RG6 rating question...

Rae

Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
We are getting ready to run a new rg6 cable to my box. The manual says to use rg6 cables rated for 950-2150 MHz. The cable we bought says swept to 3.0 ghz. Is this the right cable? Thanks!

I think what swept means is that a sample of that cable is tested by sending a signal from say 5 Mhz to 3,000 Mhz (3 Ghz) and seeing what the cable's response is. This basically determines if the cable stays at a 75 Ohm impedance over the frequency range and means that the loss versus frequency is gradual as it should be. The best specification would also mention what the SRL (Structural Return loss) is. This is a measure of impedance (Ohmage) or SWR. I think the best hardline cables for cable tv have an SRL of 30 db but RG type cables are more typicaly spec'd around 26 db SRL. I believe this also means if a cable has a signal on it, the imperfections in the cable will cause an echo signal to be set up that is 30 or 26 db weaker than the signal going in the forward direction. For analog video signals this shows up as a weak ghost to the right of the wanted signal- the more offset the ghost is the further away the mismatch is. For referance a direct short or a cable that is open (not terminated in a 75 Ohm load) has an SRL of 0 db meaning that the reflected echo is the same strength as the forward signal hitting the open or short.

So, will a cable not rated for 2.25 GHZ (2250 MHZ) not work with the Dish1000? I remember that DP required that rating in order to work. The manual does in fact state 950-2150 so would 950 work? I wonder why it would work with a Dish1000 but not other DP configurations? Is it due to it being DPP?

If Dish 1000 uses frequencies above 2.25 GHz you'll find distance limitations with the cable rated to only 2.25 GHz. What I'm saying is if a particular spec says you can only use 200 feet of cable between the dish and receiver using cable that's not rated to your upper limit will mean that it will not work at distances less than 200 feet OR said another way: you can get away with not rated cable for short distances it's the longer lengths that will cause you problems.

950-2150MHz is the frequency range that DishPro signals are sent down the cable.

That means the cable needs to be rated to at least 2150MHz (2.15GHz).

Neither D1000 nor DPPlus are relevant to the requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)