Random DVR Recordings from 2016 Came Back

jayiw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I noticed the oddest thing on my DVR this morning. Some random DVR recordings came back from May 2016. They are marked as new but the progress bar shows them as watched and yes we definitely watched them at the time. They have long since been deleted 8 years ago but here they are out of nowhere. It doesn't show anything of them being re-recorded and I know they were not regardless. It's just so weird. Almost like they were restored from a backup but neither I nor my wife did that (wife wouldn't know how anyway). Has this happened to anyone else?

Same here. I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it. All from May 2016, 11 episodes across 6 shows In all, all showing as already viewed, checked one or two and they were there, not phantoms, and they are in the trash after deleting and they were also watchable when restored. Weird.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So - just where do deleted shows go? Because obviously they can be retrieved.

Most computer file systems don't actually delete files when you tell them to. They simply mark them as deleted so those areas of disk can be reused. But if you never reuse those areas of disk the deleted files can be restored. So they may have just been sitting there in that state for the last 8 years and something in the update restored them to the active file system.

I noticed the oddest thing on my DVR this morning. Some random DVR recordings came back from May 2016. They are marked as new but the progress bar shows them as watched and yes we definitely watched them at the time. They have long since been deleted 8 years ago but here they are out of nowhere. It doesn't show anything of them being re-recorded and I know they were not regardless. It's just so weird. Almost like they were restored from a backup but neither I nor my wife did that (wife wouldn't know how anyway). Has this happened to anyone else?
Zombie Timers returning from the dead... sounds like a new series on AMC. :biggrin2

My wife who's watched General Hospital since she was a kid got a kick out of watching General Hospital from 2016 (again). So I guess it wasn't a bad thing.
A lot of stuff has happened on that show since 2016. My wife and I have been watching it since 2011 after the other 2 soaps went off the air and then off the internet series too.
nancy lee grahn GIF by General Hospital
angry soap opera GIF by General Hospital
200.gif
Kelly Monaco Panic Attack GIF by General Hospital

We're aware of the "issue" - not sure what caused it. Likely something around a feature that captures what you've recorded to potentially restore it via on-demand if you were to RA your receiver - but that is just a guess.

Feel free to delete them and let me know if they don't stay deleted, at least for us they all stay dead :).

Most computer file systems don't actually delete files when you tell them to. They simply mark them as deleted so those areas of disk can be reused. But if you never reuse those areas of disk the deleted files can be restored. So they may have just been sitting there in that state for the last 8 years and something in the update restored them to the active file system.

Yes, but I was more referring to most often the data is broken up and not readily retrievable. It would need third party data recovery software.
My meaning was more if they can be retrieved that easily to be watched, and not broken up, why isn't that an option, much like Tivo for instance.