Raycom & Dish still quareling? -Dispute Settled. channels back 8/9

OTA is nice for those who can get it. I'm too far from both DMA's towers where we live to pick up the signal reliably.

Agreed. That's the case here. Another consideration - although satellite dishes are located all over the area I live, the CC&R's state "outside antennas are prohibited".

BTW, I did a text chat with DISH yesterday morning (7/31) and asked if we were going to lose KGMB and KHNL (Hawaii CBS and NBC). I was assured several times that those stations would not be dropped. I guess technically, they're blocked not dropped!

A kick in the pants on this is that both these stations had horrible signal problems for a bit over 5 months. The signal quality issues were finally resolved just a couple of weeks ago!

To Dirt,please pass this along to Dish.

Thank you for standing up to Raycom Media.Hold out as long as it takes,they should be grateful that Dish carries their channels in the first place.Asking for more money for channels that are free over the air is nothing more than robbing.

As to WBTV,my word whatever will we do without you?Oh yes I almost forgot,we get a great signal over the air,plus we also can receive it via Charter clear qam.

Sorry if this is repetitive because I am sure I can find this here somewhere, but if I get the USB OTA and hook it all up to my Hopper, will the EPG be correct for the station I have lost? Also, how will the DVR functionality work? It doesn't work with PTAT, right? I'm only worried about Parks and Rec, and that doesn't start until Sept 26, so I'm not too worried.

Here is a shot of mine:

IMG_20130801_150708_455_zpsd3537511.jpg

I pretty much record all my local stuff off OTA.

Agreed. That's the case here. Another consideration - although satellite dishes are located all over the area I live, the CC&R's state "outside antennas are prohibited".

This is illegal, do some searches for OTARD and FCC rules on antenna restrictions.

Indeed. All those HOA antenna restrictions were invalidated by the FCC & courts many years ago. They are not enforceable.

Sorry if this is repetitive because I am sure I can find this here somewhere, but if I get the USB OTA and hook it all up to my Hopper, will the EPG be correct for the station I have lost? Also, how will the DVR functionality work? It doesn't work with PTAT, right? I'm only worried about Parks and Rec, and that doesn't start until Sept 26, so I'm not too worried.

Actually the guide data is usually pulled when the station is pulled, so you would have to set a manual timer for the ota channel.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

-That's the whole problem and where I respectfully disagree with sam_gordon. Receiving the affiliates is supposed to be free. If the carriers were the only ones benefiting from carrying the locals I would have to agree there should be some compensation. But that's far from the case. Especially with the changeover to digital it's even harder to get some locals, and the only way they are being seen is because of Satellite or Cable. I have no problem with an agreement the carrier can not charge over X amount because at this time it appears like DISH and DIRECT are not charging much over what it costs them. And beyond that, end all disputes over carriage. Make the carriers carry the locals (Which in effect they must now) and make the locals allow it's carriage. (If both agree a channel won't be carried that's ok too)
I agree it's a symbiotic relationship between the sat/cablecos and the channel owners. They both benefit. Sat/cablecos get more subscribers by having the locals, locals get some more viewers. But please, let's not pretend if cable & satcos went away there would be 0 viewers for OTA.

I also agree the digital changeover degraded OTA reception for some people. BUT, the majority of viewers (by far... I'm not talking 51% here) ARE technically able to get OTA reception. And no, they don't need 60 foot towers to do so. :p Are there viewers who MUST have satellite or cable to get their locals? Yes. But I think they are WAY in the minority.

The reps at Dish are not smart when it comes to OTA stuff. When we lost one of our local channels last year Dish reps were telling customers they could get the channel with an OTA module and they would ship them one. Some people had to pay for them and some got them for free. Sounds like a good deal except they didn't tell the customers that they needed an antenna hooked up to that module. Brilliant!

I still say the problem is with the program guide. Sure, I can go to the PC and download the tv station schedule (I lost an ABC affiliate) but then I would have to do a manual timer to record to my DVR rather than a one click record. I don't care about the dish locals because our market is too small for them ever to give us HD so my antenna takes care of that. It is the program guide that I want.

Actually the guide data is usually pulled when the station is pulled, so you would have to set a manual timer for the ota channel.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Which is extremely petty of them to do. Dish has a dispute with station, yet they go out of their way to screw their customer.

Which is extremely petty of them to do. Dish has a dispute with station, yet they go out of their way to screw their customer.
Or is the guide data part of the contract also?

Here's another thought... stations must (I'm pretty sure) provide program data along with their OTA signal. It's part of the PSIP information. I wish Dish would extract the PSIP info if guide data isn't available. Granted, some station put out more PSIP information than others, but that's back on the stations. The information is in your receiver (assuming you have OTA reception). Dish just won't use it.

Not real sure how all this works, but can't they put up different (non Raycom owned) networks in their place so we don't miss our shows on those networks? Kind of like they did when they had the dispute with The Weather Channel.

i posted my thoughts on this dispute on DBSTalk so i'll copy and paste it here and put it in a quote bubble.

to me, most of these disputes over local stations are being caused by sports greed, which is where sports get greedy with fees to broadcast a sporting a event on a network and the network in turns does the same to get back some lost money by asking their non-owned and operated affiliates to ask for an increase in their carriage fees on the new contract after the old one expires. same with the network's owned and operated stations, they want that increase in fees too. so blame sports for most of the local channels disputes as sporting events get more and more expensive for their rights. and you wonder why ESPN is so expensive.

Not real sure how all this works, but can't they put up different (non Raycom owned) networks in their place so we don't miss our shows on those networks? Kind of like they did when they had the dispute with The Weather Channel.

Nope that is illegal.Thanks to the FCC pushed by broadcasters I might add.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)