Right now I hate Directv. Error code 775

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not much changed. Tech did remove one of the ground lugs. Said grounding to splitter wasn't necessary. I added a 6 inch piece of 12 gauge copper between the ground lug and green screw on splitter (not pictured). Don't know if that was necessary, but it doesn't hurt. what you think?

6425a3f2.jpg

Couple more question. Our H21 has always been slow at responding to remote commands. Ship forward, ship back and channel change is slower than at the HR34. I saw th H25 at the local Directv dealer when I purchases the power inserter. Would that give me any improved performance? Is it something that I could get Directv to swap out with th H21 for no fee? also, is it something that I could install myself in place of th H21? What happens to the DECA adapter? Assume I wouldn't need that with the HR 34 and H25 combo. Reason I want the H25 is due to space issues. Thanks

Couple more question. Our H21 has always been slow at responding to remote commands. Ship forward, ship back and channel change is slower than at the HR34. I saw th H25 at the local Directv dealer when I purchases the power inserter. Would that give me any improved performance? Is it something that I could get Directv to swap out with th H21 for no fee? also, is it something that I could install myself in place of th H21? What happens to the DECA adapter? Assume I wouldn't need that with the HR 34 and H25 combo. Reason I want the H25 is due to space issues. Thanks

I see you are from York PA. I'm there every March for the Studebaker swap meet at the fairgrounds. The stretch along Rt 30 is pretty crazy, but the rest of the town is really nice.

Had the exact same problem. Inspected coax ends outside, at dish, and found that one of them going from SWM to one of the four cables coming from dish was corroded. Although it was only a couple weeks old, the connector was not of the weather-resistant variety / not made for outdoor use, and it had already allowed moisture in and corroded. I used it at the time because I had run out of the proper sort, and I just assumed it would last at least for a good while. Big mistake. Replaced it with a proper end and that was that - all transponders are at 95 or above when doing a signal strength check.

Moral of the story: don't EVER assume your connections are all good TODAY, just because they might have been good YESTERDAY. Yes, just sitting around apparently doing nothing, they can corrode.

makes sense. the power outage must have caused whatever problem I'm having. power inserter doesn't seem to be problem. is it possible for lnb to go bad?

Yes..Question, Which color cable is routed from the dish to the SWM Grey or black?

sorry, I'm new to this. is the switch the SWiM splitter outside? if so, I connected the coax coming from dish to the powered "red" wire. reset power inserter, then HR34, no change

6db9a4b8.jpg

The cable connected to the "power pass" port MUST be connected directly to the power inserter inside the house.

I'm thinking the ground is not necessary in this instance, the splitters can be al;most anywhere in the set up, cant expect to get a separate ground everywhere.

My splitter is inside the house and has no ground to it. that said, the ground spot is so small, I never knew it had one till I saw this picture, mine does not have a green screw and it is a very small set screw, doubt it's even big enough to put a ground on.
To be a spec install, the system must be grounded. If a ground to the d mark is available, the system should be grounded.

Not much changed. Tech did remove one of the ground lugs. Said grounding to splitter wasn't necessary. I added a 6 inch piece of 12 gauge copper between the ground lug and green screw on splitter (not pictured). Don't know if that was necessary, but it doesn't hurt. what you think?

6425a3f2.jpg

It looks like your system is now ungrounded....not a big deal. The green wire is connected to the ground block used by the cable system. If you wanted you could connect the splitter green screw to the ground block the cable folks are using...just push a piece of 10 ga through the hole in the ground block beside the other green wire
. Also be careful digging around there....one of the other possibilities that turned out to be not the case is a cut underground cable that connects that splitter to the dish & the single wire multiswitch.

Joe

Last edited:
I hate doing this but I'll ask again....Any suggestions? Really don't want to call in but may have to. The living room -100 DVR is not working either. I know I've got to be missing something.

One of the possibilities is that...IF you crunched all that cable, a splitter and a ground block into that box you may have dislodged a fitting.....probably the gray wire feeding the splitter. (Do mark that gray wire...the other one is not connected on the LNB side but can be a spare)........anyhow if both boxes are not working there has to be something common to them and that splitter and sat line are it. The other possibility is an intermittent failure of the SWM or the fitting. Try opening the box and letting the rat nest unravel. Just that act may get all working again.

The other thing I would want to look at are the fittings behind the wall plates. Builders and electricians use a twist on fitting because they don't want to buy the expensive tool for coax work. The twist on fittings fail without warning. Worth a look.

Report what it turns out to be.

Joe

THIS IS CONFUSING THERE ARE PICTURES FROM TWO DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTORS HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? HOW CAN IT BE STOPPED?

We have a newbie question mixed in with a different tech level commenting on stuff happening on different sites. There are two sets of pictures. I'm out...Ill watch how this one sorts itself.

Joe

THIS IS CONFUSING THERE ARE PICTURES FROM TWO DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTORS HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? HOW CAN IT BE STOPPED?

We have a newbie question mixed in with a different tech level commenting on stuff happening on different sites. There are two sets of pictures. I'm out...Ill watch how this one sorts itself.

Joe

I'm seconding this. Can we get 2 different threads? I didn't realize until now that this was a mixed thread :( FAIL

Ok not anymore...so carry on with the original Poster.
The other was moved to a thread called Please Help. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)