Request for tablet suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
My brother & I are looking to set our dad up with a tablet to do the following:

•Get him on facebook so he can see pictures of his grandkids and his great-granddaughter
•Get email
•Do some web browsing
•Occasionally print, so it has to be air print capable
•Dad won't be typing on screen anytime soon, so it has to accept an external keyboard
•He doesn't have internet into his house and only has a basic cell phone—the tablet will have to have a cellular radio

He will never be and won't move it around a lot, so I don't think he needs anything really high-end. I'm sure he can handle the learning curve, be it iOS or Android. What are your suggestions?

Thanks for your constructive input.

Sounds like he won't need an HDMI connection or an SD card, so I would say a Nexus. If Tmobile is strong at his house go with that Nexus.

If your dad just wants basic functionality for a tablet as described by you I would recommend an iPad. It will accept a bluetooth keyboard.

Jason:

So will Android. They also accept bluetooth mice and other pointing devices just as iPad should. They both have implemented the HID specification for Bluetooth which handles keyboard and pointing devices.

I was hoping there was a tablet I was missing besides the Note and the iPad that did cellular data but was more of a budget tab. He doesn't need top end, but a cellular radio will make it better for him. Anybody tried a Motorola Xyboard? It's a little bit cheaper.

I was hoping there was a tablet I was missing besides the Note and the iPad that did cellular data but was more of a budget tab. He doesn't need top end, but a cellular radio will make it better for him. Anybody tried a Motorola Xyboard? It's a little bit cheaper.

Is he going to be wary of cellular data usage? I'd be concerned about that sneaking up on him if he isn't as observant about his data usage vs his data plan.

Last edited:
How computer savvy is your dad? My parents are split. Dad likes the iPad, mom likes the Kindle Fire HD. They both now read books on their tablets and the local library has a checkout program for the tablets.

Also if he gets a wifi tablet you could get a mifi device. If you are covered by Virgin mobile's network (Sprint) http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband-plans/broadband-2-go/overview/

you could set him up with unlimited 4G if it is in your area (or perhaps $35 for 2GB 3G). He could still take it with him, but also gives you the flexibility of having up to 5 devices.

I think the Kindle Fire is AT&T only. Is that correct? AT&T is not an option in rural Iowa. If not, I'd look pretty hard at it. Dad is not great with tech, but that's a choice not related to his abilities. He's exhibited a desire to pick up the skills and I'm confident that he can.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think the Kindle Fire is AT&T only. Is that correct? AT&T is not an option in rural Iowa. If not, I'd look pretty hard at it. Dad is not great with tech, but that's a choice not related to his abilities. He's exhibited a desire to pick up the skills and I'm confident that he can.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yeah unless there is something new, yes only at&t. Same thing here I need it to be Verizon. If it wasn't for that the Kindle Fire HD would be your best bet for him. I have one but the one without a cellular radio. If they did Verizon I would have gotten it. I am around WiFi a lot, but it would be nice to have 4G, when I take it out and about.

Initially I bought an acer, Ipad and Galaxy2 and tried them all over the weekend. Comfort wise Ipad was far better. The Acer, in tech terms, was a superior tablet: USB in, HDMI out, Full 1080p resolution, faster processor and more storage BUT the Ipad was very user friendly that I chose the Ipad for comfort and ease of use.

Cheers, K

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts