Rain*X on your dish and LNB ?

A ways back I asked about a bigger dish to help rain fade. I'm now wondering where you would find such a beasty? I have a BUD. Is there some way to use that? This is of course for Dish programming. Or is there a company that makes extra large dishes for like HI or AK?

Hawaii only needs a 30” dish. Alaska uses 4 & 6 foot dishes for Dish Network

Sure you can use a BUD. Is it solid or mesh? If its mesh, make sure a pencil can’t go through the holes or it won’t work.

signal amplifier?

maybe a dumb comment, but i can't believe with all the technology we have today, it's not possibly to somehow amplify the incoming signal to give us another 10-20 points of strength. satellite signal amplifiers are not possible?

brg606 said:
maybe a dumb comment, but i can't believe with all the technology we have today, it's not possibly to somehow amplify the incoming signal to give us another 10-20 points of strength. satellite signal amplifiers are not possible?
Remember, these are very weak signals that are being received by a very sensitive Low Noise Block.

The problem is not really signal strength but signal/noise ratio. If you amplify a signal that has a S/N ratio that is too low, you are also amplifying the noise.

It's like listening to someone in a crowded room. If he speaks to softly, no amount of amplification by a hearing aid will let you understand what he says.

I dont have a specific post but I know people in Puerto Rico use 6 foot dishes for Dish Network due to the signal being not the best.

Hello guys. I am a total noob and this is my first post here. I am on insight cable right now am thinking about moving to dish network since they offer more HD channels. I keep hearing a lot of people complaining about the rain and snow making the satellite unwatchable. Is this still true? I've never watched a dish channel while it is raining or snowing. Also, how is the HD quality ? Is it good ?
Excuse my stupid questions , I just didn't want to make the switch and regret it.
Thank you

Hello guys. I am a total noob and this is my first post here. I am on insight cable right now am thinking about moving to dish network since they offer more HD channels. I keep hearing a lot of people complaining about the rain and snow making the satellite unwatchable. Is this still true? I've never watched a dish channel while it is raining or snowing. Also, how is the HD quality ? Is it good ?
Excuse my stupid questions , I just didn't want to make the switch and regret it.
Thank you

Assuming a proper installation, and peak, rain fade is fairly rare, and when it does occur, it is more oft short-lived, comcast went out more often and for longer periods than D* ever did for me and mine, I imagine E* is the at least the same, as for snow, that would depend on where you are (angle of the dish can act as a catcher for snow), and the amount of snow, even if I knew both, I could not tell you, does not snow where I live, but someone will be along that can tell you.

And, welcome to Satguys.

If you apply something to the surface of the dish that reduces water sheeting and encourages beading and water runoff it could marginally help with rain fade.

After all, water in the sky or water on the dish, they all reduce signal to the LNB that is what rain fade is reduction of signal to the LNB by water liquid water somewhere between the satellite and the LNB.

Thank you

I had Insight before switching to Dish. Insight outages would last for days sometimes. Got tired of it. Lost my BB connection at the same time. If you do have an outage due to weather it only happens when a very strong front comes through and is very rare. Only lasts about 5 minutes. As others have said... If the storm is that strong you should be in the basement anyway.

Anyone ever try Scotchgard? I've seen water (sweat) ejected from military uniforms in the FL heat during inspections and those eternal change-of-command ceremonies. It's sprayed heavily on the INSIDE of the uniforms. The uniforms never appear with sweat spotting.