Questions For Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
As the 1080i streams aren't typically 1920x1080 (many are reportedly 1440x1080) and the 480i (described as VHS resolution; 230 lines?) streams aren't whatever you might expect them to be, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ask for "native" if the receiver is going to have to convert them anyway.

Hey, you are from my neck of the woods (I was born and raised in Grants Pass), so howdy.

I disagree though. It doesn't matter (well, it does matter a great deal as I don't like my HD to be anything less than true HD) what the resolution is, I want the ability to 'see' it without the DN box doing anything to it. If they are going to transmit 1440X1080, I don't want their box converting it to 1920X1080, or at least I want the option of disabling any DN box conversion. It's pretty simple stuff really. I just want the option of manipulating, or not manipulating as I see fit, the data stream. I don't want DN dictating to me what their box is going to do.

A perfect example would be 1080p 24fps. DN claims that some of their HD, pay per views I would assume, is Blu-Ray quality. In my opinion, that would have to include the ability to not convert the 24fps 1080p data into 1080p 60Hz if I don't want it to. Many many displays now have the capability to display 24Hz or at least multiples of 24Hz, 48Hz or 72Hz, or even 120Hz. DN should allow us the option of as clean a signal as possible.

Same with audio, DN could, and in my opinion should, be doing much more to allow the end user as much control over the data stream as possible.

Bottom line, if DN was as much into providing as clean and pure a digital signal as possible with todays technology as many of us are, we wouldn't be having this 'conversation'.

I miss 'home',
George

The video has probably been recompressed from its original state at least once before it gets to the receiver, so I'm not sure how native resolution passthrough would give you a more pristine version.

What exactly are they doing wrong with the audio? Do you want Dolby instead of PCM for the non-premium SD channels? I have no idea whether or not they originate in Dolby.

The video has probably been recompressed from its original state at least once before it gets to the receiver, so I'm not sure how native resolution passthrough would give you a more pristine version.

What exactly are they doing wrong with the audio? Do you want Dolby instead of PCM for the non-premium SD channels? I have no idea whether or not they originate in Dolby.

Sure, I understand that DN does a ton of 'bad things' to their data transmissions and there is nothing we can do about that. But, there are things that we should be able to control, how about aspect ratio? With a 'native' setting, we can chose to at least output the data stream in the format it is being delivered to us in. Also, overscan options...

I'm just saying that there are features that many 'boxes' from other companies are starting to implement to be more 'enthusiast' friendly.

As far as the audio, I think DN boxes lack in features when it comes to controlling the audio digital data. My only option on the 722 is DD/PCM/auto, or something like that. But, there are many other options available in other equipment. I'm not sure how much DN is manipulating that data, if any really. I'm just saying that DN could do a better job in providing enthusiast level control.

DN should be building into their latest boxes the ability to let the end user control as much of the data stream as possible to ensure that the end user's display and/or audio equipment can get the most out of the incoming data. DN could still provide an 'AUTO' setting for people not interested in a more detailed control set.

George

Also, I agree that DN does way too much manipulation of the signal even before it hits our boxes. I believe that DN should not be altering the feed that they are provided, but allow the end user that control through their boxes. I'm not very optimistic though as my 12 year history with DN as proven at least one thing to me, DN is definitely not very interested in catering to customers that do not belong to their core customer profile.

I think that a shortcoming of Charlie's 'vision' for his company. The advancement/implementation of cutting edge technology can be both an attraction to the video/audio enthusiast (and they do drive innovation for all of us) and a sexy 'soundbite' as well. The more attention that is directed at just what is possible in providing an exemplary audio/video 'home theater experience', the better off the entire industry and the end user will be in the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)