Roku Vs Smart TV

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
My bday is coming up and my folks hinted that they're getting my man cave a new 60" LED TV (am sure its more for their grandson but who am I to complain).

Am thinking.. what's better.. getting a Smart TV or a Non-Smart w/ Roku?

Opinions please..

Cheers, K

They are not the same actually. While there are a few limited apps both will have, a smart TV will have a few apps and technologies the Roku would not, and a non smart TV would not. As an example - a favorite of many is wirelessly streaming from your smartphone or tablet to the TV, especially something like Youtube that has a built in technology to to it automatically. That is just one example that takes a Smart TV to work. The LG 3D tv's have 3D apps that are updated with new material.

On the other hand, a Roku will have far more apps and a far more variety of them, and they most often will work better. In addition a Roku is portable. I just don't see the two technologies as being redundant, rather they intersect at a small point. Unless you are on a very tight budget, neither really costs much to get, in particular a Roku is available at prices that you can add it to whatever you already have in my opinion.

Got a smart Tv but but apps aren't all that. I do run the computer thru it with the Roku. My desktop Pc/media center is running thru the Tv also. A lot of the bigger Tv's now are smart Tv's though. If I had a choice I'd go with the Roku first

Limited space means I have to shop carefully.

Have roku (not the latest, greatest) and nice Vizio 26. New 29" will fit in RV and one new model is a smart Tv...but just spent some time searching "vizio apps" and got many entries where TV firmware updates caused issues with basic TV functions! This has me scared about going to an internet apps TV. Had hoped that a 29" "smart TV" would be perfect...but it kind of sounds like (at least Vizio) has the same problem Microsoft does....that being that some updates don't play nicely. Should I be scared of smart TV updates and steer clear as well? (costs more to upgrade roku AND the TV both....the smart TV would have helped the budget.)

Thats for the opinions... thought of having everthing on one remote would be great but now am going to think long and hard. I do enjoy my roku, a roku3 might now be in the cards.

Cheers, K

I wouldn't be put off by a smart tv, and if the deal is good, by all means, get one.

However, the roku is the best streaming option overall available right now Imo.

If you want Netflix and amazon and hulu, most smart tvs will meet those needs. A roku however will most likely meet them better, and add functionality.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

All I really care for are Hulu, Netflix, NHLCI and VUDU.. the rest is just gravy. The questions remains is paying an extra 200$ give or take worth the Smart TV version. This might be a game day decision...

This morning I asked my AV supplier the same question while we were configuring a setup and he offered to look into geting a screen @ cost for me. I wont hold my breath but it be cool nonetheless.

Cheers, K

Ditto on above mentioned portability. We moved it to another set tonight. EZpeezy.

Take into consideration that most of the Smart TV apps that are found in the TV can also be found in a Blu Ray player. If new apps appear that you want in a year or two, it is easier and cheaper to purchase a new Blu Ray player than a TV.

Take into consideration that most of the Smart TV apps that are found in the TV can also be found in a Blu Ray player. If new apps appear that you want in a year or two, it is easier and cheaper to purchase a new Blu Ray player than a TV.

My LG tv's smartapps upgrade themselves through the internet, and new ones are added at times. Redbox just got added a few days ago and is live now. So, it stays updated as much as a Roku, a Blu-Ray player, or any other internet appliance. No need to buy a new device, it's not like the old days where whatever was on it at purchase was "it" for life.

For those who followed this and my plasma vs LED thread.. I ended up w/ a Sony Bravia Smart. Very very pleased w/ it

Cheers, K

For those who followed this and my plasma vs LED thread.. I ended up w/ a Sony Bravia Smart. Very very pleased w/ it

Cheers, K

Sony makes a nice TV, I have one that's two years old and picture is still great...however, it now looses the TV guide information. I have to to do a factory reset (losing settings) and then it's good for about two more weeks. So if you use the guide off the TV, be prepared to loose it in two years :). I used it to get an idea whats on before deciding to firing up the AV receiver, dish receiver and/or HTPC.

Sony makes a nice TV, I have one that's two years old and picture is still great...however, it now looses the TV guide information. I have to to do a factory reset (losing settings) and then it's good for about two more weeks. So if you use the guide off the TV, be prepared to loose it in two years :). I used it to get an idea whats on before deciding to firing up the AV receiver, dish receiver and/or HTPC.

The regular guide they were broadcasting OTA went away this year. Your tv is probably now pulling it from the internet. Maybe there's a setting were you can point it ONLY at the internet permanently, instead of it looking in BOTH places, which might be what is confusing it.

The regular guide they were broadcasting OTA went away this year. Your tv is probably now pulling it from the internet. Maybe there's a setting were you can point it ONLY at the internet permanently, instead of it looking in BOTH places, which might be what is confusing it.

It's been pulling the tv guide from the internet since day 1. It's suppose to update over night, which it does after I perform full reset, but after two weeks, it becomes empty...this indicates that it got two weeks of info on the reset and doesn't update after that. I got a notice of a firmware update, which I applied...will see if this will fix this...

I wasn't aware that the local stations stopped broadcasting a guide; for my old HTPC (MythTv), I used Schedule Direct service until I switched to Win 7, but not sure how long MS will keep MCE and their guide service around though.

ROKU3 & KFOR4 OKLAHOMA CITY -- During the recent tornado outbreak I was able to watch local live coverage of KFOR via the ROKU3. The picture was of LOUSY quality, but it was nice to have the access.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts