Quick question on Joey

Kmh97

Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Wisconsin
I am trying to hook up two TV's to one Joey and the cable I have is a Component with the red, green blue plugs. One tv is hooked with HDMI. The back of Joey only has red, white and yellow ports, is it possible to hook the other tv with the red, green, blue plugs? I have it hooked up now but the picture is black and white. Or do I need to just go buy a Composite cord? Or is there an adapter that would plug into the back of Joey to change red, white, yellow to red, green blue?

Joey's don't have component outputs so you can only hook up the composite (yellow,white,red) from the Joey to the composite (yellow,white,red) on the TV and get a standard definition picture on the second TV.

No, the red/white are audio only, while the yellow is video. In a component cable, the red/green/blue are all video.

Use one of these.
The HDMI splitter will make both TV's have high def, or does it make both pictures lower quality? I have to go about 50' from the Joey to the tv in the family room.

Getting a 50' HDMI cable of good quality (without paying a lot) is your first problem. Running it (hiding it, through walls ??) is your other....

The HDMI splitter will make both TV's have high def, or does it make both pictures lower quality? I have to go about 50' from the Joey to the tv in the family room.
Passive splitters don't work. Garbage. Waste of money. Need I go on?

Active splitters work fine. I've used a couple of these for 2+years of these without issue at 50+ ft runs: Amazon product ASIN B003B4O7NS
Also have installed at several friends. Rock solid.

Getting a 50' HDMI cable of good quality (without paying a lot) is your first problem. Running it (hiding it, through walls ??) is your other....
Walls may be an issue. Cable is pretty cheap. Should be more than $1/ft or so. Last 50 ft cable I bought was $40.

we have drop ceiling tiles in the basement so getting it to and from is not the issue.
Should be pretty easy then.

Just noticed my prior link seems to have been converted into a generic amazon link.

The unit I have is: Amazon product ASIN B007WR0CHU
Probably the same unit Hall posted under a different name, but from Amazon and prime eligible.

Probably the same unit Hall posted under a different name, but from Amazon and prime eligible.
Just looked at the close-up / zoomed-in pictures and I think it's safe to say that yes, they are the same unit ;) Same screws on the side, a small button (light ?) next to the HDMI connection, etc.

Wouldn't it work if he just matched up the colors on both ends? Red to red, green to white, blue to yellow?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Yes his component cables can carry the composite signal, it will just be a SD picture. Sounds like it is already run so he can just make "correct connections" and watch TV

Reactions: JM42
The Joey doesn't have component outputs. If it did, yes, you can use red/white/yellow (composite) cables.
But the equipment doesn't know what color the cable ends are. You can plug red to red, green to white, and blue to yellow in the Joey and the same to the TVs composite input and you will get a fine SD picture. Or, as you say you could do the same, in reverse, on component connections. I've done this as a temporary fix, both ways, in the past.... Works just fine....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)