Quick and Easy

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Starting a new thread for quick and easy recipes...

Frito / Tortilla Pie

Frito's or Tostito's or any Tortilla chips
1 can ranch style beans
1 can wolf Chile no beans
1 pound lean hamburger
cheese
Optional: Diced green chile's and onion(add to hamburger meat when cooking)

Brown the hamburger meat, drain then add the beans and Chile... heat until almost boiling.
In a pan put one layer of chips down and pour half of the mixture over the chips then put one more layer down and pour the rest over the chips.
Place sliced or grated cheese on top and put in the oven or microwave and heat until the cheese melts... let sit for about 10 minutes and chow down!

The wife and I just purchased a new wall oven over the weekend. Our current one is close to 20 years old and has definitely got it's use over the years. The new oven doesn't arrive until Saturday, so I wanted to do one last sendoff in the old oven before retiring it for good.......

For this bid farewell, I will be doing a classic Baked Ziti.

For this creation, I will be following none other than The Food Network's own Italian expert, Giada De Laurentiis:

1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup grated Romano
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef
All-purpose flour, for dredging
1 pound ziti
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 cups tomato sauce
3 cups whole milk ricotta
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, eggs, milk, 1/2 cup of the Romano and the parsley, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef and gently combine, being careful not to overwork the meat. Shape into bite-size meatballs. Roll each meatball in flour to coat, shaking off excess.

In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain pasta in a colander and set aside. If not using immediately, cover top with plastic wrap so that pasta does not dry out. Do not rinse pasta with water since you want to retain the pasta's natural starches so that the sauce will cling to the ziti.

In a large skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. When almost smoking, add meatballs in batches and without moving or turning the meat, allow it to brown for about 3 minutes. Turn meatballs and brown other side. Continue to cook until all sides are golden brown. Remove meatballs to a plate.
In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce and ricotta and mix well. Add the cooked ziti and meatballs and toss gently.

In a large greased baking dish, pour in pasta mixture. Sprinkle the mozzarella, Parmesan, and remaining Romano all over the top. Dot with the butter. Place baking dish on top of baking sheet covered with aluminum foil to collect any drippings from the dish. Bake until top is golden brown and bubbly, about 30 to 40 minutes.

It didn't quite come out right for me. Do you think you could send Giada over to ...... ;)

S.O.S.
Brown 1 lb. lean hamburger meat, in another pan at same time add a little shortening (I know ;)) heat, then add a little bit of flour and brown, then add milk to make gravy... stir until it starts to thicken then mix the hamburger meat in and serve over bread...

S.O.S. v1

Brown 1 lb. lean hamburger meat with an 8 oz. can of sliced mushrooms added... add a can of mushroom soup and maybe a 1/4 cup of milk or water and heat till it is close to boiling... then serve.

Slop Supreme!

I was in Upstate NY this spring and went to a small, hole-in-the-wall diner for breakfast called "Betty's". I was persuaded to get their signature dish titled: "Slop Supreme"!

Since then, I just can't stop thinking about that meal or that name! To die for I tell ya! Plus, it's great hangover food. I'm going to try and replicate it this weekend at home.

What it is:

Open faced biscuits topped with hash-browns, sunny side up eggs and smothered with sausage gravy. Very sloppy, but very yummy!

Quick Summer Dessert

Made a quick grilled peach cobbler w/ vanilla ice cream for dessert last night.

I got the recipe from an old Bobby Flay episode and recreated by memory. The best thing was that I had everything to make this at home....

6 peaches (halved and pitted)
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
6 TBS Brown Sugar
1 TSP Ground Cinnamon
1/2 cup Granola
Vanilla Ice Cream
Carmel Sauce

Directions:

Grill the peach halves flesh side down for apx. 5 minutes over medium heat, then turn and grill the skin side for another 3-4 minutes.

Melt the butter. Add the Brown Sugar and Cinnamon to the melted butter.

Slice the grilled peaches into bite size pieces and throw into a small mixing bowl. Add half of the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon mixture and toss the peaches.

Transfer the peaches to a small baking dish. (ex: Corningware). Top with the granola and pour the remaining butter mixture over top.

Bake or throw the dish back on the grill for another 15 minutes to crisp up the granola.

Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle warm Carmel sauce on top for each serving.

For quick and easy, I have habit of stirring just about anything into a pot of pasta-roni...lol. Seriously! You just bring your water to a boil as indicated on the directions...drop in whatever your stiring into it, let it come to a boil again and cook for the remainder of the time as directed...

Some combinations that have turned out REALLY good are...

Fettucine Alfredo, with frozen tail-off-shrimp, frozen peas.

