Rain fade?

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Is it possible with very heavy rain to get rain fade on an outdoor antenna? The signal isn't the strongest but the absolute best I could get it at around 35% outdoors which is weak I know, but it's the sweet spot, trees and such. I didn't hear any lightning but definitely heard the rain. Other channels stronger stayed on. Thanks.

With Ku FTA, as the rain starts, signals might start to pixielate, as rain gets heavier picture locks up, then with heavy rain signal is gone. That's my experience with a 39 inch dish and no obstacles. A light rain or drizzle doesn't seem to interfere with Ku, at least at this location.
Your posting in the OTA forum, Ku satellite isn't used for OTA broadcasts. VHF Lo, VHF HI & UHF are below microwave frequencies so they are much more resistant to rain fade. If you are only getting 35% in good weather you are barely locking onto the digital signal so a slight loss will show up.

Wind and rain blowing trees around can cause UHF signals to ricochet all over the place. This causes multiphase which causes digital TVs to lose signal.

And yes, heavy rain will attenuate UHF signals especially. Not a lot, but enough that if you are on the border, you will lose signal in heavy rain.