rf paint on fiberglass bud

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

freezy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Land of Sky Blue Water
I found a 6' prime focus solid dish on an abandoned gas station. Its pretty thick but using a flashlight it looks like chicken wire inside. Could a guy increase gain as well as make a dish Ku compatible by coating with rf reflective paint?

I spent some time on the Ausie satellite site discussing that very question.
They never came up with a satisfactory paint.

You got some pictures of the dish 'n mount?

I spent some time on the Ausie satellite site discussing that very question.....

Can one read the mail on the Aussie satellite site and would you be willing to share the url???
Regards,
Mike Lib

Sorry, no secret. The Vetrun forum has a number of interesting bits on it.
It's very specific to that part of the world, their satellites, and their brands of equipment, so hardly a substitute for SatGuy's! :)

There are several threads over there worth a look.

One is building your own dish. Truth is, they came up with lots of great ideas.
The resultant dish was maybe 50-80% the performance of a commercial one.
I think the RF paint idea was a spin-off of that project.
In the end, I believe they found glued-on aluminum foil to be the better choice.
But, it's been a long time since I was on their site, so maybe they've some up with something new since then.

There's another thread where a fellow has 10 or 15 meter dishes.
Not feet ... meters!

The site's a great read, but it's kinda hard to fit in with the lads.
If they really want to hear what we have to say, they join our forums.
Their forum is more for discussion of local problems 'n solutions, and they don't cater to our interests nor problems.

I found a 6' prime focus solid dish on an abandoned gas station. Its pretty thick but using a flashlight it looks like chicken wire inside. Could a guy increase gain as well as make a dish Ku compatible by coating with rf reflective paint?

I've used silver filled paints for PC board repair. 1oz. bottle $10.00

Guy in St Thomas used Radiator Stop Leak (Powdered Aluminum) mixed in polyurethane varnish.

Best thing I found was aluminum window screen and 3M spray glue. Then Paint.

Keep it flat DVB signal requires < 1mm surface perfection minimum.

Doubtful you will increase gain.

Google Aluthane
It is a Aluminum Filled Urethane Metallic Coating Primer. It will reflect all the signal. I read a post where a guy tested the reflective property's of it and used some clear plexyglass and painted one part with the aluthane and one part with regular paint. He also left some clear put it front of a lnb and took a pic of his birdbog and it showed 99% same with the regular paint, but with the aluthane it when to 0%.

Here is the data file.

Attachments

• dataaluthane.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,343
If the wire mesh is inside the fiberglass and you paint the surface with refelctive pain, would you not be changing the point where the signal is refected? Would this not change the geometry of the dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)