Questions For First Time FTA Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For driving my DG380, I was not happy with the MicroHD. It didn't seem to have the current output to drive the motor properly. This is my subjective view and you may have different results. I would go with the Amiko if I were to get a new receiver today.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks for the info, Bongu. I will go ahead and get the Amiko when I'm ready to purchase. :)

I don't mean do down play the MicroHD. It is a good receiver and has great picture quality. It would make a great second receiver if you plan on a 2 room setup. I love mine, but just won't use it as a dish mover.

Okay. I may end up getting one as a second receiver down the road. I appreciate the info.
Sounds like your doing ok! I was in the same boat that your in now about 4 yrs ago.I started out with a motorized ku package deal from Sadoun and did mount mine on my garage roof! see Pic.If your doing this alone be prepared for frequent trips to the roof until dish and motor are correctly aligned :(..When you get that first satellite station it will seem well worth it!i know it was for me :clapping.I got hooked quick and shortly expanded to a 6ft cband motorized system for my back deck !Im one of those who couldn't go with a larger dish without breaking the peace;). Dont let those who say you should have a 10 footer or bigger scare you off! With a 6 footer you will get plenty of c band stations.DO your homework on FTA system setups and what you don't understand a great crowd here will be most happy to help.View attachment 98242
Well, unfortunately it looks as if I may have to end up doing a roof install. I used a satellite finder app on my smartphone called Satellite AR, and according to the app, in order to mount the satellite on a ground pole I would have to be about 6 feet or more away from the house in order to get a clear line-of-sight (which is facing the house). That is a little too far away from the house, at least for my wife. :) Does anyone have any suggestions on something else I could do that may avoid having to do a roof mount?

Stanleyjohn, would you be able to give me some more details on your motorized roof install? What mount, tools, and components did you use? How did you end up running the cable from the dish into the house? Was it really hard to get your mount perfectly plumb? I am planning on getting the Geosatpro 36" dish and the STAB HH90 motor.

Thanks in advance!

I bought the 3 ft tripod and 1.66" Galvanized Pipe online and mounted it to the roof using lag bolts.For a motorized ku system you only need to run one cable (RG6) which carries both the signal from the dish LNB and the motors power.I have a 36" dish and suggest getting a good quality tripod and a little wider pole than what I got because for me I had to reinforce mine alittle to prevent alittle horizontal play with dish in strong winds.Getting the pole plumb wasn't that hard using a good level and adjusting the top and lower tripod screws.I drilled a small hole on top of the roof to bring my cable into the garage than ran it to house wall on my 2nd floor drilling a hole there which brought o into my 2nd floor closet.Then from there into my bedroom where I have the receiver set up.Setting up the dish angle for the motor to track the Satellite arc wasn't that hard but finding my true south satellite and zooming in on that took some time for me.Do some homework and read up here on how to align the dish with your true south satellite! I did and it was well worth it plus we all can help u you out when in a jam.My wife was very little help in this project! it was all up to me! but that's ok.PS if you do put it in the same spot as the other dish then I think but not sure they used RG6 cable and you will be all set there making it a easier job.

I bought the 3 ft tripod and 1.66" Galvanized Pipe online and mounted it to the roof using lag bolts.For a motorized ku system you only need to run one cable (RG6) which carries both the signal from the dish LNB and the motors power.I have a 36" dish and suggest getting a good quality tripod and a little wider pole than what I got because for me I had to reinforce mine alittle to prevent alittle horizontal play with dish in strong winds.Getting the pole plumb wasn't that hard using a good level and adjusting the top and lower tripod screws.I drilled a small hole on top of the roof to bring my cable into the garage than ran it to house wall on my 2nd floor drilling a hole there which brought o into my 2nd floor closet.Then from there into my bedroom where I have the receiver set up.Setting up the dish angle for the motor to track the Satellite arc wasn't that hard but finding my true south satellite and zooming in on that took some time for me.Do some homework and read up here on how to align the dish with your true south satellite! I did and it was well worth it plus we all can help u you out when in a jam.My wife was very little help in this project! it was all up to me! but that's ok.PS if you do put it in the same spot as the other dish then I think but not sure they used RG6 cable and you will be all set there making it a easier job.
Thanks for the info. I will do a little research and see what I can find regarding a tripod and pole and then run it by you guys to see what you think. I'm thinking that putting it where the old dish was might be a good idea. I wouldn't be able to use anything that's existing currently, other than the cables, right?

The tall J-post and support legs that are provided with the GEOSATpro 90cm should be fine for mounting the motor and 90cm. I have mount dozens of motors on included the GEOSATpro mount. No need to buy a tripod mount.

Okay, sounds great! Is $60 including shipping a good price for the STAB HH90 motor?

If you get a j mount make sure its tall enough so the dish wont bottom out to the roof when you use the motor to go to the low elevation satellites.When I mounted my tripod I made the mistake of mounting the motor and dish to low on the pole causing the dish to bottom out on the roof at the low angle satellites.

Last edited:
How tall do you think the J mount needs to be?

How tall do you think the J mount needs to be?

No simple answer... Depends on the pitch of the roof. The angle the pitch is facing. The direction the j-tube is installed in the footer. How high the motor is mounted on the j-tube. The motor elevation angle based on your latitude. The dish elevation setting for the declination based on your latitude.

I would assemble the mast on the ground to get an idea of the best way to assemble to get the reach and height for the motor and dish in the install location. For my location, the dish sits about 5 inches lower when mounted on this motor.

The GEOSATpro 90cm has a potential vertical tube height of 27" if assembling for height and 24" if assembling for reach. This is assembled for vertical reach with the "J" angle at the bottom.
PostTripod.jpg

This image shows how much drop a typical HH motor creates to the dish height.
IMG_1571.JPG

Both dishes are GEOSATpro 90cm. The dish on the left is fixed mounted on a 36" post, the dish on the right is motorized on a 36" post (4" from top of post).
IMG_1564.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry I was incorrect in my last post! My dish didn't bottom out unto the roof but did hit the lower tripod legs when I moved my dish to the extreme left and right lower satellites. I did put my dish and motor higher on the pole to solve that problem.The j pole may still be ok with your set up but make sure of clearance to the bottom when motor drives dish to left and right extremes.Heres a pic of mine when I had it to low on the pole and after correction.PS My dish is same size as the one your getting.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 119
Wow, so....I gotta ask, do I need one of the above mentioned motors? and if yes-where can I acquire for $60 :)

Wow, so....I gotta ask, do I need one of the above mentioned motors? and if yes-where can I acquire for $60 :)
I was able to get my motor STAB HH90 through eBay. It should arrive next week (ships from Canada). :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts