Raycom Media retrans dispute.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Oh man, coming outta the woodworks now. I'm always amazed how Direct and Dish posse's run around this forum, and the other one. Sheesh.

FWIW, in my market Time Warner customers are about to lose our local ABC and My Network TV stations due to a retrans dispute with Sinclair.

It does happen to everybody.

It's going to be the norm from here on out, everyone might as well get used to it, no matter who you sub with. All this bouncing around, pointing and snickering when it happens to the "other" guy, is on a kindercare level.

Last edited:
And how's that a problem?

It's a problem when people run in groups between forums to build up their defense in discussions that do not pertain to them. Kinda like how you hate Directv subs coming into the Dish forum in groups, yet you are doing the same thing.....

Get it? Got it? Good. Also, see my quote/reply to uncrules and maybe try and learn from it.

What? Duh I don't understand what I can't read. The person that seems to be having the really big problem is Y-O-U. Mods why don't you go ahead and close this thread. No one is saying anything about the subject I posted to start with.

Last edited:
You know 2010 has been a disastorious year for retransmission disputes. I know the economy is not good. But retransmission rules have been in place since 1992, and haven't changed. Broadcasters blacking-out network affiliated signals on your provider are too common. The rules harm the consumer. I think it's a curse. Sorry I had to say this.

Sign the petition to your lawmakers at American Television Alliance | A Voice For The TV Viewer today.

Raycom vs. DIRECTV

I'm watching the Cotton Bowl right now & noticed a scrawl across the top of the screen about DIRECTV,so I went to the station's(WFXG Fox 54,Augusta,GA) website & found this notice,
"Important notice for DirecTV subscribers

DirecTV has refused Raycom's offer to enter into a contract that would allow continued carriage of this station through June 2014. Raycom and DirecTV continue negotiations for carriage rights of this station on the DirecTV service."

My first response was,"who's Raycom?" Afterwards,I really couldn't care less. Fox 54 can't even put out a decent OTA signal,not even for those with outdoor antennas. Thank God for IviTV. I'm with DIRECTV on this one.

DirecTV has refused Raycom's offer to enter into a contract that would allow continued carriage of this station through June 2014. Raycom and DirecTV continue negotiations for carriage rights of this station on the DirecTV service."

Translation: Raycom is trying to extort DirecTV for more money causing your monthly bill to go up even more.
DirectTV refuses to pay extra for so Raycom is threatening to pull the channel from DirecTV.

Eventually Raycom will cave though as they realize advertisers start pulling their ads because they are now reaching half as many people. LOL

Translation: Raycom is trying to extort DirecTV for more money causing your monthly bill to go up even more.
DirectTV refuses to pay extra for so Raycom is threatening to pull the channel from DirecTV.

Eventually Raycom will cave though as they realize advertisers start pulling their ads because they are now reaching half as many people. LOL

What is odd is that Raycom doesn't even own my local Fox channel,Southeastern Media Holdings does. Raycom just operates it for them through a shared services agreement(I had to look this crap up).

Raycom runs it. SE Media Holdings (I got money on it) is just a shell company. The other stations owned by SE MEdia are also run by Raycom which has another local in the market. The FCC rule in smaller markets is no one owner can own two of the Big4 in a market. So they do this shell company BS thing to circumvent it
When I lived in Duluth, MN it was the same way. CBS owned by someone but they basically gave the keys to NBC and said "have fun" with it...

But I thought Raycom settled with D* at the end of December??

Raycom runs it. SE Media Holdings (I got money on it) is just a shell company. The other stations owned by SE MEdia are also run by Raycom which has another local in the market. The FCC rule in smaller markets is no one owner can own two of the Big4 in a market. So they do this shell company BS thing to circumvent it
When I lived in Duluth, MN it was the same way. CBS owned by someone but they basically gave the keys to NBC and said "have fun" with it...

Tonight was the first I ever heard of a dispute. I had to look it up on the internet,Raycom is trying to renegotiate an agreement,D* says they can't pull the stations because Raycom gave no notice of a change.
Raycom: DIRECTV Could Lose 40 Local Stations
"Raycom: DIRECTV Could Lose 40 Local Stations
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (January 5, 2011) -- Raycom Media is threatening to force DIRECTV to stop carrying roughly 40 local TV stations in a continuing dispute over a new programming pact.

Raycom-owned stations in several cities, including Tucson and Memphis, have posted notices at their web sites saying the satcaster has refused to sign a new agreement that allows it to carry them. The notice says a signed agreement has been sent to DIRECTV.

"DIRECTV has refused Raycom's offer to enter into a contract that would allow continued carriage of this station through June 2014," the notice says. "If DIRECTV refuses to sign the agreement, however, then our station's signal may no longer be available."

Raycom, which owns roughly 40 local stations, has stated that the current agreement with DIRECTV expired on January 1, suggesting the broadcasting group could pull its local stations at any time if a new pact is not signed.

However, DIRECTV tells the Arizona Daily Star that it will be able to carry the channels regardless of whether a new deal is signed now. The satcaster says the agreement automatically renewed for one year at the end of 2010 unless Raycom notified DIRECTV of its intent to terminate the deal; DIRECTV says it did not receive a notification to terminate.
"We're kind of scratching our heads over here as to why Raycom is trying to scare and confuse viewers in these markets. The channels will remain on and viewers should ignore these games," a DIRECTV spokesman told the newspaper.

He added: "We also don't know why Raycom sent DirecTV a signed contract when both sides have not yet reached an agreement. It may be some sort of silly negotiating tactic, but it doesn't really affect viewers since our agreement doesn't expire until the end of the year and the channels will remain on while we continue to negotiate a contract beyond 2011."

A Raycom spokesman refused to comment, the Arizona Daily Star writes.

The companies are apparently fighting over how much DIRECTV should pay for the right to carry the stations. To see a list of Raycom-owned local TV stations, click here."

Last I knew, they had agreements, but D* has yet to sign them, I'm thinking each market is negotiated separately ...

Latest I have on my local is that at the end of Dec. they had an agreement and it was a case of D* signing it.
Tonight it says D* has refused the agreement, but they will keep the stations on air and work to come to another agreement.

Merged the threads, sucks that there must not be a new contract like Directv said. Raycom has alot of stations and they are all over the country.

That would tend to make me think they don't have too much in their favor; demands nor public support for their demands.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)