Review: WS International NS741 C/Ku LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I took a few minutes this afternoon after the torrential rains stopped and did a "quickie" A/B test on that NS741s LNBF. Since that NS741s was already in the scaler ring on my 7.5 foot SAMI dish I took readings on that one first on 4 different Ku satellites between 125w and 72w. Using my Openbox S9 receiver I recorded Q readings on specific transponders on each satellite. Then swapped out to the DMX741s and went to those same satellites and transponders and compared readings I had taken earlier with what I was getting then. What I found was that the NS741s actually checked a couple of Q points BETTER than that DMX741s did! Not enough to get excited about, ie, about 2 points is all but it was better just the same. If memory serves, ke4est had about the same performance numbers from the Cband side of that one he had tested a few months back so overall the NS741s is a keeper.

I didn't take the time to do any scans to see if more TPs would be located with the NS model as I didn't have time to get THAT involved in testing it.

Another positive note is that since the DMX741 LNBFs are no longer in production this NS will fill that void for those of us that use this type of LNBF in our BUD systems.

Negative points have already been mentioned, ie, they're a little too cheaply built for my liking but they work just the same. Maybe a nicer built one will come along some time in the future. I'm also not fond of having the external 22Hz switch to deal with but as was mentioned before, it does work. On my systems I have Cband ribbon cable runs so I just use those two coax cables outside and have that 22Hz switch inside at the Vbox and out of sight.

Final note, now that the testing is done and WSI is correcting the labelling problem they had I'm looking forward to seeing the price come down to something in the $25/ $30 range, and that will be a LARGE PLUS.
;)

Yep that is what I found on the C-band side so very very good to hear this.

i did a major disk move this week. moved the 6' sadoun to a 10' in cement and level. had a geopro cband lnb and it was giving me some problems like having the h and v with the same frequency coming up so went back to my old dmx741. well, that gave me bigger problems until i found out the h was dead on it on the c band. so changed to a c band ws lnb that wallyhts sent me a while back and it is working ok now. charlie

I have a NS741U (Universal) @ Intelsat 21, The band C side work fine, but KU not. How to check if the lnb was a mislabel? How to make a test before contact the warranty? Thanks.
I use a Satlink ws-6906 to make the test.

I have a NS741U (Universal) @ Intelsat 21, The band C side work fine, but KU not. How to check if the lnb was a mislabel? How to make a test before contact the warranty? Thanks.
I use a Satlink ws-6906 to make the test.

Set your receiver for a standard LNBF with a LO Freq. of 10750. Then see if it will work on Ku. It will not scan the Lower Frequencies on that bird but you will know the LNBF is working, it is just a standard instead of a Universal.

Set your receiver for a standard LNBF with a LO Freq. of 10750. Then see if it will work on Ku. It will not scan the Lower Frequencies on that bird but you will know the LNBF is working, it is just a standard instead of a Universal.
If you know, the Satlink ws-6906 have this option? (set L.O. freq.)

Even though this thread is a year old decided to add to it. Just ordered a Ns741u and installed it and the "C" band worked not the "KU" band yet. Tried to contact WS international but all the telephone #s have been disconnected for technical support. I think they are out of business in the USA. I think I made a mistake buying a universal LNB as I have always used standard.
It is on a 6' dish.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Yes they have been out of business for about 6 months.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
The NS model uses an external 22Hz switch for Ku? You do have that installed, right?

I just checked and their website is still up? There's been no "official" notice posted here that they have gone out of business?

I am running 2 wires 1 for C and 1 Ku . Why do I need 22k for KU ? I guess the web site will stay up until hosting runs out. Seller will not communicate so filed for a refund through ebay.

I am running 2 wires 1 for C and 1 Ku . Why do I need 22k for KU ? I guess the web site will stay up until hosting runs out. Seller will not communicate so filed for a refund through ebay.
I think the 22k is used to tell the 741 universal to switch between the high band portion (11.7-12.2) of the ku band and the low band portion (10.7-11.7) of the ku band. I don't have this model so I could be wrong.

I am running 2 wires 1 for C and 1 Ku . Why do I need 22k for KU ?

I guess this depends on what receiver you are using. If you've got a receiver with both C and Ku inputs and you ran dual coax to the LNBF then the switch may not be needed. If there's single input on your receiver then the switch is required to switch between the two bands on the NS741.

Yes they have been out of business for about 6 months.

Sorry, didn't see this until just now?? If it's been that long then it's been a well kept secret. Hate to see this as that's one more vendor that won't be around! Robbie took care of me on the problem I had with the NS741 I had so no complaints here.

The seller on ebay has not responded so so complaint has been escalated. I expect a refund.
Have ordered a different brand c/ku lnb and found out they are getting hard to find think because of the departure from BUD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)