names are together, google it to come up with the answer, look for the year of the movie, any other clue on cubavision´s schedule,

Case in point. the movie Hanky Panky appeared like this on CV schedule, no year, that weird title in Spanish, so I´d have to check in which movie Gene Wilder co-starred with Gilda Radner and was directedy by Sidney Poitier, takes a little time to do that. unless you´re an expert on movies. :wink

View attachment 102532

That is exactly what I had to do with Cubavision to figure out the actual US movie title.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts