Questions on Hopper with sling and Dish Anywhere

fhipper

Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
I have a couple of clarification questions for the latest generation hopper with built in sling and the Dish Anywhere app for the iPhone/iPad. Presently we use a 622 receiver which has worked well for us for several years. I have the TV 2 SD feed from the 622 connected to a small HD TV in my computer room that I watch only once or twice a month. I don’t watch this second TV enough to justify the monthly rental cost of a Joey. We don’t record a lot of shows or need a lot of timers. To get around the Hopper not having a second dedicated feed like the 622 and still be able to occasionally watch Dish programming on the computer room TV will the follow setup work?

Upgrade the 622 to a hopper with built in sling. Connect a Apple TV box to the computer room TV. With the Dish Anywhere app watch live or recorded TV from the hopper on the iPhone/iPad. Then use the mirroring feature of the iPhone/iPad to project the show being watched to the computer room TV?

Am I correct that the Dish Anywhere app will allow watching live and/or recorded TV that is playing on the Hopper without restrictions?

Also, while I’m at home on the same wireless network, does the Hopper show being slung to the Dish Anywhere app on my iPhone/iPad go over my internal wireless network only or does it first have to go out and come back over the Internet?

If the above scenario works will I be able to watch what I want using the Dish Anywhere app at the same time that my wife watches her shows on the primary TV connected to the Hopper?

Thank you.

To me, your making things complicated. Just use DA on your computer. No need fo go through the Ipad/phone or Apple TV. With three tuers in the HWS, yes you can use DA while the wife is watching tv. The only thing that DA won't do is watching shows that are on the ehd.

To me, your making things complicated. Just use DA on your computer. No need fo go through the Ipad/phone or Apple TV. With three tuers in the HWS, yes you can use DA while the wife is watching tv. The only thing that DA won't do is watching shows that are on the ehd.

You are correct that would be an easier alternative for my computer room and I thank you for the suggestion. I'm curious if my proposed setup would work effectively as I have another occasionally used TV in our bedroom that might be a better candidate for the iPad mirroring?

I have an Iview tablet (Android) that has amini or micro hdmi port. I got a cable from Monoprice that has a standard hdmi plug on one end and the correct size on the other. When we travel I can use that tablet to connect to the hdmi in on a tv and use DA to stream from one of my HWS's. Very helpful when we are at my wife's vacation house which has Comcast cable or when we are staying in a motel.

Also, while I’m at home on the same wireless network, does the Hopper show being slung to the Dish Anywhere app on my iPhone/iPad go over my internal wireless network only or does it first have to go out and come back over the Internet?
When the Hopper & receiving device are on the same network, then no (or very little) broadband data is used. However, when they're on different networks, then lots of data is used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)