Natures Way Mushrooms in Sauce with either diced cooked ham, chicken or turkey, and some frozen mixed veggies.

Natures Way Olive Oil and Italian Herb with frozen tail-off shrimp like before, and some frozen brocolli florets (frozen mixed italian veggies are nice too)

I threw a can of tuna in the shells and white cheddar with surprising results. Not to mention a hotdog or two sliced up into the four-cheese corkscrew pasta-roni.

You can pretty much get away with frozen tail-off shrimp and frozen peas in any of the italian-style flavors. The diced ham/turkey/or chicken usually works with others. Theres a lot of room for creativity here, and for high-blood pressure since your sodium intake may be on the high-side here... :p

So anyway, yes...I do keep many frozen veggies and pasta-ronis on hand for my lazy days...lol. I won't call it gourmet by any means, but it will get you through an evening after getting stuck working late or something. ;)

Green Chile Spaghetti:

8 oz. Thin Spaghetti
1 lb. Lean Hamburger meat
1 6 oz. can mushrooms
1 7 oz. can Herdez Hot Salsa Casera
2 Hatch Green Chiles diced
Cook spaghetti then add the hamburger meat that you added mushrooms and the green chiles to...

Last edited:
Starting a new thread for quick and easy recipes...

Frito / Tortilla Pie

Frito's or Tostito's or any Tortilla chips
1 can ranch style beans
1 can wolf Chile no beans
1 pound lean hamburger
cheese
Optional: Diced green chile's and onion(add to hamburger meat when cooking)

Brown the hamburger meat, drain then add the beans and Chile... heat until almost boiling.
In a pan put one layer of chips down and pour half of the mixture over the chips then put one more layer down and pour the rest over the chips.
Place sliced or grated cheese on top and put in the oven or microwave and heat until the cheese melts... let sit for about 10 minutes and chow down!
Using Mission Chips... cooking for lunch...

Corn Dip

Here's a great dip.
2 cans Mexicorn
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces Mayo
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes/chiles heat value of your choice.
one bunch green onions chopped.
Mix all ingredients.
Enjoy with tortilla chips or my favorite Fritos scoops.

Might be a mistake but...
2 Porterhouse Steaks about 5/8" thick
1 - 7 oz. Can Tomato sauce
1 - 7 oz. Can sliced Mushrooms
Onion Flakes & my Rub

Poured slight amount of sauce in the bottom of my small Rival Crockpot, sprinkled rub on both steaks and layered crossways in crockpot (small pot) pouring tomato sauce over and sprinkling rub and onion flakes over sauce and added mushrooms... put in at 1:30 pm my time... will check about 6:30...

Green Chile Spaghetti:

8 oz. Thin Spaghetti
1 lb. Lean Hamburger meat
1 6 oz. can mushrooms
1 7 oz. can Herdez Hot Salsa Casera
2 Hatch Green Chiles diced
Cook spaghetti then add the hamburger meat that you added mushrooms and the green chiles to...

Ya know, I made this the other evening and it was quite delicious. I did make a few changes, The wife is not big on mushrooms although I love them so I left them out. I added about a half cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Next time around I'm going to add a can of sliced black olives.

On another note, Hatch chiles are not that easily found in Northern California but I found them at Trader Joe's in 4 oz cans. Much better than the Ortega's that I have been using since time immemorial....

Onion Flakes & my Rub

Poured slight amount of sauce in the bottom of my small Rival Crockpot, sprinkled rub on both steaks and layered crossways in crockpot (small pot) pouring tomato sauce over and sprinkling rub and onion flakes over sauce and added mushrooms... put in at 1:30 pm my time... will check about 6:30...
Not a mistake... pulled at 6:30 excellent...served over wheat bread...

Last edited:
Onion Flakes & my Rub

This sounds delicious...and it looks easy...I may have to call you out on the 'quick' part though! :D

Anyways, I did do something similiar with a top round steak (inexpensive, but tough unless prepared right). I had braised it for about 3 hours in a dutch oven with 1 7 oz. can of tomato sauce, and and a little more than half a cup of red wine. I started by browning the steak in olive oil and garlic directly in the dutch oven on the stovetop, then poured in the tomato sauce and red wine before sticking the whole thing in the oven. I served if over linguine pasta, sliced thin using the braising base as a sauce...

I'm telling you, it may seem like an unconventional way to make a pasta dish...but that was GOOD!

True... but quick prep, put it in the pot and forget about it for awhile... ;) I thought the steak would be tough, but it fell apart like a roast... might try this with a small roast next... the rub (found in the Orion thread last post by me) made the taste and gave it a bite...maybe real mushrooms and onions etc...

Onion Flakes & my Rub

*shakes head over 2 porterhouses going into a crockpot* :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)