Question about Flex

Especially if the new dual tuner stick is from Hauppauge. I have a 10 year old single tuner stick from them for one of my pc's, and I've used the TitanTV app that entire time to schedule recordings with it.

I submitted the Titan tv app idea to Dish on the email they sent me yesterday and they responded that they submitted the Titan tv app idea to engineering department. So maybe they will consider it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: Stargazer
I submitted the Titan tv app idea to Dish on the email they sent me yesterday and they responded that they submitted the Titan tv app idea to engineering department. So maybe they will consider it.

Being able to use that app to schedule ota recordings would solve the ota guide problem. Sure it would be an extra click or two, but hey, at least it would work.

Being able to use that app to schedule ota recordings would solve the ota guide problem. Sure it would be an extra click or two, but hey, at least it would work.

My idea was to let us use the Titan app in place of ota guide information from the satellite. The channel master Dvr uses it in their guides and Echostar-sister company of DISH and maker of the DISH receivers ,makes the channel master Dvr as well. So how much of a stretch would it be to enable a software update that allows this ,if you have the Internet hooked up yo your receiver.

Reactions: Stargazer
When you buy a Haupaugge device it comes with the Titan TV app. Dish could do the same thing when it sells it's own ota tuner device. Just wrap it into the price. I'm sure this will cost more than the Haupaugge devices available on Amazon anyway since Dish will make sure no other devices will work with their stb's.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
My idea was to let us use the Titan app in place of ota guide information from the satellite. The channel master Dvr uses it in their guides and Echostar-sister company of DISH and maker of the DISH receivers ,makes the channel master Dvr as well. So how much of a stretch would it be to enable a software update that allows this ,if you have the Internet hooked up yo your receiver.
My concern with that idea is that Dish would take the satellite-delivered OTA guide info away from those of us who do not have internet connected to our receivers. :(

I would think that DISH would continue to support ota guide information for the same channels on the satellite that they always have, until they have a way to replace all older receivers with either hoppers or other new receivers with the Titan app. Then they could get out of having to put the guide information up on the satellite anymore. This would free up a lot of crap they have to upload all across the country. DISH wins, the customer wins with the app and everyone is happy.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I would think that DISH would continue to support ota guide information for the same channels on the satellite that they always have, until they have a way to replace all older receivers with either hoppers or other new receivers with the Titan app. Then they could get out of having to put the guide information up on the satellite anymore. This would free up a lot of crap they have to upload all across the country. DISH wins, the customer wins with the app and everyone is happy.

So, does the Titan app/info require internet access? What about the many, like myself, who don't have the ability to connect my receiver to the internet when they quit putting the guide data through the satellite? That's why I'm using satellite TV in the first place, no cable or wired broadband.

Reactions: pattykay
Yes, it does require internet access to get full 14 days of guide for the channels using the Titan Tv app. DISH would need to still support all ota guide information for the channels already on the satellite ,but for those who have internet connected to their receivers , you would get full guide information for sub channels as well. The Titan App gives me FULL guide information for all my sub channels in my area. DISH has said they won't add any more guide information for ota sub channels on the satellite , so this would satisfy those who want full guide information for all sub channels. Eventually, I would think over the years , even those who don't have a wireless internet router would get one so they could enjoy the full experience with not only guide information for ota channels, but the video on demand and other apps on the hopper. This would even push some to finally upgrade to the hopper 3 in order to get the full guide information for all their sub channels and other channels that DISH doesn't carry now on the satellite.

Eventually Dish could stop supporting the satellite guide information as they declared more older receivers obsolete and make subs upgrade to the newer receivers that have the hopper like interface. So no conflict here, just looking at the Big picture.

Reactions: Tampa8
Even with the newer receivers, some people will still refuse (or be unable) to connect their receivers to the internet. Also, lately Dish has been requiring the newest receiver for any new apps, while taking some apps away from the older receivers. In the old days with Dish Home, it seemed like Dish tried to make the apps compatible with as many receiver models as possible, even older ones. It seems like they have gotten away from that. So, if they implement your suggestion, it will just be another way to force people to keep upgrading their receiver, just to keep the same functionality they already have with their current receiver. :(

Even with the newer receivers, some people will still refuse (or be unable) to connect their receivers to the internet. Also, lately Dish has been requiring the newest receiver for any new apps, while taking some apps away from the older receivers. In the old days with Dish Home, it seemed like Dish tried to make the apps compatible with as many receiver models as possible, even older ones. It seems like they have gotten away from that. So, if they implement your suggestion, it will just be another way to force people to keep upgrading their receiver, just to keep the same functionality they already have with their current receiver. :(
Relax. I 'm sure DISH won't do what I suggest because it would make too many people unhappy who don't like change. SO we will keep on getting crappy guide information from the satellite, that doesn't provide full data for the sub channels and other channels in our dmas.

Reactions: pattykay
Unfortunately for people without good or any internet, all ota dvr options require internet for the guide service. The only way to get ota recording without depending on internet for schedules is to buy one of those cheap digital tuner boxes that allow you to connect a hdd. You can then use psip data to record (good luck with the accuracy of that). But you can still get weekly print magazines that have local tv schedules.

My point was that maybe DISH would offer the option of adding the Titan app and using it for full ota guide information, for those who have the internet connected to their hoppers. Just like older DISH receivers don't have Netflix app or You tube app on them , this would be a perk for Hopper owners and an incentive to subs to upgrade to the hopper . IF DISH wants to keep the bare minimum of guide information for the big 4 networks and the channels they choose to for everyone else and the older receivers then fine too. Adding the app would remove a big complaint for many subs who want full guide information for all channels and sub channels and it would be an easy addition via software by DISH. Everyone would win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)